Archery Talk Forum banner

Heavy mechanical broadheads

842 Views 13 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  roosiebull
Well, we've made it to the offseason here in Texas. I love tinkering with setups, and as such recently built a 565gr arrow with 18.8% front of center using a 200gr head. I'm not here to argue on FOC or the arrow build itself, but it flies great and is a hammer. The primary application for this setup would be for big game (elk, nilgai, etc), but wouldn't mind being able to slip on a larger diameter head for whitetail and pigs if I felt like it. That being said, I'm curious if anybody has any recommendations on a heavy mechanical, say 175gr or larger? I found the Valkyrie Deathswitch, which look OK, but not crazy about the angle of their blades nor having to use their components. Any and all input is welcomed!

Thanks,
MZ
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Premium Member
690 Posts
Once you get above 150 grains they are few and far between. You can get Sevr, Cobra Barbarian, Evolution Hyde and quite a few others in 150.

Crimson Talon makes an excellent budget head. I wouldn't put the blades in the same durability class as Sevr though. They are a cheap 420 J2 which get the job done and sharpen nice but aren't high end.

You can get the K2 mini in 175. Which is just a 150 with a weight collar so you're not getting any added strength.

· Registered
514 Posts
I am running the same weight but lower focus with a 150 gr mech. Most are listed, but grim reaper also has a 150. I like the hyde but a few others intrigue me. I found no issues with penetration with bowing through deer and getting plenty of penetration on elk.

· Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Appreciate the responses! I've got a few in 125gr laying around so not sure it's worth biting off on a 150gr, but maybe if somebody puts some on sale. It just doesn't seem like it would be that hard for a major manufacturer to spin these up, even if they were special order only.

· Registered
33 Posts
Well, we've made it to the offseason here in Texas. I love tinkering with setups, and as such recently built a 565gr arrow with 18.8% front of center using a 200gr head. I'm not here to argue on FOC or the arrow build itself, but it flies great and is a hammer. The primary application for this setup would be for big game (elk, nilgai, etc), but wouldn't mind being able to slip on a larger diameter head for whitetail and pigs if I felt like it. That being said, I'm curious if anybody has any recommendations on a heavy mechanical, say 175gr or larger? I found the Valkyrie Deathswitch, which look OK, but not crazy about the angle of their blades nor having to use their components. Any and all input is welcomed!

Thanks,
MZ
would you consider adding insert weight instead of broadhead weight? That may open up your options.

· Registered
8,488 Posts
I am running the same weight but lower focus with a 150 gr mech. Most are listed, but grim reaper also has a 150. I like the hyde but a few others intrigue me. I found no issues with penetration with bowing through deer and getting plenty of penetration on elk.
SWAT also has 2 new 150 heads.

Reactions: Mondakfisher

· Registered
514 Posts
Yeah there are not a ton out there but a couple good ones that should provide you with what you want. what exactly are you looking for? FYI the Evolution Hyde and the deathswitch is the same head. Valkrie contracted evolution outdoors to make that for them in their Valkyrie system.

· Registered
818 Posts
I really like the Sevr Robusto (150 gr). I have 100% confidence in this head.
I have also shot the bi-polar broadhead (165 g) and while I do not like it as much as sevr, it's a solid option too. I don't run their shear pins but rather dental bands on the mechanical blades.

· Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
would you consider adding insert weight instead of broadhead weight? That may open up your options.
I try and keep all the arrows the same with a 50gr insert and a 10gr collar. That said I'd agree that's probably the most straight forward way to get where I want to be.

· Registered
94 Posts
Exactly! My TAW is 521 grains with only a 100 grain Sevr Titanium 2.0" cut....but I have a 100 grain brass insert in my GT 300's. FOC is 15.2% and it zips right through them with a 60# DW and only 243 FPS.

A 125 grain head gets me 17.4% FOC and I lose 7 FPS. I like the 100 grain head just fine.

· Registered
16,127 Posts
I try and keep all the arrows the same with a 50gr insert and a 10gr collar. That said I'd agree that's probably the most straight forward way to get where I want to be.
Yeah, I really want to go back to hit inserts, because I like them best, but the ability to add weight to the insert sure is nice for versatility. Currently my program isn’t perfect, but I’m shooting the stock half outs on my BE rampage, and just use hot melt so I can replace inserts as they develop a wobble, which they ultimately do… I miss a sleeved hit though, it’s just a good system but limits my broadhead choices

1 - 14 of 14 Posts