Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read plenty of threads about the Strickland Helix. Everybody seems to love the results. One thing I don't seem to find much info on is how good the blood trails are. Who's got experience?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,724 Posts
I have shot kudos, helix, and cutthroat. And feel a double bevel shot in the same place leaves a better blood trail. It is hard to prove, but I have seen some perfectly placed shots with hardly any blood trail. I have witnessed the same with double bevel but not on a less then regular basis. I believe the hole plugs easier with the single bevel, is the only conclusion I can come to. If you stick your finger in the hole you can get the blood to flow a lot of time, but remove it and it slows way down or stops. But they all seem to work, it's just what each one of us prefers.

·
Registered
9,215 Posts
I have read that helix heads do not leave The best blood trail. Some people say it's because it's a 2 blade head, single bevel. I have shot hundreds of animals with a 2 blade Magnus head no issues with blood. This year I broke over a decade long tradition of shooting Magnus heads. I used a anarchy single bevel head this year on a couple deer. I will say some of the most impressive devastation I have ever seen and the blood trail goes right a long with that.

I think some heads just don't leave good blood trails. I know of one fixed 3 blade COC head that I Would not use or recommend because of the lack of blood trails.

·
Premium Member
26,859 Posts
I have read that helix heads do not leave The best blood trail. Some people say it's because it's a 2 blade head, single bevel. I have shot hundreds of animals with a 2 blade Magnus head no issues with blood. This year I broke over a decade long tradition of shooting Magnus heads. I used a anarchy single bevel head this year on a couple deer. I will say some of the most impressive devastation I have ever seen and the blood trail goes right a long with that.

I think some heads just don't leave good blood trails. I know of one fixed 3 blade COC head that I Would not use or recommend because of the lack of blood trails.
Which 3 blade coc..I am on the edge of my seat....:)......Merry Christmas and Festivus for the rest of us............

·
The Impartial Archer
18,304 Posts
I've read plenty of threads about the Strickland Helix. Everybody seems to love the results. One thing I don't seem to find much info on is how good the blood trails are. Who's got experience?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
Anyone with real experience is going to tell you it's more about shot placement and lady luck than the head. People that tell you otherwise probably haven't taken many animals or hasn't tried many different heads in the field.

I say that because a good sharp broad head is key but that only takes you so far. I have had great blood trails, poor blood trails and mediocre blood trails with many different heads.......2 blade, 3, 4.....mechanical fixed etc etc.....that's just the way it is. Expecting good results every time because of the head you picked no matter what you choose is unrealistic.

This is AT so you might hear otherwise but anyone that's honest and been around the block will tell you the same thing.

·
The Impartial Archer
18,304 Posts
PS one of the best blood trails I ever got was on a deer that I shoot with a DULL Montec G5 :mg: Before the ethics police cuff me let me explain.......lol

I shot a deer and it did the famous mule kick and bolted about 10 yards and stopped. I detach my quiver and the deer was only about 25 yards away so I was blindly getting another arrow watching the deer. I got one nocked it and was looking at the deer and it didn't look too hurt. So I shot it again and this time I knew I hit it well.

When I came down I looked at the second arrow and it was covered in good blood......30 yards later the deer was dead on the gorund and the blood trail was one of the best I have ever had.

As was grabbing my gear up to pack out I nocked I shot my practice arrow at the deer and it was a dull Montec that been through yards of dirt.......lol

But lucky for me the shot hit the deer at the top of the heart where all the veins and arteries meet and it was pumping blood like a fountain. I'm by NO means telling you it doesn't matter if the broad you use is sharp or not.....I'm just saying where it lands is 80% of what happens regardless of the head.

The reason you use a good head is you can't count on shot placement and luck every time.

Also I learned to use a different colored nock, vanes or both on my practice arrow.......

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Not trying to hijack the thread , but to the OP have you looked at bishop archery broadheads. Pricey but lifetime guarantee and seem like they have some goop options. I have no field experience with them but maybe someone on here might?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts