Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 5 year old son is wanting a bow for Christmas. :smile: I went to the pro shop and they suggested and showed me the Diamond Infinite Edge Pro. I like it because of its huge adjustability in both draw length and weight and it looks like an adult bow (not a cheap kiddy bow). I am wanting to get some opinions about the different youth bows/bow packages on the market including the Infinite Edge Pro. I would like for this to be good quality bow that will grow with him and use for hunting and 3D. Pros and cons of any youth bow would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
102 Posts
My 8 yr old son has a PSE Mini Burner and my 5 yr old daughter has a Bear Apprentice 3. I am impressed by both bows, especially for the money. I bought both as ready to shoot for under $200 each. The bear is more adjustable on draw weight, can go to 60 lbs at max draw length. Our PSE only has 29 lb limbs. Either way, it wasn't a huge initial investment and if they decide down the road that they do not like it, I can sell them. I liked the Diamond, I just didn't want to lay out that kind of $ because I knew that once my son got into it, my daughter would and he is a lefty and she is a righty.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've seen the Genesis at some shops, runs for $200 as well , looks well made and I'm considering it for my 5 year old as well

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
532 Posts
You can often pick up a genesis at a yard sale for cheap. Had a buddy pick one up at a yard sale for $5. He sold it to me and made some money, but definitely cut me a deal compared to what it was worth.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Infinite edge is a nice bow for sure, but I think for right now will be too big for a 5 year old. It's probably too heavy...Maybe start him out with something smaller and upgrade down the road. My 8 year old also shoots a PSE Mini Burner and it's perfect for him. He is an average size kid. If he was any younger or smaller I would have looked for a diamond nuclear ice. Once they learn to shoot, and build up strength (and size) move up to the infinite edge.

·
Registered
57 Posts
One of my buddies just purchased a infinite edge pro for his young daughter, she is shooting it very well and seems like a solid bow for the youngsters. I will be looking for one for my 6yr old son.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'd recommend the Diamond Atomic or something of similar weight. For a small child the Infinite Edge or anything in that weight class is just to heavy for them to hold extended from the body. They end up leaning back with a high bow shoulder to support that weight.

I moved my son up too fast from his Atomic to an Infinite Edge causing a significant breakdown in his form. Learned my lesson.

Good luck.

Bob

·
Registered
477 Posts
I bought my 10 year old an Ignite. Works for him. Not sure if I would recommend these highly adjustable bows for anyone younger. Might be a little heavy and could develop bad habits.

·
Shootin and Cussin
22,954 Posts
At 5 he needs a Genesis or, better yet, a recurve. Give him a few years with that then move him to a compound.

·
Registered
4,774 Posts
I'd recommend the Diamond Atomic or something of similar weight. For a small child the Infinite Edge or anything in that weight class is just to heavy for them to hold extended from the body. They end up leaning back with a high bow shoulder to support that weight.

I moved my son up too fast from his Atomic to an Infinite Edge causing a significant breakdown in his form. Learned my lesson.

Good luck.

Bob
THIS ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

A Diamond Infinite Edge is NOT a good bow for a 5,6,or 7 year old! They are TOO HEAVY for a small child. You need to find a different "PRO" shop. Forget the Genesis too. Go with a Diamond Atomic or a Diamond Nuclear Ice. At 2 lbs, they weigh over a lb less than an Infinite edge and almost 2 lbs less than a Razor Edge.

You can't tell most men how a 3+ lb bow feels to a small kid. But if I handed most men a bow that is the same percentage of their body weight as the 3 to 4 lb bow they set up for their kid, they would **it a brick! I can do it with simple math. Lets say the kid is 50 lbs, and dad is 200 lbs. And lets say we give the kid a 3 lb bow. What weight bow would it take for dad to have the same weight bow relative to his body weight:

50 lb body / 3 lb bow = 200 lb body / X lb bow

Solve for X and you come up with a 12 lb bow!!!!

How fun do you think it would be to shoot a 12 lb bow guys? And we're talking about your FIRST BOW.

Now, on top of your 12 lb bow, how would you like it if we took away most of your let-off and gave you a 12 lb Genesis? After a few arrows, you would be DONE.

Oh, and let's not forget the arrows that most guys give their kids, their old hunting arrows. Cut off at 22 to 24" end up around 250+ grains, out of a 20 lb bow. Let do the math on the arrows assuming dad is shooting 60 lbs: X gr arrow/60 lbs = 250 gr arrow/20 lbs.

Doing the math, we come up with a 750 grain arrow at 60 lbs, with a 12 lb bow, with no let-off. My guess is that most of you wouldn't find that combination very fun, yet you expect your kids to do it.

Get your 5 yr old a Diamond Atomic or Nuclear ice and a some Carbon Impact Super Club 10/20 arrows and watch your kid have a ball.

Also, invest in a nice back-stop. The justification men use to cut off some old hunting arrows instead of buying youth arrows is, "they will break or loose them anyway! No they won't if you will make a nice back-stop for them! One sheet of Foamular 2 in. x 4 ft. x 8 ft. R-10 Pink Foam sheathing from Home Depot cut in half and doubled makes an awesome 4 ft x 4 ft x 4 inch thick backstop!

The arrow rest that comes with most youth bows is usually crap too. I highly recommend investing in a size small Whisker Biscuit rest and you will have the safest set-up for the small diameter Super Clubs.

Good luck.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Wow... Thanks for this. I was going to start this same thread but found it in the search first.

My 11 year old daughter wants a bow and I was looking at the Bear Warrior. Is it a decent bow for a beginner?

·
Registered
812 Posts
Dewboy's post wins this thread. OP stated he had a 5 year old son. A Diamond Atomic is proportionate to someone that age. My 6 year old has one. He's a bit over 4 foot tall and the Atomic fits him. He wanted a stab on the front because dad's bows have them...immediately said it was too heavy like that. Maybe in 5 years time he'll be big enough and strong enough for an Infinite Edge or something similar, but at this age the Atomic is the right size. I also second the recommendation of putting a different rest on there. That Hostage blows chunks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the feedback. We (pro shop and myself) were both concerned about the weight of the bow. Looks like the Atomic also has a whole website dedicated to kids archery with games and other activities for them. Will definitely look into getting the Diamond Atomic for him. Appreciate the help.

·
Registered
477 Posts
My just turned 7 year old shoots a Diamond Nuclear Ice. Fits him great. If the Atomic is the new Nuclear Ice I would highly recommend it.

It's pretty adjustable as well, but for pint sized kids.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Diamond Atomic unless he is left-handed. If he is left-handed, I would go with Genesis Mini or Nuclear Ice (if you can find one). I am currently looking at the PSE Mini Burner for a 7 year old upgrading from a Genesis Mini. And as Dewboy and Bob pointed out, at this age, the mass of the bow is the most important factor in having good form.

Why would I not recommend the Atomic for lefties? Because they don't exist. (Why Diamond? Why?)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would recommend a Bear Cruzer Lite. All three of my kids have a Bear. 2 of them have the Bear apprentice III and my oldest has the Bear Cruzer lite. The Cruzer lite replaced the Apprentice line last year. There a light bow, ton of adjustability and $299 for the ready to hunt package. My archery shop even threw in the arrows. Great bows and my kids love shooting them. You might even be able to find a used apprentice II or III on here, which IMO still a great starter bow. We tried out all the above mentioned bows and the Bears are the ones they liked the best. My youngest started shooting when he was 7. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I bought my stepson a diamond infinite edge a few months ago. He is 11 and he loves it. It's a great little bow that has tons of adjustments. I've shot it a few times for the hell of it and it's really nice. I know there are quite a few good youth rigs out there but the infinite edge is a sweet little package.

Once he gets a little older you can upgrade the rest and sight and the bow will grow with your son.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The Mini Genesis Bow goes from 5lbs - 15lbs and is a great bow to start out with, and depending on where you live is a doorway to shoot in the N.A.S.P (national Archery in School Program) in elementary, middle & High School. I have an 8 year old the I gave a mini genesis bow to earlier this year and he loves it even set it up to where he is using a release and sights on it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts