Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new here and need a little help. I go rifle/shotgun hunting for deer and grouse and i really would like to start archery.

I am left eye dominate (for firearms, I suppose it applies the same for archery), but right handed. I have a homemade bow and hold it with my left hand. This is where I get confused. Would I need a left hand bow? Do I need to keep my left eye shut, and right eye open when I aim? This would help a lot if someone could give me an answer or two, because with my Christmas $$$ I will be buying a bow and am wondering If I need a left hand. I am only a preteen, so what would be about the right poundage for me to start with? I will probably buy a cheap bow to start with then advance to a better bow to hunt with.

Thanks!
HunterGirl235:smile:

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
:wav::welcome:

Welcome to AT HunterGirl. I can't help you with the right & left thing, but someone here will. :D

·
Registered
7,588 Posts
My husband is left eye dominant so he shoots a bow and rifle left handed. He is right handed. This seems to be your deal. If you have a home made bow and are holding it with your left hand then you are shooting it right handed. Do the eye dominance test to make sure you are left eye dominant...Then try to find a bow shop that will help you. You definately don't want to get the wrong handed bow to start with

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My husband is left eye dominant so he shoots a bow and rifle left handed. He is right handed. This seems to be your deal. If you have a home made bow and are holding it with your left hand then you are shooting it right handed. Do the eye dominance test to make sure you are left eye dominant...Then try to find a bow shop that will help you. You definately don't want to get the wrong handed bow to start with
yup thats the first thing i learned when firearm shooting. my dad and uncle had tried to make me shoot right handed but i couldn't so they let me try shooting left handed and i was way more accurate and it felt more natural. but with the bow it feels right to hold the bow with my left hand. maybe i am just an oddball:smile: maybe i will just have to kept my left eye closed and try to aim with the other. this is why i am not going to buy a very expensive bow at first, so i can see if it feels right to shoot with it.

Thanks for your help!
HunterGirl235

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm left eye dominant and am right handed. When I got my bow I had it set up for right hand(meaning I was pulling with my right arm) but I had so much trouble with that shoulder that I tried pulling with my left. It was much easier, didn't hurt my shoulder and felt comfortable in my left. I had the bow company change the riser to left for me and it works for me. I grew up shooting pistols and always shot with my right and used my right eye(was pretty good aim too) so I just assumed that I'd pull a bow with my right as well.

Your best bet is go to a local bow shop(not the big name stores i.e Gander Mt, Cabela's or Bass Pro) and have them help you in your bow shopping experience. Some shops don't have many left handed bows but you can always pull a right handed bow with your left and see how it feels.

Hope this helps, good luck in your search and welcome to AT!

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
1st of all welcome to archery. 2nd as said before go to your local bow shop and shoot both left and right handed bows to see which works better. I know ppl who shot right handed and then switched to left handed bows and found it to work better for them. If your goin to shoot right handed and are left eye dom. then I would say you would prob. need to keep left eye closed so it doent take over what you are focusing on. I hope this helps a little...:teeth:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thank-you so much everyone this really helped me.
i also found this from huntersfriend.com:

For those with eye-dominance conflicts, the issue of right vs. left ultimately boils down to choice. If you are right-handed, you're of course a little stronger and more coordinated with your right arm. So naturally, you would want to shoot a right-handed bow. But, if you happen to be also be left-eye dominant, you have to make a choice. You must either shoot a right-handed bow - and learn to sight the bow with one-eye squinted closed, OR you must adapt to shoot a left-handed bow so you can keep both eyes open and sight with your dominant eye. It's a difficult choice, and there is no right or wrong answer. However, we do make the following general recommendations.

1. If you are a new shooter, by all means, buy a bow that matches your eye-dominance so you can learn to shoot with both eyes open. If you have no old habits to unlearn, you'll probably adapt quickly to the off-handed bow and never know it was supposed to be awkward.

2. But if you are a long-time shooter (archery, rifle, pistol, etc.), and you're already accustom to closing your dominant eye when you shoot, you may find changing to an off-handed bow to be particularly awkward and frustrating. In this case we recommend you not make the change and stick with your current technique (aka...dance with the one that brung 'ya).

Again, there isn't a right or wrong decision here. Success in the shooting sports is often a matter of subtleties in form and technique, and everyone is different. Whichever method you feel will benefit you most, and that will ultimately allow you to shoot most comfortably and accurately....that's the right choice for you.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Go to a local pro shop and they will set you up there. You are right handed and will probably need a 30-40# bow to start, and then work your way up from their. A Diamond Edge or the newer Razor Edge would fit you quite well I'm guessing.:smile:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I also like to place my arrow on the right side of my homemade bow (i believe that is how left hand bows are set up) when i place the arrow on the right i am more accurate it seems. could i get a left hand bow but still hold it with my right hand? it sounds to me that i will be needing a left hand bow but i am still not 100% sure.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had the same sort of problem. I didn't know whether to shoot right or left. I am technically right handed but I'm just about 50/50 ambidextrous and don't have a dominant eye. Basically, I am neutral, so it was a matter of choice.

I did just what the others here have suggested. I went to the archery shop and tried both right and left set ups. I didn't have a 'strong' side, so I just chose one.

I shoot left & my boyfriend shoots right, so sometimes I bring both bows to the range just for kicks. I like to shoot either side and get pretty much the same groupings either way.

Try both and choose what feels correct. :thumbs_up

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
You'll need a left hand bow. My wife has the same problem as you do and it is easily overcome. I recommend the Diamond Edge (My personal preference).

First thing, Go To A Pro Shop! This will be the best decision you can make. Stay away from Dick's, Gander Mtn., etc.

A pro shop will set you up properly and it will be money well spent. Also, listen to the pro and don't buy cheap equipment. Buy as inexpensive as you can but, not cheap.

Good luck and welcome aboard!:smile:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.