Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading many threads on arrow weight, KE and momentum I'm now thinking about my arrows. I'm shooting a Z-28 and an Answer both 28/60. I already have 2 dozen arrows that weight 350gr. With my specs I did a KE calculation and came up with 66# on the Answer and 56# on the Z. I plan on shooting pigs and deer, nothing bigger. I know everyone will say heavier is better but both my bows are dialed in with the arrows I already have.

Will these arrows/KE be sufficient for me?

·
She's baaaaack!!!!
20,525 Posts
I started blowing cleanly through small to mid-size Virginia deer most of the time when my 410 grain arrows began hitting around 240 fps. I believe they had about 52# KE. You're getting a lot more than that so I'd bet your 56# will easily get the job done with a reasonable size broadhead. 66# of KE will put a nice size broadhead through most anything within reason. Something like a G5 Striker or NAP HellRazor on the front of your arrow will get the job done.

I put a 345 gr arrow traveling at 280 fps through an elk while centering one rib. That arrow has about 60 lbs. of KE.

·
Shootin and Cussin
23,649 Posts
I'd look at the Muzzy line. That Trocar tip really works well on oinkers.

I prefer the 100gr 4 blade for everything.

·
Registered
827 Posts
My arrows are 365-370gr. Bows are 29/70. I've had 2 not pass through on big hogs. And 1 not pass through on a buck, lodged in off side shoulder. The rest of the 60-70 kills the past several years with this setup have been pass throughs

1 - 6 of 6 Posts