Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Gentlemen/ladies, I need someone to talk me off the cliff or to give me a stern shove all in!
Relatively new to archery/bow hunting. Long story short, I was gifted a hand-me-down bow, about 15 year old set up, and have fallen head over heels. I am at the point to financially dive in and purchase a new bow. Fortunate enough to have a fantastic local archery shop who willingly allowed me to exercise any “newer” setup I’ve requested, give their input, pro/cons etc!
I’ve settled on a Mathews V3 27”! Although I’m sure the make/model can be debated for days on end... I’m not here for that.
More over, I am looking for wisdom on committing to a “brand new” flagship bow and premium price VS a used bow from AT or other online forum?
Thanks for your time and input.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Not too long ago I decided to upgrade from my entry level price point bow to a flagship. For me I chose to go used and found a great deal on the classifieds right here on A/T. Bottom line in my humble opinion is if you want to go brand new then go for it. You sound like you researched your decision before making it. Good luck with your choice.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
209 Posts
I definitely think you will get much more bang for your buck buying a used flagship. I recently bought a bow that costed $1100 earlier this year, for $625 in basically perfect condition. However that comes with risks. There are plenty of posts here about how to be safe when dealing with the classifieds. You also might not have the full support of your shop if you buy a used bow somewhere else. However a good shop should still be perfectly willing to accept your cash to get it set up! The biggest thing is to get set up and start shooting and having fun! I will say it's worth it to pay a shop to help you get your form and tune down.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
If its not a Hoyt Invicta 37 SVX it sucks!

Just kidding. Looking for a new hunting bow i would look at Elite. Probably an Encore or Remedy. If Target bow, Elite Rezult (slow but stupid easy to shoot and tune), or if you have the cheese to spend, Hoyt Invicta 37. Depends on what the purpose is. As a catch all, I would suggest a 33" ATA-37"ATA bow. Bowtech and Elite are the easiest to work on yourself. If using a pro shop then just about any in that size. 28" ATA is limiting and generally a close quarter bow (hunting distance). All depends on what you plan on doing. To me, the perfect catch all lies close to 35 inches ATA. Over 35 leads more towards 3D/target and under towards hunting.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm all for finding a great deal on used equipment but if spend that much time at your local shop trying and having them set up bows for you it would seem pretty low to buy elsewhere.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Gentlemen/ladies, I need someone to talk me off the cliff or to give me a stern shove all in!
Relatively new to archery/bow hunting. Long story short, I was gifted a hand-me-down bow, about 15 year old set up, and have fallen head over heels. I am at the point to financially dive in and purchase a new bow. Fortunate enough to have a fantastic local archery shop who willingly allowed me to exercise any “newer” setup I’ve requested, give their input, pro/cons etc!
I’ve settled on a Mathews V3 27”! Although I’m sure the make/model can be debated for days on end... I’m not here for that.
More over, I am looking for wisdom on committing to a “brand new” flagship bow and premium price VS a used bow from AT or other online forum?
Thanks for your time and input.
Bought a new flagship bow in 2017 with a sticker price of 1000 for 450 on here. Bows depreciate faster than cars...

·
Registered
VXR 31.5 Ambush Traverse Stone/Elevated II
150 Posts
I'm all for finding a great deal on used equipment but if spend that much time at your local shop trying and having them set up bows for you it would seem pretty low to buy elsewhere.
I firmly disagree with this statement. Most bow shops don’t make very much on the sale of the bow itself. The accessories, arrows and set up are higher margin items for smaller bow shops. Buy a used bare bow (VXR feels very similar to a V3) and buy your accessories local.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I firmly disagree with this statement. Most bow shops don’t make very much on the sale of the bow itself. The accessories, arrows and set up are higher margin items for smaller bow shops. Buy a used bare bow (VXR feels very similar to a V3) and buy your accessories local.
Completely agree. Trying to decide the same for myself right now between triax and vxr

·
Registered
23,254 Posts
There are many threads on AT debating the topic of bow ATA.....short vs moderate vs longer. Have you shot a longer ATA bow to compare the feel....string angle at anchor.....stability? Mathews is a marketing machine and the most well known of bow brands because of that aggressive PR.....and their focus has been on shorter ATA bows by creating a perception that hunters "need" a short bow. Your local dealer will relate the same marketing because that is what is "hot" the past few years, but that doesn't mean they are the best....for YOU. Mathews tends to hold their value in the used market somewhat better, but that is often because the MSPR is higher to begin with.

Personally, I have saved a ton on money allowing someone else to fund new bow depreciation and buying a year old bow at 60% of retail. A bunch of us have a bow press at home and can justify the investment by figuring they run about what you save between a year old used bow over brand new. Plus figure a year from now your shiny new "wonder bow" will just be last year's version of the latest "wonder bow". So why not buy the 19 or 20 model year "wonder bow" and have some money left over for other archery gear...... :unsure: :unsure:

·
Registered
61 Posts
I bought a brand new sr6 . Yes I could've got it cheadper $300 less used. However I wanted to support my local shop who has always helped me out with my old bow. Plus buying new anytime I need work done a peep moved or cams timed, shoot there indoor targets it's free.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A quick opinion from South Africa, where the Revolt costs more than most people can afford (exchange rate and import costs). To give you some context, the bare bow costs more than 360 pounds of Rib Eye steak.

I hear everyone's very good advice about grabbing a good used deal for quite a bit saved, but @Mikebell00 there is no feeling like grabbing your first bow (hand-me downs don't count). If there was ever a time to smash it and buy your dream setup, this is it. There is something special about choosing your very first rig and going through the process of getting it tuned and set up, having a shiny bow out of the box (that no one else has shot) just adds to that.

My advice, splash out on your dream bow and if you want to save some money, shop around for used accessories.

·
Registered
Isaiah 6:8
1,699 Posts
more bang for your buck buying a used classified flagship, or even a new old stock flagship on the classifieds. guess it comes down to how important the warranty is to you, and how much you are willing to spend. i'd rather buy a used bow and save that extra money on nice accessories. if i had more money to work with i'd buy new all day long!

·
Registered
17,796 Posts
Go to the local shop and look for new old stock, the new stuff is out for the most part so there are likely some deals to be had.

If you really want the bow you mentioned just get it.

·
Registered
23,254 Posts
I bought a brand new sr6 . Yes I could've got it cheadper $300 less used. However I wanted to support my local shop who has always helped me out with my old bow. Plus buying new anytime I need work done a peep moved or cams timed, shoot there indoor targets it's free.
I get the desire to support your local shop....provided you have a good one to support.....many of us do not. However you could take that $300+ you saved buying a bow and add a bit to purchase your own bow press so you don't have to drive to the local shop every time you want a peep moved or your cams timed. When I shifted from many years in trad archery and doing everything myself, a compound bow looked like the engine of a 21 vehicle.....in short, highly complex. However if you start to research your particular brand, you will find folks who own the same model or brand that work on them and can offer advice to assist your learning curve. It is a joy to work on your own bow and understand it far more deeply than simply being the operator. However in the long run, each individual has to decided how far down the rabbit hole of archery they want to delve.... some are not mechanical by nature and have no desire to learn such skills. That is fine.....pay someone else and trust they are skilled and efficient.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I have been shooting used bows off of here since 2009. Most under 300$

Levi will outshoot you with a kids bow and tiger woods will beat you with Walmart clubs.

Find a bow you like and learn it.

Right now I’m shooting a 2016 PSE phenom SD and love it.

I choose to shoot it.

I shoot better than my friends with there 1000$ bows.

Don’t buy junk. But it doesn’t have to be pricy.

Like my 400$ savage out shoots friends hi end customs.
Sorry. It’s just the way it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
I'd recommend a newer shooter to buy NEW from a reputable dealer.... There are lots of folks on here that will tell you that the best shooting bow you will ever have is the one you tune for yourself. The problem is, you're new and I don't think there are a lot of people who can learn to tune and shoot at the same time.

I say buy the new bow of your choice. Let the shop set it up for you and shoot it. If/when you have an issue with it, learn how to work on it as you go.

IMHO, buying a used bow is only worth it if you know how to do the work yourself. I've had more than one customer who opted to go with a used bow after talking to me or "test driving" one of my bows.... But they ended up with the wrong DL or the DW didn't go as low as they thought it would. They both ended up shipping the bows to me to setup and ship back. In the end, one guy saved $25 compared to a New bow. The other guy ended up spending MORE than if he just ordered a New bow from me. Bottom line, unless you know how and have the equipment needed to do the work, you aren't saving as much as you think.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts