Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was just sitting here thinking. yea you might get 320fps out of a bow with a 300gr arrow but how far does it maintain its speed versus a 500 gr arrow out of the same bow at say 260fps or whatever it may be.
look at it this way. if you throw a golf ball and a ping pong ball with the same amount of force the golf ball which is much heavier will obviously carry its speed a lot farther distance and will travel a farther distance.
so this 320fps is at what 1-2 feet maybe well what is it at 30 or 40 yards? better yet for the target archers...60 yards. everything falls at the same rate no matter how fast the forward movement is so if you shoot your bow rifle potato gun or whatever on a completely flat trajectory it will hit the ground at the same time as if you dropped a rock when the projectile was launched.
what i am trying to get at here is the heavier arrow will carry its speed a farther distance thus carrying its kenetic energy farther. so those of you like me that like to stretch those shots at that deer thats a little over 40 yards are going to get a lot more penetration with the heavier arrow.
also i was wondering what kind of tests have been done with a machine to compare the arrow drop at long distances with light vs heavy arrows at the same projection speed.
just something thats been on my mind so i decided id share it

·
Registered
150 Posts
If two arrows present the same cross section but have different weights, the heavier one will lose speed more slowly. The differences become more dramatic the greater the weight difference.

TAP (The Archery Program) and other archery software have great ballistic computers that allow you to examine downrange data very closely.

·
washed up wannabe
12,235 Posts
Taking your example a 300 gr, arrow going 320FPS will still be going 302 at 50 yards and still carry 60 #'s of KE .

The 500 grain arrow at 260 will still be going 251 @ 50 yards and still carry 70#'s of KE.

In a real life example we will take a Mathews LX at 60# and 30" draw.

A 300 grain arrow will leave this bow at 307 fps, at 50 it will still be going 289, carry 55.81 #'s of KE, and drop -52"

A 500 grain arrow will leave this bow at 265fps, arrive at 50 yards doing 255.96 fps, have 72.66 #'s of KE, and drop -67".

As an outdoor shooter I want thin arrows to negate the wind. Out of my bow I have shot a bunch of different combinations and the one that weighs 308 grains shoots the best. I have a thin, flat shooting arrow that will compensate for errors in yardage estimation or mistakes in deducting enough for hills. I'm not killing anything and all these arrows have to do is stick in a target butt.

For hunting I also like a flat shooting arrow for yardage mistakes. I shoot around a 400 gr arrow with a two blade cut on contact. At 50 yards I am making about 60 #'s of KE. My experience with this combination is that it will blow right through a caribou.

Shot placement, accuracy and the archer's confidence in his equipment are paramount. The rest is just idiotic internet arguing.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"Shot placement, accuracy and the archer's confidence in his equipment are paramount."

couldnt agree with you anymore

" The rest is just idiotic internet arguing"

couldnt disagree anymore.
idiotic? i like to pick the little things apart and here on at that is 70% of what goes on.
jmo

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
also not everyone can make a perfect shot every time. some people do get the shakes and some people cant shoot a molecule at 40 yards every time. in those times most hunters are still confident just make simple mistakes and like johnhames said "KE becomes more important when your broad head has to negotiate heavy bone". i would much rather have it blow through the far side of an animal than to hit a shoulder or something and stop and not get a complete pass through. the arrow sticking in the ground 12 inches isnt important, its the fact that you have the backup ke if you need it

·
washed up wannabe
12,235 Posts
Don't you also hunt moose?
Yep. I hunt them with confidence with a 60# bow and fairly light ACC arrows. I have a bunch of photos from friends that have all killed moose with 60# bows and carbon arrows... as well as guys that have done it with 55# recurves and fairly heavy arrows (low KE). I also have two pics of very large brown bears show with about 65# of KE, one at 8 yards with no backup. Pretty much all of these shots were complete passthroughs. Good broadheads are very important in this case. I don't care what you are shooting, you are not getting through any major bones and into the vitals on a moose even shooting 90# and 600 grain arrows. At that point you might as well shoot what it takes to get through the vitals on a well placed shot and not tear up your body with heavy draw weights during practice.

My caribou last year was shot at 50 yards and I cut a rib going in and busted one on the way out the other side. We completey shoveled all the snow from 10 yards beyond where the animal was hit and never found that arrow. I saw it flash in the sun when it flew beyond the animal. It was still truckin.

·
washed up wannabe
12,235 Posts
also not everyone can make a perfect shot every time. some people do get the shakes and some people cant shoot a molecule at 40 yards every time.
:D:D Yep. But they'd stand a better chance if they shot less poundage (which also leads to people practicing more). KE means nothing if you can't hit what you are aiming at. :D:D

·
washed up wannabe
12,235 Posts
If smart=confrontational...then you are right on.

The guys above have very valid points. I'm just exhausted helping people out that are more concerned with KE than shooting form, skill and marksmanship. I just want all the newbies that read threads like this to know that it isn't any less manly to shoot a critter with 60# of KE than 90... if you hit where you are aiming :D:D:D:D

Now, if everyone is as smart as I am and voted Bush today I will be in a much better mood tomorrow :D:D:D

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
AKDoug said:

The guys above have very valid points. I'm just exhausted helping people out that are more concerned with KE than shooting form, skill and marksmanship. I just want all the newbies that read threads like this to know that it isn't any less manly to shoot a critter with 60# of KE than 90... if you hit where you are aiming :D:D:D:D

Now, if everyone is as smart as I am and voted Bush today I will be in a much better mood tomorrow :D:D:D
I'm with you AK !:p

·
Registered
PRO SHOP OWNER BOWTECH MATHEWS
3,058 Posts
i understand dougs numbers but i cant beleive a 200 grain arrow gain will only be a 42 fps per second lose of speed its usually about 1 ft for every 2.5 to 3 grains which would be around a 65 ft lose and would make the ke numbers much closer than he states.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

The guys above have very valid points. I'm just exhausted helping people out that are more concerned with KE than shooting form, skill and marksmanship. I just want all the newbies that read threads like this to know that it isn't any less manly to shoot a critter with 60# of KE than 90... if you hit where you are aiming

Now, if everyone is as smart as I am and voted Bush today I will be in a much better mood tomorrow .

you also have a valid point but dont help if you are going to be mean and do not want to help. no one is MAKING you help.
btw i could care less how much ke my setup makes. simple point was that heavier arrows carry it farther...so they guy shooting a recurve with a 650gr arrow may only make 52lbs af ke but that 52lbs will go a lot farther distance than 320gr arrows ke would...i didnt mean to get you all confrontational over something i wasnt even talking about.

i too voted bush

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.