Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I figure I ought to do a short intro, since I finally posted my first question on a different thread. I signed up initially mostly so I could see the pix of what someone did to keep their Rage broadheads from opening when they didn't want them to. I think I may give my Rage 40KE's to my husband and let him do that to keep them closed until impact.

My name is Paula, age 41, married 20 years this Nov., and have three kids, two dogs, and a bunch of small birds. I really need a hobby farm and at least 80 acres... sigh.

I've been hunting since I was a teenager, and fishing since I was about 4. Although no one really wanted to teach a girl to hunt. My mom is kinda scared of guns and my dad was a musician. He did initially teach me to fish, though. But I can't eat the stuff, because I'm deathly allergic (handling them is tolerable but does bother my skin).

So I pretty much learned to hunt by myself. My husband mostly hunts because I do, not the other way around. He considers it very expensive and labor intensive grocery shopping. I doubt if he would be doing much of it if he had married just about anyone else. :wink:

Hubby shot his first deer in 1999 and I tracked it for him. we were following pinpricks at times. Tracking is my favorite part. I shot my first deer in 2000 with a bow. Shot two that year. 2nd one went 1800 yards before we found him. Sometimes there was no blood and hardly any tracks to follow, but just a light bit of snow helped us stay on the trail. It was crazy.

Took at least one for the next couple years, then because of health issues took a few years off and just rifle hunted on occasion. Took up turkeys in 09, got a bow shot off at one and missed (hit a sapling), all by myself! Later that season I called in quite a few birds for my husband, but we both made mistakes that got us busted before he could get a shot off with my shotgun. The next year I got a mature tom with my shotgun. Husband took his first this year, a jake, also with my shotgun.

I lost my first neck-shot buck in 09, what a horrible feeling. I knew he was going to die but I could NOT find him. There was blood everywhere, but no deer. Then the blood stopped.

We invested in a couple trail cameras the last couple years and have had fun looking at the pix. (but good grief the RACCOONS... the farmers have asked us to shoot them if I see them because they are such pests getting into their feed and barns). There's nothing big on our cameras, but we aren't really trophy hunters anyway. I don't know that it's possible with such small properties to hunt, and little control over the land. And hey we have to amortize all this money we spend on equipment! :)

I started with a Parker Challenger and still love that bow but it only goes up to 50 and I wanted to get a little more KE by upping my poundage. So I got a Bowtech Soldier. I have not been particularly pleased with its tuneability. Trying to get that solved.

Anyway, I probably won't be spending too much time on here, because I'll be pretty busy with teenager activities and taking care of my aging mother, so I'll likely be just checking in when I have ongoing tech issues that I can't figure out.

Registered
Welcome to Archery Talk.

Registered
:welcome: 2 ArcheryTalk

NAASP
Welcome terriergal!

There should be plenty of answers to any questions you could possibly have on archery and hunting on this site.

Where in MN are you?

Registered
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Welcome from another Minnesotan! Where did you get your Soldier?
oh geez i just realized I hadn't checked this thread for ages. I got my Soldier from MN Archery. We could never get it to broad head tune very well so i traded it in last year for a Parker Inferno and I love it.

Registered
Welcome to the forum from AZ.

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks. :) I posted this then got busy - mom lived with us for a couple winters, married off a daughter, and totally forgot about the forum. LOL

1 - 14 of 14 Posts