Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
5,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have a problem with arrow POI that I cant figure out.

I have two sets of ACCs 349s and 339s.

The 349s are cut to 28" inches from throat to end of shaft, mini blazers and 100 grain tips.

Total weight-376 grains

The 339s are cut to 29", mini blazers and 100 grain tips.

Total weight-330 grains.

I'm shooting them out of an Apex 7 at 52 pounds, 28.5" DL.

The thing I can't figure out is that these arrows are hitting nearly the same at forty yards. POI is about an inch difference on avergage.

The 349s are grouping better.

What gives?

I'm thinking it has something to do with spine, but with a 46 grain difference out of my bow, at forty yards I would think there'd be a drastic change in POI.

Help!

Thanks

· Registered
3,895 Posts
The heavier arrow carries better and probably has better f.o.c.! This will make up for the extra weight by retaining more down range speed and energy!

· Registered
5,013 Posts
A more likely answer is due to the fact that the 3-39's are smaller in diameter, they are essentially leaving the bow tail-high.

I'm willing to bet that if you took the time to lower your nock point a smidge and retune, they would in fact have a flatter trajectory than the 3-49's do.

· Registered
5,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting.

Would that also explain why the 349s are currently grouping better?

It seems to me that the 349s would be way over spined.

It also seems the 339s would also be over spined.

I think on the easton chart I should be shooting 318s?:confused:

· Registered
895 Posts
A more likely answer is due to the fact that the 3-39's are smaller in diameter, they are essentially leaving the bow tail-high.

I'm willing to bet that if you took the time to lower your nock point a smidge and retune, they would in fact have a flatter trajectory than the 3-49's do.
I agree....Shoot an aluminum arrow and then a lighter carbon. Even though the carbon is lighter it will kick tail high because of the smaller diamater and the angle its coming off the rest.(if your rest was set up with aluminums) You will have to retune to one of the two arrows to see what the difference really is.

· Registered
5,013 Posts
I've never had a bow that wouldn't shoot well because of overspined arrows... underspined yes, but never over... Don't let that bother you.

If you're happy with the 3-49's, I'd leave well enough alone. If for some reason you feel you need to make the switch, retune the bow by making the needed adjusstment to the nock point height and you should be good to go.

· Registered
5,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've never had a bow that wouldn't shoot well because of overspined arrows... underspined yes, but never over... Don't let that bother you.

If you're happy with the 3-49's, I'd leave well enough alone. If for some reason you feel you need to make the switch, retune the bow by making the needed adjusstment to the nock point height and you should be good to go.
Thats good to know.

I've always felt that overspined arrows seems to shoot very well out of that bow.

Thanks!

· Registered
1,878 Posts
Looking at Easton's charts

The shafts are the same dia

The 3-39 is only .2 grain lighter than the 3-49s

By being 1 in longer the 3-39 should be 6 gr heaver than the 3-49 and sould have POI that 1in lower than the 3-49s

I would double check the scale readings several times

What you are shooting makes sence the weights don't

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.