Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've also been watching the Ranch Fairy and I'm very much on board with the idea of good arrow flight for hunting. His process seems to be good.
set up bowtech allergen at 80 bls at 29" draw
2219 xx78 arrows 28" 125 grain muzzy shoot great 586g with a 9% foc
TM hunter rest
off the string with no loop
i put on 200 grain it started a low tear. the higher i go the worst the tear. i check to make sure my bow is center it is. i even went to 20 yards and you can see the arrow diving. this is bear shaft. because i come off the string with the release could this cause the problem or is the bow out of time. the bow supposed to be time 2 years ago when i have the new string put on from a good string maker. i have not really shot the bow alot maybe 1000 times if that. because of my age and no place to really shoot it. now i can shoot that bow at my new house so it will be used alot. i dont want to change arrows because i dont like carbon that much because i dont feel they are as good as the xx78. i not going to change anything until the season is over but i am starting to work on it the new set up. my goal is getting my foc up to 19+ with 250 arrow i can get it to 19. i always had a problem with 2" vains i used 4" now and what i have read this set up i can start using 2' vain. this may have been my problem along. i been using heavy arrows for 20+years. from ranch fairy and ed ashby i understand it alot more. can explain it better to other. i did not know FOC was so importing issue. my goal is having a set up i can kill anything i want, this has always been my goal.
another question i have at 586g arrows i get about 268fps going to 650 or 729g arrows how much fps do you think i may loose.

· Registered
5,136 Posts
Maybe lower the rest a touch or either raise the dloop a little. I am shooting a the 2219 cut at 30 inches with a 200 grain COC fixed broadhead. I have a 29 inch draw set at 60 lbs. Total arrow weight of 685 grains at 209 fps.

· Registered
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe lower the rest a touch or either raise the dloop a little. I am shooting a the 2219 cut at 30 inches with a 200 grain COC fixed broadhead. I have a 29 inch draw set at 60 lbs. Total arrow weight of 685 grains at 209 fps.
What do you think about the arrow speed? Do think you have problems with jump the string?

· The Impartial Archer
24,835 Posts
I like heavy arrows maybe not RF heavy but heavy. IMHO when you tune like that you are basically backing into a tune. IOW you are using the point weight to adjust for the spine like you would for a recurve. I mean you can do that but I don't think it's the best way because with a compound (unlike a trad bow) you can adjust for a tune in other ways......like moving the rest or shimming the cams etc.

Plus with a shot through rest and no worries about clearing the riser (archer paradox) spine isn't as critical on a compound.......to little can be but it's hard to get too much.

IMHO you are better off picking the target weight you want (for me that's 8 GPP) and the FOC you want and then pick an arrow with the proper spine & GPP to achieve that. Then just tune it like normal.

In the end you end up tuned, with the weight you wanted, the FOC you wanted and the FPS you expected. Or I guess you can back into and end up wherever.

· Registered
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Try using a d loop, and you will still have to tune bow to arrow no matter what point weight you use. and paper tune is just the first step in tuning.
i try a d loop. the problem is i have to take my off the game to hook it. but thank you for the advise

· Registered
8,903 Posts
as for your speed...I shoot a Revolt X and a Realm X at 30" draw set at 70lbs. my arrows weigh around 620 with at least 19% FOC. my speeds on both bows are between 242 and 247fps. I hope this gives you some comparison. but getting your FOC up is a great idea!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.