Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am shooting 20yd spot and was wondering what you thought about using helical fletching. I am using a low draw (40lb) target bow and fingers; 30.5" 2312's X7's (at least what X7's I have left since they apparently became extinct) and 2312 X23's with 4 inch straight vanes. I have read that in such situations the more spin the better. Is that true?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Switch to either 2.5" or 3" feathers with a slight 1-2degree offset.
More forgiving and quieter.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
I agree if you are shooting spots indoors feathers are the preferred but I would stick with the 4". I shoot 5" on my spot bow. The only conceivable reason I would go shorter is to gain speed and indoor spots who cares how long it takes to get there. The longer fletching are more stable they straiten the arrow faster in flight and I believe are more accurate. I suppose it is possible to potentially have more fletching impacts with a longer feather but most bows are tuned to mitigate fletching impacts.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Again, thanks very much for your help. I have a line on some 5" vanes and have had an "EZ" fletching tool, so I am going to whip some up and see if I can get to 300...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts