Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 02 ultratec that i bought used. It is a great bow but when i hooked up a hand held bow scale it only came in it 58lbs. The limbs are marked 60 - 70 lbs. It has the excel cam on it and the draw stop is in the #2 hole. I have limbs cranked on the way in also. The only thing i can figure is it is short strung or something like that. But to lose 12lbs is just mind boggling. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Have you tried measuring the string and cables? Would be about the only way to know. You can find the specs at http://www.hoytusa.com/technical/charts.tpl?page=02_ultratec.inc&Cart=3269540257703445. Other then that maybe the wrong sticker was put on?? Actually you find this at times. Helped at one shop and we got quite a few bows from another shop where they had done a lot of different string lengths just to get the bow to fit the customer. In fact had a Magnatec on Saturday the had a string 3" too long on it. Was put on by a different shop just to give him the draw length/weight. Customer knows and was fine with it.

·
Lefty Senior Member
2,815 Posts
is the limb sticker still attached? If not call Hoyt with the serial number they will be able to tell you how the bow left the factory. But it sounds as though if it is not the wrong strings, that bow probably had a CC+ and was swapped to the excel cam . Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I just bought a Red Head hand scale for $20.00 and it's accuracy is under suspicion. A pro shop that says my bow pulls a peak of 54 lbs. registers 40 lbs. peak on the hand scale. Other archers have tried it and also said that it was way off. I am going to try it on a fifty lb. bag of cement, or some other type of commercial package, at first opportunity. I may then return it to the store.

I would trust a hand held scale without verification.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bow

I wil try to email hoy tonight and see what they say. Also hand scale i used seemed to be accurate i used it on my protec which is a 50 to 60 pound bow and i have the limbs turned all the way in and it was one pound off. also we have checked scale on other bows and against three pro shop scales and it is on. as long as you draw it nice and smooth. i drew it a few times and it gave same reading each time. Also i am going to take bow to pro shop and use there scale. also i beleive it has the orginal cam because the sticker has nothing about adjustable draw length and doesn't cc+ have adjustabilty. I bought the bow from a very good fellow how seems very trust worthy and would have told me if it was switched. I'll let you know what hoyt says.

·
Registered
371 Posts
What draw length is that bow bow? My bow is a 70 lb bow but the draw length is 29 inches and it only pulls 66 lbs.

Having a shorter draw length lessens the total pull weight .........

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
twisted cable

well took bow to pro shop and tryed to twist cable up and that didn't work itryedto contact hoyt but couldn't finda phone number or email address on web site. please help.

·
Lefty Senior Member
2,815 Posts
Bud, Here is the address and phone for Hoyt. Let us know what they say.

Hoyt USA • Salt Lake City, Utah • 84116-2887
Phone: (801) 363-2990 • Fax (801) 537-1470

Mallard, that is incoorect your DL has nothing to do with the poundage of your limbs, unless you have swapped cams. the poundage does not change with the Dl on a cam it remains constant unless other things influence the specs of the bow, Such as string and cable stretch which might be your problem.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
answer

took bow to pro shop where they took off sting and found that it is either very streched but most likely they put a longer string on it. This ended up making bow a 1.5 inches shorter in draw length also it made the a to a longer

·
Registered
371 Posts
hoytshooter69 said:
Mallard, that is incoorect your DL has nothing to do with the poundage of your limbs, unless you have swapped cams. the poundage does not change with the Dl on a cam it remains constant unless other things influence the specs of the bow, Such as string and cable stretch which might be your problem.
I my bows case you are correct.......mine came from the factory set at [email protected]".......

If you have a bow that says [email protected]" and shorten it to 29", you won't get 70lbs out of it.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I'm not gonna make this into a pissing contest.

I know for a fact if you twist your string to achieve a shorter draw length, it will affect max draw weight.

I had my old bow re-cam'd so my son could shoot it. The new cams took it down to 27".......I will max it out and see how many pounds it's pulling. I know what it would max before any work was done to it.

This may be true of the newer bow with all the new fangled cams and modules.......my mathews is the first bow I've had with such equipment. The old bows had different pegs to adjust for different draw lengths.

That's what I was referring to.

The newer bows I know nothing about..........guess I should learn though, if I'm gonna shot one.

·
Registered
371 Posts
My Mathews MQ1 came from the factory set at [email protected]".

I believe they replaced that cam with a 29".

The sticker says [email protected]", would the pro shop replaced the original sticker that said [email protected] and put one on that now says [email protected]?????

Mine will only get 66lbs........could it be that the cable has stretched?

What else could cause this?????:confused:

·
Registered
556 Posts
Try this 800 number for Hoyt..1-800-522-4698...number 1 on the menu will get you customer service.

·
Registered
371 Posts
bsand said:
Try this 800 number for Hoyt..1-800-522-4698...number 1 on the menu will get you customer service.
Very funny, your a funny guy.........but I doubt Hoyt knows much about a great bow like a Mathews.:p

You have their number down pat, how many times did you have to call them before you memorized it?:eek:

·
Registered
556 Posts
ARMallardslayer

If you'll check mrmallardslayer the thread was initiated (that means started) about an ULTRATEC bow which I think is still being made by HOYT USA!

·
Registered
371 Posts
Re: answer

BUDSHOOTER said:
took bow to pro shop where they took off sting and found that it is either very streched but most likely they put a longer string on it. This ended up making bow a 1.5 inches shorter in draw length also it made the a to a longer
This was 5 posts up from yours, he already found out what was wrong.

If you'll check mrmallardslayer the thread was initiated (that means started) about an ULTRATEC bow which I think is still being made by HOYT USA!
Well Missbsand, if you had read the whole post, you'd already know he had the problem found. Then the rest of the thread was about something else. I assumed(that means I thought you were smart emough to know) since his problem was fixed we could talk about mine.

I thought you were trying to be funny and were answering my post, but I can see there is no humor in you.......

Have a nice life.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts