Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who's tied of getting cold after an hour or two on stand. I sure am.

I just got the DeWalt heated jacket to use while hunting. It is lighter than most hunting jackets. The thought is that you only turn it on when you start to get cold but you won't sweat when walking. It has two USB charging ports for cell phone or accessories.

http://dewalt.com/tools/cordless-work-gear-heated-jackets-dchj062b.aspx

Iam planning to make my own heated hand muff and boot inserts that are powered by the 20v lithium battery. I seen on line a heating pad that is 2-3/4 x 7" USB powered. That would possibly work for all even though I would have to rotate what I use atone time.

http://www.google.com/search?q=usb+...hl=en&client=safari#biv=i|3;d|YQP3cYviUPFMYM:

Has anyone done anything like this before or made something simular? I know I will see posts pointing to the Heater Body Suit as an alternative. One problem with that is you have to pack it in and out and it is $$$.$$ expensive.

Am i carzy and what do you think about it?
Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
No, but you have my attention! Certainly there has to be a more economical way to keep warm than $100 underwear and $130 insoles and $500 jacket/pant combos!! (+ gloves/hats,etc...)

·
C:\My Documents\My Pictur
23,094 Posts
Who's tied of getting cold after an hour or two on stand. I sure am.

I just got the DeWalt heated jacket to use while hunting. It is lighter than most hunting jackets. The thought is that you only turn it on when you start to get cold but you won't sweat when walking. It has two USB charging ports for cell phone or accessories.

http://dewalt.com/tools/cordless-work-gear-heated-jackets-dchj062b.aspx

Iam planning to make my own heated hand muff and boot inserts that are powered by the 20v lithium battery. I seen on line a heating pad that is 2-3/4 x 7" USB powered. That would possibly work for all even though I would have to rotate what I use atone time.

http://www.google.com/search?q=usb+...hl=en&client=safari#biv=i|3;d|YQP3cYviUPFMYM:

Has anyone done anything like this before or made something simular? I know I will see posts pointing to the Heater Body Suit as an alternative. One problem with that is you have to pack it in and out and it is $$$.$$ expensive.

Am i carzy and what do you think about it?
Thanks for the input.

=======================

Hello and there is,
To have heat the wires need to be bigger than offered today.

Many moons ago. I used the red and gray socks. U could dial them up and down .They came with a 6 volt battery. I put a banana plug on them, and plugged them into a **** light. Took the bottom off one sock and placed it across my kidney area.Cold weather was no problem.

Now the picture of the back one. It uses D battery's. Take them out and rewire them for 12 or 18 volt. [ Later

Attachments

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Im thinking of trying to take the wires out of a heated blanket....and getting usb power from a 18volt milwaukee battery would this work

·
C:\My Documents\My Pictur
23,094 Posts
Im thinking of trying to take the wires out of a heated blanket....and getting usb power from a 18volt milwaukee battery would this work
Hello
Why not hook the battery to blanket before you cut it up.
The red batter in the picture is rechargeable and they come in different voltages.And has a rheostat.

I'm sure there are smaller heating pads out there one might try.[ Later

·
Registered
177 Posts
last year i bought the Columbia heated vest that last like 4 hours on low 3 hours on med. and 2 hours on high(but i think mine lasted longer) it was $150 and the best money i spent helped me get threw all day hunts a lot easier. sad news i heard though that Columbia was eliminating there heating line(hope its a rumor) cause they work great!!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
yea all usb ports are 5 volt there are three different versions 1.0, 2.0, 3.0 . all 5 volts but different MA (milliamps) from 500 MA to 1500 MA.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Look up diy heated vest. I made a vest, hand muff and heated insoles using 30awg teflon coated wire out of the clothing I already had. 100' of wire was l8ke $20. I made connections out of 2 pole electric connectors and a teather out of speaker wire. I bought a small motorcycle battery that I power them with. It easily sits in my backpack and I can connect either or all as I need them. I did try using an 18v nicad battery off my cordless drill but it drained down super fast. The motorcycle battery lasts me all day if I use it sparingly. Btw u wont stay hooked up long because they heat up quick. Works for me for about 15 years . Good luck.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Got the jacket and it works good. Started with a 1-1/2 amp hour battery but it didnt last but 3-4 hours on high. Bought 2 dewalt 20 volt 4 amp hour batteries and they are much better. Havnt got the inserts for the boots and gloves yet. So far so good.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I really need some heated gear, just dont have any money at the moment. I have a circulation disorder (that causes my body to shunt blood flow away from my extremities if im even a tiny bit cold) aswell as a condition that means i generally am about a pint low on blood at all times lol so my extremities are always cold even if im burning up. Iv had mild frost bite more time than i can count and lost a lot of feeling in my toes. I could possibly try making something...
But when/if you get the boot/glove inserts, let us know how they work

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Here's my idea for an "on the cheap" design. I haven't had the time to do it yet but I figured I'd throw it out there for y'all in case someone wants it before I can get around to it.
I found super cheap usb powered bunny slippers on eBay for like $7. Best part is the heaters are removable so you can walk away from your computer. My plan was buy a pair of those, sew or glue the warmers to a slide in insole, and build a battery pack like the video below to plug them into.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGFJBroFny8

I think it would work. I wouldn't use it as a continuous thing. Just turn it on and off as my toes got cold. What do you think.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Here's my idea for an "on the cheap" design. I haven't had the time to do it yet but I figured I'd throw it out there for y'all in case someone wants it before I can get around to it.
I found super cheap usb powered bunny slippers on eBay for like $7. Best part is the heaters are removable so you can walk away from your computer. My plan was buy a pair of those, sew or glue the warmers to a slide in insole, and build a battery pack like the video below to plug them into.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGFJBroFny8

I think it would work. I wouldn't use it as a continuous thing. Just turn it on and off as my toes got cold. What do you think.

Come on now, it doesn't get that cold in NJ!! Kidding aside.....for those looking for inspiration (ideas to rip off) look at heated clothing marketed to motorcyclists and snowmobilers, I believe it is 12V. Also I know my sister uses heated insoles in her ski boots, powered by a rechargeable battery that clips to the back of the boot, do not know any specs.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Come on now, it doesn't get that cold in NJ!! Kidding aside.....for those looking for inspiration (ideas to rip off) look at heated clothing marketed to motorcyclists and snowmobilers, I believe it is 12V. Also I know my sister uses heated insoles in her ski boots, powered by a rechargeable battery that clips to the back of the boot, do not know any specs.
I think I can speak for everyone here when I say that we'd all love to go the hatred motorcycle clothing route. However, that stuff is flipping expensive.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts