Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am trying to fletch my first arrows. I got a Goat Tuff Products GT Arrow Fletcher and am doing a right helical 2 degree with three fletches. My bow has a whisper biscuit and it seems like the fletching would be going through the black at the bottom if it just goes straight through. Does the arrow turn to make it go through correctly or do I need to change the nock rotation? Are helical generally ok through a whisper biscuit or does it affect the rotation too much?

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
the black in the rest is for arrow support, rotate your nocks for cock vane up, thats how i have always shot with a biscuit

·
Registered
547 Posts
Same as the others said... no issues here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
with a WB, it really doesn't matter what orientation your fletching is, other than they should all be the same so the WB has the same consistent affect on their passing through the WB. what puzzles me is that with every other rest in the industry, we strive to avoid as much contact between fletching and any part of the rest as possible, and with the WB,.... users are deliberately forcing all the fletching to make decisive violent full contact with the rest with no attempt to avoid it......the WB rest just doesn't make any sense to me.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok thanks, I appreciate the replies. Ill turn the nocks, I just wan't sure if the jig had some special alignment with the nock. Seems odd to me that it wouldn't put the fletching on with the nock in the correct orientation.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
there is an orientation when fletching that wll put the cock vane in the desired position in relation to the nock. read your instructions,... they should tell how to line up the receiver with the vane clamp, to produce the desired nock to cock vane alignment. what I did was to put a paint mark on the receiver and index drum of the jig that establishes the nock orientation that aligns the first fletch to be the cock vane. then I start at with the two marks aligned, every time I start each arrow. if you don't have the instructions, just pay attention to the nock orientation in the receiver and figure out which index the drum should be on to align the nock groove with the cock feather. whether you fletch cock up or cock out, the according alignment can be figured out to produce the same correct aligmnet every arrow you fletch without having to turn the nocks afterwards.

·
Registered
5,500 Posts
with a WB, it really doesn't matter what orientation your fletching is, other than they should all be the same so the WB has the same consistent affect on their passing through the WB. what puzzles me is that with every other rest in the industry, we strive to avoid as much contact between fletching and any part of the rest as possible, and with the WB,.... users are deliberately forcing all the fletching to make decisive violent full contact with the rest with no attempt to avoid it......the WB rest just doesn't make any sense to me.
This guy gets it

·
Registered
737 Posts
Some interesting data in this slow mo, especially that the WB seems to force rotation quicker due to the offset on the vanes.

This one admits the violence of the fletching contact, but yet also admits it doesn't negatively affect accuracy:

I do wonder, if someone has negative accuracy results with one, if it is due to the amount of time the arrow stays in contact with the bow as a system. In this regard, I could see how it would be similar to a short brace height showing flaws in execution.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
These are some cool slow motion videos. It is crazy to see the arrow on the whisper biscuit stay so nice and steady and the vanes flopping around.

·
Registered
6,976 Posts
Some interesting data in this slow mo, especially that the WB seems to force rotation quicker due to the offset on the vanes.

This one admits the violence of the fletching contact, but yet also admits it doesn't negatively affect accuracy:

I do wonder, if someone has negative accuracy results with one, if it is due to the amount of time the arrow stays in contact with the bow as a system. In this regard, I could see how it would be similar to a short brace height showing flaws in execution.
Any movement of the bow effects the arrow with a WB, whether the effects are enough to make a difference is another matter.
They do work well but much depends on the shooter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts