Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all the commotion going on around heavy arrows. Do you think some archery shops are not jumping on board(whether is right or wrong) because they are out of the specs for the manufacturers equipment they represent?

·
The Impartial Archer
19,885 Posts
They definitely want to sell you what they have in the shop. My guess is if they are that into heavy arrows they'd have them in the shop too.

PS don't forget heavy arrows aren't new really.......it's light arrows that are new. in the big picture.

Heavy arrows were all we had up until about the late 90's and since then people have been going lighter and lighter. IMHO it's simply at the point where people are seeing the difference and "some" are going back to heavy(er) arrows for hunting.

Don't get that confused with 600+ grain arrows.......that's a different thing altogether.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
The smaller, independent bow shops will most likely start catering to the heavier arrow market long before the big corporate sporting goods chains. Decisions, in most chain stores, are generally made by MBA's, who don't even hunt or shoot bows. They just analyze past sales trends over years. They have no clue what the latest archery/bowhunting trends are. That's why most big chain stores only carry 100 grain broadheads now.

Smaller, independent bow shops will be much more likely to meet the needs of their customers.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Nothing wrong with heavier arrows. They have always been here. But the problem is, and I’m not scared to say it. And yes, I’m pointing fingers at Ranch Fairy, because he pushes crazy stiff , outrageous foc, but fails to go into detail about proper arrow building. That’s why you see these “ uneducated “ arrow builders trying to run 300 grains up front on a 400 spine arrow, because “ someone” said “it’s the right way”, and “ it’s better”. Again, anyone can waste speed , money, time or anything they wish, and shoot crazy heavy weights. Or unneeded foc, BUT , if you are going to do that, at least take the time and learn how to do it the correct way, But I’ve never seen any difference in penetration, or killing a deer with an arrow over 450-500 grains. I don’t even run that. I’m under 400 grains with 60# at 276fps , and actually shot a deer today at 36 yards, and arrow went right through her and she actually dropped her head to keep feeding and realized she had been hit, then ran a little ways. Now , would a 600 grain arrow had done any different? How could it? Oh, and it’s only about 9% foc. But again. Each do them, but I will always say, it’s a waste of weight and money, with no benefit whatsoever. A 40# bow with a 300 grains will fly through a deer at 20 yards. But so will an 80# bow and 700 grain arrow. But dead is dead. No such thing as “ deader”

·
Registered
HalonX 65.5Lbs 590 grain
1,117 Posts
When you come to the dark side you dont get to shop at small shops or any shop, its all on line, try buying a 200 or 250 grain field tip or broad head they will look at you like your crazy

·
Registered
912 Posts
Nothing wrong with heavier arrows. They have always been here. But the problem is, and I’m not scared to say it. And yes, I’m pointing fingers at Ranch Fairy, because he pushes crazy stiff , outrageous foc, but fails to go into detail about proper arrow building. That’s why you see these “ uneducated “ arrow builders trying to run 300 grains up front on a 400 spine arrow, because “ someone” said “it’s the right way”, and “ it’s better”. Again, anyone can waste speed , money, time or anything they wish, and shoot crazy heavy weights. Or unneeded foc, BUT , if you are going to do that, at least take the time and learn how to do it the correct way, But I’ve never seen any difference in penetration, or killing a deer with an arrow over 450-500 grains. I don’t even run that. I’m under 400 grains with 60# at 276fps , and actually shot a deer today at 36 yards, and arrow went right through her and she actually dropped her head to keep feeding and realized she had been hit, then ran a little ways. Now , would a 600 grain arrow had done any different? How could it? Oh, and it’s only about 9% foc. But again. Each do them, but I will always say, it’s a waste of weight and money, with no benefit whatsoever. A 40# bow with a 300 grains will fly through a deer at 20 yards. But so will an 80# bow and 700 grain arrow. But dead is dead. No such thing as “ deader”
lol. You haven’t paid attention to what RF actually says if you think he’s promoting what you’re claiming. I’ve never seen him push stiff spines or outrageous FOC. He has experimented with such things and talked about it, but what he “pushes” is a properly flying arrow out of a properly tuned bow, sharp Broadheads, etc.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
lol. You haven’t paid attention to what RF actually says if you think he’s promoting what you’re claiming. I’ve never seen him push stiff spines or outrageous FOC. He has experimented with such things and talked about it, but what he “pushes” is a properly flying arrow out of a properly tuned bow, sharp Broadheads, etc.
He doesn't really know how to tune a bow very well though. He focuses too much on tuning the arrow to the bow, and not looking at it as two parts of a system enough. Of course, he gets better broadhead flight with a heavier and slower arrow. An arrow's air resistance (and ability to plane) is proportional to the cube of the velocity (stick your hand out the window of a car at 15, 30, 45, and 60 mph and you'll see....this is also why it is really hard to make cars that go well over 200 mph while it is easy to make one go 100 mph). This is half of the effect of FOC. If you keep the same arrow and keep adding point weight, you are slowing the arrow down and the broadhead will plane much less simply because it is slow. Even the difference between a 290 and 265 fps arrow is very noticeable regarding how sensitive broadhead flight is to tune and form. Most of the insert and nock tuning he advocates can be eliminated by squaring both ends of the arrow and also the insert after installation (using a high quality nock system helps also....some say that misalignment at the nock end is more important than at the front, which makes sense given that is where the force is applied). He made a video showing how to keep your arrow from lifting off your rest during draw, and he actually advocated putting a brass nock above the arrow to pinch the arrow down onto the rest, which is crazy.

He simply uses a con man trick of making people feel smart and good for agreeing with him and casting those that disagree with him as dumb. Every video he makes that gets 50,000 views puts around $100 in his pocket.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Any shop I've been in, not one person in them thinks this trend is a good idea for the average hunter. And they have guys that come in with 80# bows and 600-700 grain arrows, and they just shake their heads and sell them whatever they want. But if you ask any of them their honest opinions, they think those guys are mislead. For context, it's all about whitetail in my area so you can kill them with dirty look.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Just remember regardless of what field you are in...the more outside the norm...the more you are on your own. But now, with the internet. People are sharing knowledge worldwide, that use to be reserved to smaller groups of people, and usually some guy who just obsessed about wrenching on something. And the only guys who knew what he or she was doing, where the ones who hung around them.

And also a lot of it is just seeing what you can do. I mean some guys are happy with 375 horse out of their GTO...and some guys 500 hp...and some will never stop looking for the most and the bragging rights that go along with it. Even if 200 of the horsepower can't really be used because you can't put it on the ground ...somebodies gonna want it.

Follow the crossbow evolution, holy cow.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Any shop I've been in, not one person in them thinks this trend is a good idea for the average hunter. And they have guys that come in with 80# bows and 600-700 grain arrows, and they just shake their heads and sell them whatever they want. But if you ask any of them their honest opinions, they think those guys are nuts. For context, it's all about whitetail in my area.
Modern bow technology means that you can pick a middle point that really isn't a big compromise. What I mean is, if you shoot a modern bow with a 450 grain arrow, you get to enjoy good penetration and good trajectory. When you go to super heavy arrows, you are giving up the advantage of good trajectory to add extra penetration that is hardly ever needed. RF is causing people to give up a big advantage of modern technology.

·
Registered
771 Posts
They're not jumping on board because they still have truckloads of 400 spines they've gotta off-load. They've also got a crap-ton of 100gr broadheads to sell as well. All this on top of a supply shortage. What sense does it make to order heavier, stiffer spined arrows at a markup due to shortage, when you have a large quantity of 400's, 350's, & 340s laying around unsold?

Heavier arrows aren't out of specs for bows. Bows are made to be tuned to nearly any adequate-spined arrow build.

·
Registered
771 Posts
, I’m pointing fingers at Ranch Fairy, because he pushes crazy stiff , outrageous foc, but fails to go into detail about proper arrow building. That’s why you see these “ uneducated “ arrow builders trying to run 300 grains up front on a 400 spine arrow, because “ someone” said “it’s the right way”, and “ it’s better”.
This is a straight up dishonest statement.

The RF goes through, in many videos, what is called "The Process". It's sole intention is to help hunters who have become dissatisfied of their penetration results. His process explains spines (both static and dynamic), how FOC impacts it, and how to build arrows. His tuning methods are a bit archaic, however they work for those who don't have a bowpress or can't run to the local archery shop on a whim.

Also, RF has come out stated on a few occasions that what he recommends to whitetail hunters is about 550gn TAW.

I say all this to ask you, please stop spreading dishonest information just because you don't like his online personality. It's one thing to dislike and disagree with him, it's another thing to willfully spread bad information.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
98% of people are going to buy the 500,400,340 spine range. Why cater to the 2%. They are practically giving away 125 grain G5 Dead meat broadheads by me. Even in a shortage no one wants 125 grain.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts

The RF goes through, in many videos, what is called "The Process". It's sole intention is to help hunters who have become dissatisfied of their penetration results. His process explains spines (both static and dynamic), how FOC impacts it, and how to build arrows. His tuning methods are a bit archaic, however they work for those who don't have a bowpress or can't run to the local archery shop on a whim.

Also, RF has come out stated on a few occasions that what he recommends to whitetail hunters is about 550gn TAW.

I say all this to ask you, please stop spreading dishonest information just because you don't like his online personality. It's one thing to dislike and disagree with him, it's another thing to willfully spread bad information.
I bet you could line up three of those giant Texas does and with a Man bow launch a 550 grain arrow and kill all 3 with one shot. Heavy arrows work great when your feeder is 15 yards.

·
Registered
771 Posts
98% of people are going to buy the 500,400,340 spine range. Why cater to the 2%. They are practically giving away 125 grain G5 Dead meat broadheads by me. Even in a shortage no one wants 125 grain.
This could also be that G5 is no longer selling the Deadmeats on their site. I think they're being discontinued and due to the megameat. You can only find Deadmeat collars on G5s site.

·
Registered
Elite Valor 70# ,Sword single pin, Element arrows, 20 percent Foc
309 Posts
I bet you could line up three of those giant Texas does and with a Man bow launch a 550 grain arrow and kill all 3 with one shot. Heavy arrows work great when your feeder is 15 yards.
I shoot a 552 grain set up at 26 inch draw out of an elite which is not a speed bow by no means and stack them just fine out to 40 which is all I need in the Hoosier hard wood which I hunt.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts

You're cherry picking and stringing together his coherent thoughts spread out over several videos in order to make him seem like he knows something. If what you say is true, then he should preface things with "this is how you tune a bow if you don't have the knowledge or equipment to do it correctly".

·
Registered
771 Posts
You're cherry picking and stringing together his coherent thoughts spread out over several videos in order to make him seem like he knows something. If what you say is true, then he should preface things with "this is how you tune a bow if you don't have the knowledge or equipment to do it correctly".
Your dislike for RF has turned into derangement I see.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts