Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am new to archery and I am looking for advice on purchasing a compound bow.

My son is 17 and became interested in archery last year. We purchased a Diamond Razor Edge for him and it appears to be a great bow for him and will allow him to grow with it.
I am now interested in taking up archery and I am researching different types of bows.

I am 49 years old and 5' 7". I would eventually like to go hunting for turkey and deer with this bow.

We went to Cabela's to check out their bows. We spoke with a staff person and he said that many of the bows were sold out as hunting season began on September 15th.
He suggested I purchase the Bear Outbreak. He set it for a 28" draw length and a 45 lb draw weight.
I shot it a few times and it appeared to be a good bow but as I mentioned, I'm new so I don't have much experience.
I asked if he had any other bows for me to check out. He didn't appear to be too enthusiastic in bringing out other bows.
He said they had a few others but they didn't have the range that the Outbreak has in regards to growing with it, etc.
He said that the Outbreak was their best selling bow.
I don't know if this guy was determined to sell me this specific bow or just lazy.

I've searched on the internet and didn't find many reviews of the Bear Outbreak.
When I researched the Diamond Razor Edge there were tons of reviews and the majority of them were 4.5 out of 5.

Does anyone else have any experience with the Bear Outbreak?
If so, what is your opinion?

Would I do just as well purchasing the Razor Edge for me also?
I was thinking if I purchase the Outbreak for me, then I can always pass it down to my son if he grew out of the Razor Edge and I could upgrade to another if needed.

Thank you in advance!

John

·
Registered
2 Posts
John, over the years I have shot many different bows, I shoot a PSE EVO. I love it. The great thing about the PSE line is that they have a bow for every price range. All there bows are very adjustable (and fast) without even using a press, piece of cake. Check out the PSE line I guarantee you will love one of them if not all.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Check out the Mission line by Mathews. They are lower priced than the Mathews, but still a great bow. I recently bought a new Mission Venture and have nothing but good things to say about it.

·
Registered
36,982 Posts

·
NOLA deer hunter
1,368 Posts
John your best bet is try a bunch and pick the bow that is right for you the outbreak is not bad but don't stop there. And welcome to AT

·
Registered
459 Posts
Whatever bow you decide on, at your height, I'm fairly sure 28" is way too long of draw for you. Also, not sure of your physical attributes, but I'm sure you can pull more than 45 pounds.
I shoot a Bowtech, but if your looking for something in the Bear lineup, make sure you check out their new stuff for 2013. I hear a ton of good stuff. I would definitely shop around a bit first though. Shoot some bows and find one that fits.
Look on the classifieds on here. There's always some really good deals.
Good luck.
Sent from my phone.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Find a local pro shop so you can try out some bows to find one that is comfortable to you. Also they may have a "like new" used bow. Some 2013 bows have just been released; therefore many will be buing new bows and selling 1 and 2 yr old bows very reasonable. Most pro shops will be very helpful t get you set up.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Best thing to do is check the web sites of the bow manufactures for any local dealers in your area. Don't just settle for what the guy at Cabela's tells you or want you to buy. Shoot every bow you can get your hands on and don't just pick one from the first shop you stop at. You need to see and get a feel for all the shops and their tech's in your area. Most shops will let you shoot as many bows as you want as many times as it takes and answer any questions you may have along the way. Happy shooting and good luck!

Here is a short list of bow manufactures off the top of my head:
Mathews
Mission
Bowtech
Hoyt
Elite
Parker
Martin
PSE
Prime
Diamond
Bear