Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Hunter of many things
12,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone hunt with a hearing device like a walkers game ear? Wonder how it works, is it beneficial at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
I hunt ith hearing aids, a pita, in that I lost one while hunting a couple years ago. That one cost $3500. I could have had a lot of fun with that money.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I know someone who uses the earmuff type, walker 360s for turkey and they said it helped a lot, I'm going to try them this season

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
I tried the Walker muffs for awhile.You could hear a chipmonk fart from a hundred yards but I couldnt tell direction of sound too well.

·
Hunter of many things
12,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What?

:wink:

Zap i was referring to walkers game ear not miracle ear!! LoL

·
Just Do It.....
30,245 Posts
I use sport ear behind the ear...if I sweat they short out. Actually if you can shoot with an ear muff on I would try Howard Leight 'impact sport'.

They are good and pretty affordable. I have a pair set up to work with 2 way radios.

I can use them with the xbow and firearm hunting but not with a compound because of the way I anchor. Some in the ear and behind the ear aids will give loud high frequency feedback from a watch cap/balaclava or putting your hand up by your ear to anchor...the deer then hit the road in high gear....trust me I have seen this with my own eyes after siting in very cold conditions for hours.

The impacts have a plug in that will allow you to listen to music or an e book, which is nice. I think they are around $50 which is a great way to try and see if it will work for you....very enhanced hearing with them. Great product that I have used for years without any trouble....they shut down on their own after a while of being left on so the batteries do not run out. Never had them shut off when using them thou.

View attachment 6334937

·
Hunter of many things
12,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I use sport ear behind the ear...if I sweat they short out. Actually if you can shoot with an ear muff on I would try Howard Leight 'impact sport'.

They are good and pretty affordable. I have a pair set up to work with 2 way radios.

I can use them with the xbow and firearm hunting but not with a compound because of the way I anchor. Some in the ear and behind the ear aids will give loud high frequency feedback from a watch cap/balaclava or putting your hand up by your ear to anchor...the deer then hit the road in high gear....trust me I have seen this with my own eyes after siting in very cold conditions for hours.

The impacts have a plug in that will allow you to listen to music or an e book, which is nice. I think they are around $50 which is a great way to try and see if it will work for you....very enhanced hearing with them. Great product that I have used for years without any trouble....they shut down on their own after a while of being left on so the batteries do not run out. Never had them shut off when using them thou.

View attachment 6334937
I dont think the muffs will work because of where i anchor, but i was thinking of trying the inner ear or behind the ear.

Good info thanks!!

·
Registered
152 Posts
I already where hearing aids, so I can't get any enhancements for my hearing. I never hear anything coming, but I still kill plenty of game. Just have to have a good set up

·
Registered
157 Posts
Why would I want to hear a squirrel 50 yrds away. :wink:

A buddy of mine had a good point. 9/10 times you never hear a deer coming. Usually see them first.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Thank god I lucked up and took care of my hearing when I was young (and still do). I'm blown away by what my father cannot hear.

"You hear that?"
"Nope."
"You don't hear that?"
"Nope."

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
I can't hear turkeys gobbling at any reasonable distance anymore. Sucks big time. With the walkers game ear you can hear them but good luck figuring out which direction they are

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
I can't hear turkeys gobbling at any reasonable distance anymore. Sucks big time. With the walkers game ear you can hear them but good luck figuring out which direction they are
This is the point I was trying to make.You can hear great but cant tell what direction the sound is coming from.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I broke down and bought the Wildear Master series enhancement plugs. they are custom fit and offer 4 different programs to help you choose one that works best for you and each one can be fine tuned on how much they "pick up". I found them helpful while listening for turkeys at dawn and sunset but I'm not sure how much they helped while calling. I didn't get that echo feel you get with others but there was something that just didn't seem quite right. I think my facemask caused some of the issues and I didn't care to walk while I had them in. it just seemed funky and I didn't like the way I felt. they have little things that you have to put in for shooting a gun and they actually fell out kind of easily I thought. but they definitely helped pick up on some things I know I never would have heard before and I feel like you can tell the direction the noise is coming from very well.

I tried them bow hunting and had the same problems with my facemask, if I would turn my head to far one way or another to look it would set off a high pitched noise like if the battery was going dead or you had the volume to high. just like with the turkey hunting I feel they did make an improvement in what I could hear but in the end I never did get really comfortable wearing them. they did better than I expected with wind noise, it had to be blowing pretty hard before I thought it messed with them.

I do plan to use them again in 2018 and I'm going to put a little more effort into getting used to them. the biggest drawback is the cost, they're pretty pricey to buy and not end up using. and the other drawback is if you don't like them you're SOL, they are custom fit. all in all I can say they helped but I'm not 100% sold on them. maybe after I take a little time and get used to them it will be better. we travel quite a bit and I have used them on a few road trips late at night to help me hear the radio while others sleep so there is that use I have lol. I should mention I have some hearing damage as my ears ring constantly, I have real hard time with noises like deer walking in leaves and anything high pitched or certain beeping noises, you can forget it, I cannot hear them. like our underground dog fence lol. when it gets a break in it I never know because I cannot hear the beep, my wife on the other hand can hear it coming from the garage with the door closed.

·
Registered
7,646 Posts
I had mine made at Cabelas where they make the mold of your ear for the hearing aid. Fit great. That custom fit will allow you to wear them longer then the premade stuff, way longer without any discomfort.

They work, but sometimes it is harder to locate exactly where the sound is coming from VS just using your own hearing. BUT, you will hear stuff from a long ways off, that is for sure. I hunt in deep cover, so it helps to alert me faster that a deer is in the area. I've heard deer moving more then once where I could hear them crystal clear BUT could not see them anywhere for several minutes, as they were a long ways off. Without the hearing aid in, I normally don't hear the deer until they are pretty close. So, is it worth it? I think so. Just be sure to keep extra batteries on you, because you'll be bummed out when they cut out on a hunt AND you are addicted to their benefit. I also keep a small pin on me to clean out the tube on the fly, as once it gets clogged with your ear wax the sound stops. Easy to clean it out with a pipe cleaner OR like I said, I small pin to stick up the tube to get the clog out.

·
Premium Member
4,970 Posts
Every time I get one of those hearing aid fliers in the mail, I think about how it might help my hunting. Just haven't bitten the bullet.... yet.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I use them sometimes, especially turkey hunting. I can't wear them if I am near a major road because the traffic noise drives me nuts.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts