Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend I am going to sit in the tree most of the day, but I am trying something new. I was thinking of setting my ground blind up below with my little buddy heater for when I get cold. That way, I am not moving.

For you guys that have run a heater in your blind, did you feel it increased your scent signature? lowered? or no noticeable effect?
thanx!

·
Just Do It.....
30,245 Posts
I have never run one in a blind. I run one in my slide in camper, but I dont park it under the tree. I do walk back to the truck to get warm. I have never noticed any noticable odor from my big buddy. Heat rises so any odor would want to rise with it or so it would seem. There is the noise though. Hope it works out for u.

marty

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
I had to hunt from a blind with a heater during the late season in Nebraska before and it worked just fine. Arrowed a nice 9 pointer at 19 yards while I was nice and cozy in the blind.

·
Arenac Archer
544 Posts
I don't use a heaterr when bow hunting because of the fear of the scent. I do notice that the ground blind is alot warm than the air outside once you get in there though.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I dont use one while archery hunting because of the 20 yards ranges that I like...and I am affraid of scent..

YES in a ground blind while rifle hunting... They arent going to sell anything at 100 yards... plus it will keep you warmer and in the stand longer.

I used one last year and we shot two deer within 35 yards with the rifle... NOT A PROBLEM.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I've had deer within 10 yards and downwind of my blind with a heater going. Didn't seem to be a problem.

OlGord

·
Registered
269 Posts
I tried it once last season when the temps were in the -20's, inside frosted up then thawed, like hunting in the rain.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
I use one all the time. Keeps me warmer and deer do not notice it. I wouldn't hunt without it when the temp drops!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Just gear up for the weather, the deer will come.

If you hunt with the wind, I don't believe a heater will effect your hunt.
Two of the guys I know, burned up their ground blinds with heaters, just need to be very careful.
I have never used a heater, even when it’s below zero. But it's about time to give it a try.
At my age I like the blind just to be out of the wind when the temperature drops & the wind howls.
Just gear up for the weather, the deer will come.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
I used mine this morning and had deer 18 yards from me. They ignored me...

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
I have used one since I started blind hunting two years ago.No problem at all with the deer.If they smell it,it don't seem to bother them....Give it a try.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
I very rarely hunt out of a blind but last year decided to use one and My Buddy heater for a late season hunt. I had set the blind on Wednesday and walked out there Sunday dressed somewhat light carrying my heater. First bad thing was the four inches of snow we had gotten broke two rods on the Brickhouse.:mad: Next the new propane bottle lasted 15 minutes and ran out.:confused: The wife failed to tell me she had been playing with it.:fuming: I froze my mad @#$ off.:binkybaby: On a good note the Buddy heater works well makes no scent i can detect and its quiet.:darkbeer:

·
Registered
206 Posts
I use the Mr. Heather portable Buddy heater....it came with a soft nylon case. It has a pocket on each side that holds one propane canister each. I haven't used it yet this year but did last year alot while yote hunting inside my pop-up blind. Really kept me warm when temps were single digit or below freezing.

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
I use the Buddy Heater.I have also used the small vertical Coleman.The Buddy puts out more heat,and on a side note.I always keep a spare bottle of fuel in the blind.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
on a side note.I always keep a spare bottle of fuel in the blind.
Never claimed I was smart:embara: I was over being mad by the time I got home. The wife didn't even feel sorry for me she just laughed.:set1_rolf2:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts