Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 511 Posts

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the resurgence of heavy arrows these days I'm wondering how much of a good thing is too much... How much speed loss is worth shooting a heavy arrow for some of you?

Would you shoot a 500 grain arrow if it meant you'd only get 220 fps or would you opt for something a little lighter?

Just for fun, who shoots the slowest bow on Archerytalk? :)

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I like 270-280 FPS with as heavy as I can get. I'm shooting a 421 grain arrow around 278. Good balance of speed versus weight. Had to use brass inserts to get there. But man do they fit well.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Well...I'll tell you in a month.

I went to a 520 grain arrow out of my HCA Excalibur to quiet it down. It did a great job of cutting noise. Pretty dang quiet now. By the pin gaps I have now, I'll say it is in the 225ish range.

·
Banned
18,551 Posts
Running 500 grains out of the LF2 in my sig 293 fps. Thinking bout a knightmare with 80lb limbs and 600 grain arrow at around 280-282

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
507 gr @ 334 fps. i would rather shoot 500 @ 220 vs 300 @ 300

·
Registered
726 Posts
I never would. Do a simple KE calculator, very little if none is gained by reducing your speed and increasing your weight. I will take speed over weight any day. A flatter shooting arrow increases accuracy, its also what keeps you from missing the vitals when that deer jumps the string (will eventually happen). I've gone from heavy and slow (280fps) to fast and light (365gr). I've crunched the numbers and put both into practice with real life applications. Heck, I've had my worst penetration with my heavier setup. Some people are stubborn and can't be helped. Shoot whatever makes you happy. Just remember, there's LOTS of kids and women getting pass thrus with 40lb bows and 300gr arrows. Theres no replacement for shot placement.

·
Registered
495 Posts
My 440 grain arrows at 270 fps are quiet as can be and group extremely well. They work great with my 1 3/4" Swackers and are lethal on deer. I don't think I would shoot anything that slowed my bow down to 220 though unless my shooting distance was pretty short . The trajectory and pin gaps would be too much different from what I'm used to.

·
Registered
7,886 Posts
I never would. Do a simple KE calculator, very little if none is gained by reducing your speed and increasing your weight. I will take speed over weight any day. A flatter shooting arrow increases accuracy, its also what keeps you from missing the vitals when that deer jumps the string (will eventually happen). I've gone from heavy and slow (280fps) to fast and light (365gr). I've crunched the numbers and put both into practice with real life applications. Heck, I've had my worst penetration with my heavier setup. Some people are stubborn and can't be helped. Shoot whatever makes you happy. Just remember, there's LOTS of kids and women getting pass thrus with 40lb bows and 300gr arrows. Theres no replacement for shot placement.
The calculators are wrong. Ke always increases with arrow weights, up to 1000+ grains thanks to a forum member. You never lose KE. Plus KE shouldn't be what you want. MO or momentum is what you want. And that always rises. You are wrong

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Many advantages to shooting a relatively heavy arrow. I don't get too carried away but was shooting a 447 grain arrow out of a 60 pound bow at 261 fps. Very accurate, quiet and amazing penetration. Currently shooting 488 grains out of a 70 pound bow. I see no reason to shoot more than 280-285 with my hunting set-up. If bows become efficient enough for me to shoot more than 285 fps with a heavy arrow I'll just shoot lighter draw weight.

·
Registered
726 Posts
KE only increases if speed remains constant. Incase you didn't read the original post, we are referring to decreasing speed and increasing the weight. And I'm wrong? You just trumped physics with your opinion, good job genius. I stated my reasons and benefits to speed vs weight. I understand momentum, hence why I stated added benefits outside of just energy generated. Theres always a couple tards like you that chime in on these "heavy vs speed" threads. Its opening a can of worms

·
Registered
726 Posts
Lol. I said it will go up little if any. That is very little. You just backed up my original post. Thank you. Looks like the human torch showed up..... Flame on!!!

·
Registered
1,429 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Not sure where you came up with speed "preventing" a deer from jumping the string. Are you reading my posts? It seems you're struggling to follow along.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Not sure where you came up with speed "preventing" a deer from jumping the string. Are you reading my posts? It seems you're struggling to follow along.
Everything you have said has been inaccurate, so what's the advantages of speed over weight?

·
Registered
726 Posts
Everything you have said has been inaccurate, so what's the advantages of speed over weight?
Inaccurate? Based off what? I have real life applications to back up my position of choosing speed over weight. I've done both and formulated my stance. What have you done?

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Innacurate? Based off what? I have real life applications to back up my position of choosing speed over weight. I've done both and formulated my stance. What have you done?
I asked what are the advantages of less weight for more speed vs less speed for more weight? I need not do anything its all been done.

1 - 20 of 511 Posts