Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again brothers and sisters!

While on my mission to start creating my own arrows, I ran across information about the differences between right/left helical fletching, and straight fletching. In a nutshell, it seems that helical is better stability wise at long distances, and straight fletching is the fastest shooting arrow but not quite as stable at longer distances.

My question to you is which do you prefer, why, and what type of archery are you involved in?

Holla back archers!
-WooDy

·
Registered
76,761 Posts
Hello again brothers and sisters!

While on my mission to start creating my own arrows, I ran across information about the differences between right/left helical fletching, and straight fletching. In a nutshell, it seems that helical is better stability wise at long distances, and straight fletching is the fastest shooting arrow but not quite as stable at longer distances.

My question to you is which do you prefer, why, and what type of archery are you involved in?

Holla back archers!
-WooDy
Ulimately helical will have less drag once its on its way. It has quite a bit of drag starting off... kinda the best of both worlds for a big heavy arrow. If you're shooting centershot.... darts probably work with 2" vanes off a rest... :grin:

·
Registered
421 Posts
Those feathers look great!

I noticed an increase in accuracy with my helical blazers as apposed to straight. The amount they dropped compared to straight vanes out to 40 yards was negligable; haven't had a chance to test further yet.

·
Registered
12,057 Posts
I use as much helical as I can get on my arrows. If I were playing a long range target game, field points only, I might experiment with less helical but would probably just go with tiny fletching and keep the helical.

·
Registered
434 Posts
photo.jpg

Hard helical and 5" here. I shoot big broadheads and don't always do my part on release.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
I shoot the 160 Snuffer, a big broadhead by most standards and 2 inch feathers. Killed a lot of stuff with that setup. Don't need 5 inch if you have FOC.

Bowmania

·
Registered
76,761 Posts
I shoot five inch because if I pluck a release I want my arrow straightening out ASAP
I shoot 5" too and its for the same reasons that you do... and the occasional blunt buried under the weeds and leaves that I'd like to have the most exposure to finding... :grin:... and I'm an orange and yellow kind of guy... no fancy bars... :laugh:

Aloha... :cool::beer:

1 - 20 of 79 Posts