Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the sport and anxiously bought a used hot katera. A buddy of mine saw the thread after I already purchased the bow and said I will have to change the cams to adjust the draw length to 27" from 29". Called a few local archery shops and all said they don't have any Z3 cams LH for 27" DL. I called Hoyt and a customer service rep said they don't make Z3 cams anymore. As I said before im new to the sport so this may be a stupid question but is there anything possible to do without costing me a fortune to make this bow shootable for me if I cant find the Z3 lh cams? I am just a college student living off my GI bill so I don't have a lot of money.. wondering if my hunting will have to wait till next fall. Any help will be appreciated, thanks, chris

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey Chris,
Those cams are hard to find, and changing them to a 27" draw, you may have to change cable and string also. If your up for it, start looking online for cam, or check with your local pro shop, they may have options for ya. Good luck.

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
Just a thought, if you don't want to go through the hassle and spend the money post the bow in the classifieds there may be someone willing to trade or better yet have a cam for you. Good luck.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Have you tried drawing the bow yet? It might not be that bad for you.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No haven't tried drawing the now yet..should come in mail tomarrow..but I'm 5,6 with short arms so I'm assuming 29 DL is gonna be too much

·
Registered
471 Posts
Sell it and look for something else that fits you. How much can you spend? Lots of guys will post something like...."need fully set up bow, tuned, ready to hunt. Can spend (how ever much you can afford). Needs to be (desired weight range) and (desired raw length). Oh yeah, and left handed. Good luck. There are a lot of great bows out their you can pick up, ready to go for around $400.

·
Registered
471 Posts
And since your new and not positive of your draw length, you might think of looking for a bow that does not require module changes to alter draw length. Bears, and PSE and a few others offer this. Just a thought.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
For starters, you should find your draw length. If you measure your wingspan and divide that number by 2.5 (66"/2.5=26.4"), this will give you a good starting point. Good luck

·
Registered
471 Posts
X2 what duck dawg said! That's yer starting point. Also this sight is full of great guys that are very knowledgeable and willing to help a fellow archer. Post up what your looking for and how much you can spend and I'll bet someone will find a great bow for you before the season is here.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the help and advice..one more question this one might be stupid, can I put a different model cams on the bow or is it only functional with the Z3s?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Sure but new cams will most likely require new strings and cables and someone to help you tune it. My local pro shop will do cam swaps and strings and cables and a tune for about $200-$250.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts