Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Custom callmaker
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it happened again!!

I'll give a history and be breif.

Last year I followed a nice 8 pt. all summer and patterned him for opening day. Did not see him but a week into season I had him and two other bucks under my stand, but they came thru to fast for a shot. With the foilage still on you don't have much time to spot and then get into positionm for the spot, and they never stopped walking. 3 days later a neibhor got him. Oh well, it happens right?

Well again this year I noticed a lg. 10 pt in July kept tabs up untill season, he disapeared ,than about 2 weeks into season he showed up by my buddy at 20 yd but no shot. Less than a week later I had him at 30 yds. facing me , no shot. 1 week later guess what, neibhors relative got him !! That really sucks, my heart just sank.

Maybe I get to obbsesive over a particular deer, but I really thought my chances where really good. Makes me want to not hunt for a while, where do I go? I only had this one patterned, now I need more luck for a bruiser!!

Thanks for letting me greive!!

Good hunting to all, there still out there! (I THINK?)
Madarchery

·
Registered
455 Posts
I've been there, makes me want to hunt MORE, not less

madarchery,

I watched a very nice 150 class buck for a long time until my friend shot him. I'm sure it happened to a lot of us. Some people take it well, some don't. I wouldn't let it get to you.

I've seen grown men stomp around in a temper-tantrum after a buck "they have been hunting" gets killed. It was "their buck" in their mind. I have no idea how you can call a wild animal "mine" and somehow have dibs on it. It doesn't work that way, my friend.

Get back in the stand, the deer population in the US is at an all-time high, you'll get another shot sooner or later.

In the mean time, go congratulate your neighbor on a nice harvest.

Jim G,

·
Custom callmaker
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am happy, just was a goal, one that I new was a round and my freinds and I have been keeping tabs on him. We got so close a couple of times. Just sucks that the adventure is over with him.

Well just have to hunt harder to locate another bruiser.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Mad,

Consider yourself lucky to live in a area that holds a few "brusiers".......you could live next to me and still be searching for the first one, I started looking 8 weeks before the season, and now it is 11 weeks later and not one brusier spotted. Good thing I have all these out of state tags:D

·
Registered
371 Posts
That's a tough break but that's why they call it hunting, not shopping.

As to where to go? Pre-rut/chase phase means the briuser bucks will drop their patterns and start cruising. Find the best doe area you can get on and enjoy the show while waiting for what we call an "out of towner" to come visiting.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
mad, I feel your pain. I have been watching one since early July and he has been a no show since our opener on the 27th. Saw him last the Monday before the opener. I really would like to take this buck. My neighbors are slob hunters and go in for an hour and a half or two and if I don't get him during bow season they may very well take him. Plus they have 21 acres and let enough friends hunt that you would think they have 1000. I live here, they are weekenders. I know the animal is wild and I haven't been window shopping but it's still frustrating to have events unfold that way. Two and a half more weeks to get a shot at him. Good luck to you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts