Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Herters Recurve that I like to shoot, but the arrow are flying weird.
When they hit the target the point is angled right and the tail is left.
I'm shooting off the shelf, using alumium arrows with feather fletching.
The rest is a seal skin. You can see the arrows flying crooked.
Any advice?

Thanks
Arrow Shooter

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Sounds like an arrow spine issue.What's the weight of the bow at your draw and what arrows are you using...need more info.

·
Registered
20,553 Posts
AS -

Unless you're shooting full lenght shafts, you're way over spined.

That bow calls for a 28.5" 1916 (0.623" deflection) and you're trying to get away with a 2213 (0.460" deflection) which is about #10 over-spined. The 1916 is about 6 grs heavier than the 2213.

C'on fess up, you used the Easton charts, didn't ya ... ;)

BTW - the shelf ain't helpin' either :eek:

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Viper 1, I did look at the Easton chart and have lot of 2213's from my training wheel days. I don't have any 1916 around (will find some) any other size work. How about a flipper rest? Can I use plastic
vane with a flipper rest?

Arrow Shooter

·
Registered
20,553 Posts
AS -

When I suggest an arrow for a given bow, it's always a "starting arrow". It may not be the best for a given setup, but it's one that has the best change of being tunable. From there, by tuning, you can figure out if it is the best, or which way you need to go. The next choice would be a 2016 in xx75 or a 2014 if you want to go with X7s, you could probably squeek by with a 2114 and a heavy heavy head. IMH experience for a Herter's bow in that weight, the 1916 should be a good match, and yes YMMV.

Spring loaded flippers are fine as are the Bear J-2 and Weather rests. Most of my Herter's bows came with brush rest, but doubt you can still find them.

Yes, with flippers you can use vanes, but unless you plan on shooting in very wet weather, feathers are a safer bet - just more forgiving.

Good luck!

Viper1 out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts