Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been wanting to try traditional archery for a long time, the my elk I shot this year came all the way in to 10 yards and stayed in between 10 and 50 for a hour, the whole time i was thinking that i wish i already had a traditional bow. I ended up taking him at 30 yards he went 28 yards and toppeled over. That was september 16th and sense then I have built a , red oak board bow and gotten a couple very old recurves that my dad has had out in the barn for 30+ years. The best one is a 2 piece ben pearson 58" recurve that is 50# at 28" and for some reason i can not shoot that thing, I have a 30" draw and it seems to me to stack pretty bad after about 27" or so. I seem to hit to the right every time 1.5 feet at 20 yards. The other is a old all fiberglass 40# 54" Shakespeare bow that is 45 years old. It is noticeably slower but i can hit a milk jug every time at 25 yards. the little one looks like a toy or I would just hunt with it. I would like to try a longbow to use to both hunt desert mule deer and elk with.
I would also like to keep it under 300 bucks. any help would be great, i know very little about traditional archery, i just know that the 74" red oak board bow i made it too slow but fun to shoot, and the old pearson recurve is fast enough but no fun to shoot.

·
Registered
742 Posts
tonydc220, you can make the red oak 74" bow some faster by cutting one inch off of each end, thats 1" off the tips, will make it a 72" bow. File in new string nocks, then give it a try. The bow should stronger for you, and of course shoot faster. You also can get a little more speed by narrowing the tips from about 6" down the limbs, then do new string grooves. Narrowing the tips will make it faster. scout4<><

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks scout, i already gave that bow away to my little brother.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts