1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a SF Forged plus that comes with a rest:

http://www.lancasterarchery.com/w-w-sebastian-flute-premium-rest.html

In a previous post Viper posted:

CLEAN the riser with alcohol in the area you plan on putting the rest.
With the bow strung, screw in the plunger (rear hole, the one closest to you), and nock an arrow in the approximate position (doesn't have to be exact) on the string.
Hold the rest in position so the arrow is centered on the plunger button and angled slightly up, as in the diagram.
Mark that position (I use a piece of masking tape).
Remove the paper backing from the rest and affix it to the riser in the same position.

Is the arrow angled slight up or the rest? I'm a little thrown by the fact that the corner of the rest actually sticks out a bit from the back of the riser when the rest is flat.

Working without a coach and can't find a good youtube video on something so simple.

·
USAA Regional-L4 Coach
4,319 Posts
The rest should be angled up slightly.

You should not have put the nock locator on the string yet.. After you set the rest on the bow, then install the nock locator.

If you read the easton tuning/setup guide, you will get a better idea..

http://www.eastonarchery.com/img/downloads/software/tuning_guide.pdf

I have them referenced on my sticky, Viper has it referenced in several of his posts as well.

·
Genesis 21:20
22,536 Posts
I'm sorry, but the best thing you can do is take that rest, and drop it in the trash can so you aren't tempted to actually shoot with it.

That rest is, unfortunately, one of the worst arrow rests I've ever seen on any of my student's bows. The consistently fail when the arm support rotates because of the downward force of the arrow. Do yourself a favor and get a better rest. If you can't afford anything else, get a $2.50 Hoyt Super rest. It will serve you better than this one, I promise.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I read the Easton guide and a few others but they keep talking about adjusting the rest after it's installed. Nobody says how to stick the silly thing on.

I think from a previous guide the AAE Champion 2 is a good choice? It also mentioned the SF and WW magnetic being decent which is why I hoped this would do the trick. Is the plunger worth keeping?

·
22,536 Posts
That plunger is pretty poor as well, but it's okay to keep. Just don't get used to depending on it.

The rests I'm recommending these days are the (non adjustable) Hoyt Super rest, and the Spigarelli with the magnetic wire arm (here - but it's upside down in the picture)

http://www.lancasterarchery.com/sigarelli-spiga-evolution-2-rest.html

The Spiga 2 is a VERY durable rest. I used to recommend the Shibuya, but myself and a few of my students had some issues with them, so I'm afraid I can't anymore.

I wish ARE still made the rests that I use. When mine crater on me, I'll buy the Spig. rests for my own bows.

John

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm sorry, but the best thing you can do is take that rest, and drop it in the trash can so you aren't tempted to actually shoot with it.

That rest is, unfortunately, one of the worst arrow rests I've ever seen on any of my student's bows. The consistently fail when the arm support rotates because of the downward force of the arrow. Do yourself a favor and get a better rest. If you can't afford anything else, get a $2.50 Hoyt Super rest. It will serve you better than this one, I promise.
I have at least 3000 arrows through mine and it does not look like it will be failing any time soon. The rest that came with my SF Forged + looks exactly like the Spiga rest you recommend and the wire is quite sturdy. I bought my riser in July of this year.

·
22,536 Posts
Okay, then, I wish you continued luck with your rest. But if it looks exactly like the rest I recommended, it's not the same rest that the OP linked to.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I bought one of these for my cartel Fantom - and the hole for the plunger was so small there was maybe a millimeter of up and down adjustment maybe 1 1/2 mm. I couldn't get my 1916 shafts to sit in the middle of the plunger. I would expect the same problem with any small diameter carbon shafts too.

That's not to say it didn't work.

The cheaper plungers, apart from the shibuya dx, are other don't have really smooth action or they come with really stiff springs - my experience(limited) at least.

I have a Shibuya now - and I do check the little set screw from time to time. I had the wire drop on me once and put an arrow into the backstop. Hasn't happened again though

·
Phoenix, AZ
2,034 Posts
Ditto on choosing a better rest. Most rests have a natural angle or hook on the end that aids in keeping the arrow on the rest by design so I have never angled mine. I use my bow square to ensure that my rest is straight just before permanently placing it on my riser.

- Set your starting nocking point on your string around 3/8" - 1/2" above square as a starting point.
- Set your rest in place with plunger in place and tape in place with scotch tape.
- Ensure your rest is at the proper height (Where the arrow sets about in the middle of the plunger when nocked, hence the reason I place a nocking point in the above step.).
- Once you are happy with your rest height take your bow square and ensure your rest is straight and draw a line at the top so you now where to place it after removing the tape.
- Remove the scotch tape, clean the back of your rest if needed and riser with alcohol.
- Place double sticky tape on rest and place rest on riser.
- Double check your rest height, if off many rests are adjustable, if not make adjustments. And re-tape rest.

Go have fun :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Okay, then, I wish you continued luck with your rest. But if it looks exactly like the rest I recommended, it's not the same rest that the OP linked to.
I do apologize. I should have worded my post better. I wanted to point out that the rest that came with my SF Forged + riser was indeed different from the one linked in the OP and seems to be sturdy and is holding up well. I have no idea whether mine is the older or newer version (or maybe I was just lucky). But if someone with a new SF Forged + reads this thread, they should take a good look at their rest before throwing it in the trash :).

·
Registered
132 Posts
Any thoughts on the spigarelli zero tolerance screw in rest?

Currently I'm using the default plunger and rest that came with my forged plus - not having an issue with either at the moment but I was thinking of replacing both with items that have a more solid reputation (was going to go shibuya dx for the plunger).

·
Registered
71 Posts
You can file that piece that sticks out off if you like, but honestly, you will soon stop noticing it and it doesn't have any negative impact. I've had mine like that for almost a year and it's never been an issue.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Any thoughts on the spigarelli zero tolerance screw in rest?
I've found the Spig ZT to be a good solid rest.
I have them on two risers at the moment. I like the bolt on solid feel you get with them.

I also use a Shibuya Ultima stick on rest, and have used them and the DX plungers on other risers. All without issue.

The wire on the ZT rest differs from most of the other rests in that the wire comes from the rear of the rest to support the arrow.
Many rests like the Ultima have the wire just rearward of the plunger button, so It's slightly easier to set up the wire on the Ultima as the arrow lies across the wire. You basically just make sure the wire doesn't protrude past the shaft.
On the ZT, it's only the very end, the raised tip that sits under the arrow and supports it.
It still only takes a minute or two more fiddling with the ZT and it's good to go. Well until you change arrow diameter, but that's the same with any adjustable wire rest.

GB

·
Registered
132 Posts
Cool, thanks for that. Stabiliser setup will be coming first (so I can stop juggling the same rod in between the recurve and compound) but rest and plunger are on the list.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
280 Posts
BTW, here is the rest I got with the riser

View attachment 1828720

Looks like an SF Elite but without the rounded back. Is this the garbage one or a keeper (at least in the short term)?

http://www.lancasterarchery.com/w-w-sebastian-flute-elite-recurve-arrow-rest.html
Don't let these people rob you of this experience. If it's serviceable then you will know it. If it's a POS then you will know what a POS is by your own experience. Making mistakes is good if they are truly yours.

The only thing I can add is, use a bow square on the top edge of the rest to line it up during installation.

·
Registered
963 Posts
MJAnderson: Where in Ohio are you located? Have you ever shot with Crooked River Archers in Cleveland? I can help you set up your bow if you are on the west side of Cleveland, or are willing to drive. email me [email protected]. I can't check AT at work, weapons and all, you know. Steve

·
Registered
12 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts