Archery Talk Forum banner

Help! Can't find the right release!

676 Views 19 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  no eye deer
So, I'm trying to follow the teachings of Bernie Pellerite and he recommends using a release that has almost no trigger travel, but one that takes alot of pounds of pressure to set-off (I'm talking wrist-strap, caliper releases). Can anyone recommend one that fits this criteria (because mine doesn't!)- and do most people agree that this is what I should be looking for in a caliper release?
Also: I struggle with target panic and am trying to use Bernie's method of "reprogramming" my shot sequence. I have some back tension releases that make life so much easier, but I am not sure about using them for hunting, which is my primary objective, so I am assuming that I should be using whatever release I plan to hunt with for all or most of my shooting right now. I have a hard time shooting a trigger release using back tension, plus I am much more likely to punch or freeze with this type of release. Has anyone been in my situation and found the right compromise between committing to something that works for archery in general or committing to whatever will work best for bowhunting? How about a Bernie's "can't punch" or similar?
HELP? and THANKS FOR ANY AND ALL REPLIES!
Dave Smith
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
3,895 Posts
Bernie's Can't punch would work well for target and for hunting. It will help you with your shot sequence and then by hunting season, it should be automatic.

· Registered
2,170 Posts
Get yourself a carter 2 shot and have them put in a 7lb spring in it and learn to shoot it by just resting your finger with some pressure on the trigger and pulling straight back with your elbow like michael braden explains on his dvd.

· Registered
359 Posts
don't worry about what release you will hunt with. learn how to shoot correctly with a back tension release. When you learn how to execute a shot it is very easy to apply that to a good caliper.

· Registered
1,884 Posts
don't worry about what release you will hunt with. learn how to shoot correctly with a back tension release. When you learn how to execute a shot it is very easy to apply that to a good caliper.
YES!

Exactly.

After learning with a hinge release, move to a Carter 2 Shot for hunting. Best caliper for feel on the market. It has a bunch of sears so you feel no travel or draw weight. Just squeeze until it breaks.

· Registered
841 Posts
Truball Short'n Sweet.. will fit that bill. Nice low travel trigger & set the pull hard.

My favorite hunting release.

· Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For all the guys suggesting the 2 shot, what about the new RX 2? I like the looks of it's design for hunting, since I always have on at least one full face mask. Do you think the extra sears in the 2 shot make quite a bit of difference? (I'm assuming the RX2 doesn't have them?)
THANKS!!!!

· Registered
292 Posts
I haven't shot a release that is more crisp than the 2 shot! The trigger compares to some of my best rifles. I've shot a lot of releases, and the 2 shot is my favorite. Next would be anything in the Scott line. They have a little creep, but not much.

· Registered
12,459 Posts
Get yourself a carter 2 shot and have them put in a 7lb spring in it and learn to shoot it by just resting your finger with some pressure on the trigger and pulling straight back with your elbow like michael braden explains on his dvd.
This is exactly what I was thinking. It worked for me. The 2 Shot has the BEST trigger on the market. I think anyone who has ever shot one would agree. There are very few BESTS but IMHO, this release is one.

YES!

Exactly.

After learning with a hinge release, move to a Carter 2 Shot for hunting. Best caliper for feel on the market. It has a bunch of sears so you feel no travel or draw weight. Just squeeze until it breaks.
This is exactly what I do. I shoot a Zenith Xcelplus and then hunt with the heavy spring 2 Shot. It is super sweet!

Dave if you want to see the master of the 2 shot, get a copy of Straight Talk with Michael Braden. He is the man when it comes to shooting a wrist strap and more specifically, the 2 shot.

· Registered
1,008 Posts
2 shot

I have a 2 shot with HEAVY springs- it is the best thing since sliced bread to me for hunting. I hate to say it, but the can't punch CAN BE PUNCHED, it only magnifies the punch so that you not only miss when you punch, but you launch arrows 3 ft over the target and into the sheet metal buildinng behind it (not that it was me who did this or anything).

I know some dont see it, but being able to really lean hard on that trigger without it going off HELPS with getting over the TP. The 2 shot allows for this and you never feel any creep in the trigger at all.

· Registered
3,895 Posts
I have a 2 shot with HEAVY springs- it is the best thing since sliced bread to me for hunting. I hate to say it, but the can't punch CAN BE PUNCHED, it only magnifies the punch so that you not only miss when you punch, but you launch arrows 3 ft over the target and into the sheet metal buildinng behind it (not that it was me who did this or anything).

I know some dont see it, but being able to really lean hard on that trigger without it going off HELPS with getting over the TP. The 2 shot allows for this and you never feel any creep in the trigger at all.
The only way Bernie's Can't Punch can be punched is if you have it set with the triggers too close together. I have alot of experience with this release and I assure you that when I set it up, you're not punching it! You'll have to shoot it properly or it just won't go off!

· Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I think that settles it: I'm going to have to sell a few extra turkey decoys this month so I can buy a 2 shot! I'm still a LITTLE curious about the new RX 2, because it says on the Carter website that it was designed with the help of Michael Braden and some guy named Randy Ulmer?? he he. Randy Ulmer calls the RX 2 the ultimate hunting release.
GUYS: as always: THANKYOU!! You all have helped me so much I appreciate it a TON- THANKS!
DS

· Registered
2,188 Posts
Both the 2 shot and the quickies have no trigger creep at all.
The 2 shots have factory installed springs, so I think a heavy spring with attension to the Trigger travel setting would give you what you want.
The quickies and the new generation rx1 and rx2 have the ITS spring system and have a greater self adjusting element to them.Still very good.
Anchor may come into play between these 2 different style releases.
The 2 shot's trigger is reletively back and the quickies have a trigger forward desighn.

· Registered
969 Posts
Try a Fletcher Flathead. It's the ONLY caliper type release I've found over the last two or three thousand dollars worth of releases that will adjust from a hair trigger to one so stiff that you can't make it go off - and all with zero play with no part(s) replacement(s). The Carters mentioned are nice too - if you can get the spring you want and can stay within that spring's adjustment range. I'd recommend trying one at a shop; there's nothing to lose! I like my Carter Quickie, but it's somewhere in my release box right now as my current collection of springs for it are all to heavy; I'll need to get a lighter collection. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.