Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Hoyt helix turbo
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to archery and I'm trying to pick a set up. I think I want a drop away rest. I'm trying to choose between these two and am wondering what makes one better than the other or should I be looking at something else. I will be shooting in the yard and hopefully deer hunting next season. I am planning on a Hoyt torrex for a bow.
Thanks for any help!

Attachments

·
Registered
346 Posts
QAD makes a specific Hoyt rest. Same thing but it mounts specifically to the Hoyt riser. So I’m a way a more solid mount. I had one on my Mathews. I’ve shot QAD for 6 years and no issues. But some will say they are garbage and failure will happen…blah blah.
You have the other camp that limb driven is better than string driven drop away. And truthfully my new bow I’m trying limb driven. Which leads to the Hamskea rest. Supposedly bomb proof and the new craze.
Truthfully if you are new to archery. Throw a whisker biscuit on it for a few months. Only 20-30$. Focus on your form and other aspects of shoot. Do more research on rest. Go to a shop that has different ones you can try. And honestly you can’t go wrong with what you choose. It’s all about what you like and personal taste.

·
Registered
109 Posts
If you're interested in the QAD top shelf stuff, I have a QAD MXT microtune for sale, great condition and fully functional. $130 tyd. Pics, videos, etc. available.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I would pick up a Ripcord or Hamskea. You cannot go wrong with either one. Both are limb driven and reliable. The Ripcord is built just like the QAD, but limb driven. So you can take out any QAD setup/ timing issues you might have. But still have similar containment. You can find both in the classifieds decent money.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Between those two the HDX is a superior rest by a mile. I shot the HDX for a long time. Made the switch to Hamskea Hybrid Hunter Pro a few years ago and have not looked back. You can often find them in classifieds for less than the cost of a new HDX. Good luck and welcome to archery / ArcheryTalk.
Wow I didn’t know qad’s had a shelf life! 🤣

·
Registered
37 Posts
I will second what everyone has said about the QAD Hunter. I got my first bow last year and went with the Hunter. I got bounce back contacting the vanes and could not get a good broadhead tune. Looking to switch it out this year. I agree if you just need something very low budget to start out, go with a whisker biscuit.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I will second what everyone has said about the QAD Hunter. I got my first bow last year and went with the Hunter. I got bounce back contacting the vanes and could not get a good broadhead tune. Looking to switch it out this year. I agree if you just need something very low budget to start out, go with a whisker biscuit.
A whisker biscuit is not low budget. It’s actually a great rest! There are a lot of guys here who would agree.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts