Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for you guys shooting heavy poundage bows. I’m shooting an 80+ lb Hoyt and just ordered an 80lb Centergy. I am currently shooting BE Spartans with a 250 spine. I have a 30 grain weight up front with a 100 grain head on a 29” Arrow. My problem is I have a 30.5” Draw. I’d like to lengthen my arrow by a half inch or maybe an inch so my broadheads clear the riser shelf a little
better. Well if I do that I’m really walking a fine line with the 250 spine arrow. I see on BEA spine chart they have listed 150 spine. Does anyone know if these are made or if any company out there makes a spine stiff enough that I’m not walking that fine line. I like shooting heavy arrows and I like an 80 lb bow because I like shooting distance and want my hunting setup as lethal as can be. I’m not looking to change my bow setup I’m just looking to gain some more info on arrow selection. I know Easton makes a dangerous game shaft but I would be looking at over 700 grain Arrow finished. That’s a little too heavy lol. Thank you in advance for any input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,585 Posts
Element makes a 200 spine. So does gold tip.

My question is does your broadhead hit the riser. If not and your shoot8ng good there is no reason to change it.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wanted to try ramcats. They clear but are way to close for comfort. I even got new arrows and indexed the broadheads to be at 9 o’clock like they say.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Question for you guys shooting heavy poundage bows. I’m shooting an 80+ lb Hoyt and just ordered an 80lb Centergy. I am currently shooting BE Spartans with a 250 spine. I have a 30 grain weight up front with a 100 grain head on a 29” Arrow. My problem is I have a 30.5” Draw. I’d like to lengthen my arrow by a half inch or maybe an inch so my broadheads clear the riser shelf a little
better. Well if I do that I’m really walking a fine line with the 250 spine arrow. I see on BEA spine chart they have listed 150 spine. Does anyone know if these are made or if any company out there makes a spine stiff enough that I’m not walking that fine line. I like shooting heavy arrows and I like an 80 lb bow because I like shooting distance and want my hunting setup as lethal as can be. I’m not looking to change my bow setup I’m just looking to gain some more info on arrow selection. I know Easton makes a dangerous game shaft but I would be looking at over 700 grain Arrow finished. That’s a little too heavy lol. Thank you in advance for any input.

I shoot 29” draw with 27.75” c to c arrows currently, no trouble with riser interference, even with a 1.25 cut 3 blade. But I’ve shot arrows as short as 27” without a problem.
But if you’re set on shooting a 30” arrow, you might try using an internal footer to stiffen your current arrows without going to a 150 spine shaft. Ie. BE rampage 150.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’m not trying to ask a stupid question here but could you elaborate more on using an internal footer?

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’ve also been looking at the GT Kinetic Kaos 200’s. Does anyone have any experience with them?

·
Registered
705 Posts
I’m not trying to ask a stupid question here but could you elaborate more on using an internal footer?

b
First there isn’t any stupid questions, just people who want you to feel stupid, sooo.
Basically it’s a 6-8”,or longer, piece of carbon shaft that is epoxied behind the insert. Most of the time I turn down the back .25” of the insert to match the ID of my chosen footer.

Say I’m building a .245 ID arrow. I’ll look around at different manufacturers and find a .240 OD arrow shaft. Turn the last 1/4” of my inserts down to .204 if my footers ID is .204.
Then epoxy it all to together and there you go.
I have found this to work really well on both high FOC arrows were the flex is toward the front of the arrow and lower FOC builds because it increases FOC.
I’ve not found a shaft the will fit inside a .166 arrow or .204, although firenock sells kits to do this, I believe.

The other thing you can do is look on material supply sites and they will usually have different size graphite tubes.

One more thing BE does sell a 150 spine arrow in the rampage series, but is 16 gpi, so it’s quite heavy.
Good luck!

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for the explanation. I appreciate it very much. I saw the 150 spine Rampage. I like heavy but that’s quite a bit heavier than I’d like. I was looking at the 200 spine GT Kinetic Kaos. I used to shoot gold tips and liked them but I tend to jump from brand to brand and try all kinds of different things. It’s fun but expensive. Lol. I may give the Kinetic a try. I truly liked the Spartan and think it really is a great Arrow. Just think I’m walking a fine line and don’t want to push it with the length and spine and end up with an accident. I’m not complaining by any means because I bring this on by my draw length and the fact I shoot heavy poundage bows. But this bow is going to be setup for long range shooting and hunting out west. My whitetail bow won’t be nearly this difficult. Lol

·
Hunter of many things
12,122 Posts
Add some weight to the back of your arrow that will help with stiffness

·
Registered
16,693 Posts
I use fmj dangerous game shafts 250 spine with 56 grain ss outserts and 125 head out of 81 lbs pulse that is set up to draw 30.75" and arrow Length of 29" with outsert 29.5" long. 714 total grain but that's with 4" vanes tuned great

You could shoot a lighter outsert, 100 grain head or even lighter and two inch vanes or feathers to get around 650 grains

1 - 10 of 10 Posts