Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The string on my hoyt Alphamax is starting to fray around the peep. I plan to replace it MYSELF after my 3d season. I have the correct string to replace it. It is a Fuse string, for the hoyt bone collector 70#-80# limbs set at 70#. The AMO string length is listed at 55". When I did a few quick measurements, with the string fully attached and NOT in a press, I came up with 56.75" and 57" from tip to tip(but I did have to navigate slightly around peep, nock, and silencer) granted these measurements may be a "hair" long, but seemed fairly precise. Those measurements are while it is fully functional. Everything is set PERFECT on the bow currently, I don't want to change a thing, But I need to replace the string.

Should I twist or untwist the string to fit this measurement? Should I plan for string stretch? should I measure my new string against my old string, while off of the bow?

any info on changing these strings would be amazing....

thank you!

·
Lowered expectations
15,637 Posts
Take a closeup photo of the cams so you can set them at the same rotation position with the new string. Or at least mark the cams where they cross the limb. Check the bow weight and accurately check the draw length as well.

Take careful measurements of your nocking point, and the height of your peep above the nocking point, and the position of any other other string attachments so you can put everything back exactly.

Use a proper press, and take several turns out of the limbs before pressing the bow. Double check every connection before easing the pressure back on. You don't want a string or cable loop coming off the post or track. Then when it's out of the press, check all the loops and tracks again before you draw the bow.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks alot stash!I like the idea of the close up photo. Great tips! I truly appreciate it! my friend just had a new bow put together, and the strings weren't put on properly, and they snapped during his first draw. I will definately be EXTRA careful

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
Thanks alot stash!I like the idea of the close up photo.
Take close-up photo's of top cam (both sides), bottom cam (both sides) and then back up and take photos from a distance. Digital photos are cheap :)

First string change I did I printed the photos off, marked them top/bottom and which side and had them on the bench as I put the new strings/cables on.

Some might snicker, but it's easy to get that one end of the cables on wrong, or have the control cable upside down, etc.

·
Banned
342 Posts
Then you dont have the right string to replace it. If the spec of your bow string for that model and cam size is 55", you need a 55" string. Order a custom string from www.hmbowstrings.com or 1/2 doz other custom guys that are known on AT. Get 22 strands 452. Get the colors you want .Get thin center serve.Order spec length or 1/4" at the max long..

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
Take a closeup photo of the cams so you can set them at the same rotation position with the new string. Or at least mark the cams where they cross the limb. Check the bow weight and accurately check the draw length as well.

Take careful measurements of your nocking point, and the height of your peep above the nocking point, and the position of any other other string attachments so you can put everything back exactly.

Use a proper press, and take several turns out of the limbs before pressing the bow. Double check every connection before easing the pressure back on. You don't want a string or cable loop coming off the post or track. Then when it's out of the press, check all the loops and tracks again before you draw the bow.
Great advice , Don't put the fuse string on the bow get a quality custom set like from Jbk bowstrings for only $55 a set! to your door! I have the number if you are interested and I can help guide you as well on how to put the strings on and get the bow in spec.

·
edthearcher
6,464 Posts
The string on my hoyt Alphamax is starting to fray around the peep. I plan to replace it MYSELF after my 3d season. I have the correct string to replace it. It is a Fuse string, for the hoyt bone collector 70#-80# limbs set at 70#. The AMO string length is listed at 55". When I did a few quick measurements, with the string fully attached and NOT in a press, I came up with 56.75" and 57" from tip to tip(but I did have to navigate slightly around peep, nock, and silencer) granted these measurements may be a "hair" long, but seemed fairly precise. Those measurements are while it is fully functional. Everything is set PERFECT on the bow currently, I don't want to change a thing, But I need to replace the string.

Should I twist or untwist the string to fit this measurement? Should I plan for string stretch? should I measure my new string against my old string, while off of the bow?

any info on changing these strings would be amazing....

thank you!
replacement string numbers are on your limb, if unreadiable go to the hoyt web site, if bow is to old to be on hoyt web site call them. do not use a guess by gosh measurement. that being said I dont know why you would replace them with fuse strings. if you order after market strings that are prestretched they will come with the end loops tied in some fashion so the strings will not come untwisted. put bow in press relax the strings. replace one at a tie try not to let the new strings untwist. a new after market string will also have the center of the main string marked with a piece of thread threw it to make it easier to install your peep it really is simple

1 - 8 of 8 Posts