Archery Talk Forum banner

Help a newcomer

425 Views 7 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Super T
Hello,

I am new to archery and I have a couple of dumb questions that I need answered.

Can any brand of quiver be installed on any brand of bow?

How durable are Carbon arrows? How often will they need to be replaced?

Do all releases need to attach to a loop? I assume that some need the loop and some do not.

How often do strings need to be replaced? How much does it usually cost to replace them?

Thanks in advance
James
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
392 Posts
Well to start most quivers are interchangable with most bows but there are exceptions so make sure before u purchase one.

Carbon arrows are very durable, it is hard to mess them up. You really dont need to replace them untill teir not shootin straigt anymore. Ive used one arrow to kill two different deer before.

Not all releases have to attach to a loop. im pretty sure you can use most caliper style releases rightonthe string.

Strings should be replaced about every 2 years or so depending on how much u shoot. I wanna say to replace strings and cables its like $30 to $60 depending on the brand.

· Registered
1,730 Posts
yepppers.... quivers are usually interchangeable, do not have to have a loop with release although I perfer it myself. Strings are touchy, depending on what strings you have but they will usually last 2 years or more depending on quality and useage!!!

I use to shoot alum arrows in the day, carbons will last you longer than it takes you to loose them most of the time!!! I had 1/2 dozen carbon axis arrows for about 3 years, if they were alum I would have them dented up and broken by now so carbon is the way for me!!!

· Registered
13,757 Posts
not sure that all quivers will fit all bows... but most of the aftermarket quivers are designed too some factory style might not fit other bows...

not all releases work well with loops and some are designed for that purpose,

strings will usually start too show wear when they need replaceing or if you notice a lot of string stretch keep them waxed and they can last up to five years or so.. neglect or abuse them one year can be too much. nicked or frayed strings need to go,, average life about 2 years unless you shoot a whole lot..

prices vary with manufacturers.. most start installed around 45 and go up to 100... probably closer to a 100 with string and cables but they do vary so before you need them call a few shops or string builders and ask them..

carbon arrows dont really wear out, they may get broken but will last for years

· Registered
403 Posts
How much do you shoot?

If you shoot a few thousand arrows the string will start to show wear and should be replaced. Good ones cost $60 to $ 100 for string and cable. Arrow DO WEAR OUT they become fatigued from flexing and recovering with each shot, so inspect them for fibers (cotton balls work well as they will catch minor cracks) bend them and listen for cracking sounds, check around the nocks for cracks.

Quivers for the most part are designed to mount off the sight mount or off holes in the riser (two piece). Enjoy but remember to inspect your equipment - check screws, cams, strings, arrows, sights, arrow rests and your set up in general. Everything changes in time so adjust.

Release can work off both d-loops and the string. If you shoot off the string learn how to serve because you will wear it out. :darkbeer:

Hello,

I am new to archery and I have a couple of dumb questions that I need answered.

Can any brand of quiver be installed on any brand of bow?

How durable are Carbon arrows? How often will they need to be replaced?

Do all releases need to attach to a loop? I assume that some need the loop and some do not.

How often do strings need to be replaced? How much does it usually cost to replace them?

Thanks in advance
James

· Registered
1,612 Posts
Serving is wrapping a piece of string around a area that may get rubber or traveled on (cam) to help to keep the string from wearing out...

· Registered
27 Posts
Arrow wear

I have shot the same couple of arrows between 1200 and 1500 times. they are 7595 gold tip hunter xt shot at #65. I have been paper tuned and they are spot on. What is the chance that my inconsistent patterns are because they are wearing out?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.