Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about trying out some helical fletched arrows, just not sure how well they will work with my whisker biscuit? anyone tried this?

·
Registered
574 Posts
Yes, it works fine, provided that you set them up with cock feather up and just a smidge to the left, so that the low right vane doesn't hit the black part as the arrow starts to spin while still on the bow. I 'cut out' maybe 1/10th of the volume of black whiskers on the far left and far right of that bottom portion of black whiskers, so that there's a little gap, maybe 1/16th" or more on either side around the outer edge. Still gives full arrow support at the middle, but minimizes chance of them hitting.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Helical fletchings work just fine with a WB. I shot both feathers and vanes with a helical fletch through a WB for about 3 years with no problems at all. And by the way, you don't need to butcher your WB. An arrow does not spin until after it leaves the bow!

·
Registered
50,366 Posts
Helical fletchings work just fine with a WB. I shot both feathers and vanes with a helical fletch through a WB for about 3 years with no problems at all. And by the way, you don't need to butcher your WB. An arrow does not spin until after it leaves the bow!
I agree. No need to alter the WB in any way for them to work.

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
I also shoot helical with a WB awsome combo. Just make sure you use the rite stuff when fletching. I have great luck with Flex Fletch 360s with zing primer and fast set glue.

·
Registered
574 Posts
An arrow does not spin until after it leaves the bow!
So the laws of physics just don't apply as the arrows moves forward, with the air pushing against the vanes while in the bow? Ol' Sir Isaac is on vacation until the exact moment the vanes clear the rest? I would agree that they spin very little, but they DO spin some before reaching the rest - how much exactly I don't know. But you cannot break the laws of physics. I would also agree that there's no need to butcher the rest, though - I think what I did is overkill.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
So the laws of physics just don't apply as the arrows moves forward, with the air pushing against the vanes while in the bow? Ol' Sir Isaac is on vacation until the exact moment the vanes clear the rest? I would agree that they spin very little, but they DO spin some before reaching the rest - how much exactly I don't know. But you cannot break the laws of physics. I would also agree that there's no need to butcher the rest, though - I think what I did is overkill.
There is way too much force behind an arrows fletchings as the arrow is launched to enable it to spin before it even reaches the rest. There was a slow motion video of this on Youtube some years ago. The arrow didn't start to spin until it cleared the bow.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts