Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend that is getting railroaded by the fish and game dept in Washington State. He killed an elk with his bow 100% legit. Someone got jealous and called the game department and said he saw my friend drive by his house and an hour later heard a high powered rifle go off.

The thing is my friend got his elk the following morning nowhere near this supposed gun shot. The day after he killed it he gets a call from his butcher saying that the fish and game department is there to take his elk. The fish and game department took his elk saying that it was shot illegally and they had an eye witness to prove it. This was almost 2 years ago and they are just now charging him with it. They said the meat was too bloodshot to be from a broadhead.

The department had the meat tested by 3 different labs and it all came back as no traces of lead. They think my friend is a poacher but he is not. He was friends with a guy who got caught poaching and since then they think he is a poacher. The state is taking it to trial and I need pictures and stories of animals that you have been shot with a bow that have above normal damage and bloodshot. At this point all the game department has is the BS story some told them and some bloodshot meat with no traces of lead. The lab did put in their report that they did find another type of metal in the meat but they didn’t test the metal because it wasn’t lead or zinc…I wonder what it could have been…mmm maybe pieces of the missing blade from my friend broadhead steel....How convenient the state didn’t have them test to see if the metal was steel because that would have shown the metal to be steel from his 100 grain Muzzy and that it was killed legit.

Please help out your fellow archer!!!Provide me with stories and photos to help a fellow archery that is getting run over by a corrupt game dept....

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
wow sorry to hear this story but at this point isn't everything hear say???

·
Registered
491 Posts
Man that sucks. I would say get a good lawyer, if they say they have a eye witness and your buddy was no where near, should be pretty easy to disprove.

·
Registered
519 Posts
That sucks. His lawyer should demand that the other metal be teated. If they do not have the metal anymore after they said it was there thats tampering with evidence and should be thrown out. Good luck. Sorry no pics but I'll look around.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah hear say for sure but the county that it he is being tried in is a good ole boy county so they think they make a case out of nothing. He has a good lawyer but the state has a expert archer 50 years or archery hunting that is saying that there is no way that much bloodshot came from a wound created by an arrow. So that it why his lawyer needs photos and stories to prove otherwise to the jury.

·
Registered
519 Posts
well hopefully the 50 year archer has pics of all his animals with no hide on to prove his statements. I have had some really bad blood shot animals. maybe a doctor could explain to the jury why and how blood shot happens.

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
I don't know what happened...

....so I'm not "taking sides". There are certainly less-than-ethical game wardens, but there are lots of unethical hunters too. Nonetheless, here's a pic of a whitetail shot last year with a three-blade Rage. This was the entry hole.

If your friend is being "tattoo'ed" by these officials, I wish him the best of luck and I hope they lose their jobs.

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
Doggone, don't know why the pic didn't go

Let's try this again. This is the entry hole from a 3 blade Rage.

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
Ok, now I know why

the pics aren't posting. I had posted them previous threads last year and evidentally you can't post the same pic twice here.

Sorry for the multiple posts.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Just have the state show both a rifle shot verus's a bow shot elk..a broad head doesnt leave near as much bloodshot meat...i would think if the state picked up the elk it would be pretty simple to see the 3 way cut from a broadhead on the inside of the rib cage..if its not there then your friend may not have a leg to stand on...JMO

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Get a good lawyer, he should be fine if you can prove he didn't shoot it with a gun

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I would think there was a pretty distinctive entry hole and exit hole and if any bones were hit there would be gouges ro broke and not shattered in a million pieces like a rifle just a thought

·
Shooter of flesh
7,661 Posts
the pics aren't posting. I had posted them previous threads last year and evidentally you can't post the same pic twice here.
No, I've used the same pictures in different threads all over this site.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Did the arrow pass through the elk? If not while it ran away the broadhead could of done some major damage inside the elk making it look like a gun kill.

·
Registered
334 Posts

Sorry for the multiple posts.
Have you tried right clicking and copying the image location of what you posted in the past than posting a url image? That definitely sucks for the op's buddy. I'm no lawyer but if they can't find the bullet for a ballistic match wouldn't the case be circumstantial?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Heres a pic of the elk I shot this past fall with a 2 blade rage. One clean entry on left side right behind shoulder half way up but notice all the blood clotting that pooled below by the brisket. Not exactly bood shot IMO but hope this helps. Good luck.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Whoops, here it is again.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts