Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning All from Maryland,

A little bit about myself. I'm not stranger to the world of hunting--I've hunted in Alaska, Colorado, Louisiana, West Virginia, and New York. Most of my hunting is done here at home in Maryland via muzzle loader. All my years of hunting, I've never given archery much thought, and I could really give myself a kick in the rear for knuckle head move, but suppose—better late than never, right?

Fast forward. This thanksgiving 2014, my uncle was visiting from Louisiana and he recently got into bow hunting himself when he recently bow hunted elk in Colorado. I ask him to bring his bow with him when he came to Maryland for the holidays thinking we might be able to get away from the house for a few hours and head to my local gun and archery club I belong to and get get some archery time in. Having never touch a bow before in my life, I asked him to explain very part of the bow, what each part did, how it worked etc... His bow was a older model Mathews single-cam he got on ebay for $250 rigged up with all the typical accessories and five-pin sight. I'm a big guy 6'7” and 280 lbs, my uncle is probably about 6'4”. He had the bow set up for him with a 30 inch draw and approx 60 lbs. My eyes are not the greatest, since birth I've had a rare eye/nerve disorder called horizontal nystagmus which cannot be correct with eye-glasses, and I thought I had no chance of being decent at the sport. After he explained the bow to me and how to shoot it safely we started at 15 yards and worked my way back to 25 yards. I could not believe I was stacking up the arrows in 4-5 inch groups in and around the bulls eye. After that I was hooked, I told him I'm now sold, I need to get a rig for myself.

When my family left to head back home, they gave me some early Christmas money, my uncle figured I'd put it to good use and buy a bow. He was correct in this assumption. In the week following thanksgiving I had a few days off, so I visited a few local stores and checked out and shot about a dozen different bows and models, Mathews, Hoyt, PSE, BowTech, Bear etc. I would up buying a 2014 BowTech Experience which not only fit me the best out of all the bows I shot, it shot well and I liked everything about it. This model could be adjusted out to a 31 inch draw, and I needed just about every bit of it. I spent about six-hours with the bow expert at my local shop and got the bow fine tuned just for me. 30.5 inch draw and currently I have it set at approx 63 lbs which is plenty for me. I started with a Truglo Rival Hunter five-pin sight on the bow, but after a few days, I decided for my eyes, a single pin sight would be better so I went back to my bow guy and he got me setup with a Truglo Range Rover Archers Choice sight. We put it on the bow and got it adjusted in the shop, he put a pencil line on the range marker portion of the sight and said, lets try this at 20 yards and see how it does. I put three arrows in the bulls eye out of six shots, other three was only an inch or two away. I was very pleased, yeah the sight was a little more clunky and did not look as cool as the camo sight I had originally put on the bow, but this one worked for me. He did an even exchange even though the range cover was about $20 more. So that was yesterday, I seem to be progressing very fast into the spot. My next steps will be to get some other yardage lines marked on this sight and get it fully setup. By next fall, I'll be ready to put some meat in the freezer with my bow, if had better, if I don't my wife will kill me having spent a lot of money on the bow.

P.S. Pic of bow was original sight I had, the Rival Hunter, I'll have to update the pic later with new sight.

Cheers
-Scott

Attachments

·
Registered
5,461 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Arizona.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts