Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've worked a PawnShop/Sporting goods retail store for the last 12 years. I shot archery but didn't know a whole lot about it when I started. I couldn't wait to learn everything I could about the sport and how everything worked. I helped out every fall doing alot of bow maintainace and arrow fletching. The years have really went by and the guy that ran the archery shop for the last 20 years , I thought of like a brother, and one of the most knowledgable guys I know. He has in recent years been extremely burnt out. So he's recently just up and quit two weeks before KY season opens & TN opens in four weeks. Needless to say I'm covered up. Man I knew there was alot of work there but I didnt realize how much busy work there is with alot of that being stuff you just can't charge for. I've got a guy helping me that's really a great help. but only works part-time. We sell Mathew's bows and do on a yearly average of about 120 new bow set ups. I'm doing the best work possible, and trying to keep everybody happy, because I know if I don't do a great job for them this would be the time they would find somewhere else to take their business since my partner left. I have always installed or setup any item bought from me, but I get alot of guys that buy from wal-mart, bass pro, and other sporting goods stores that don't know how to properly set up a bow. I would like to know from some of the other pro-shop owners or customers are willing to pay for such services as.

refletching arrows
Reserving center serving
tying peeps
Seting up a bow that they didn't buy from me.
installing string loops
changing draw lengths

Thanks for any input:cocktail:

·
Registered
402 Posts
My local proshop charges me about 5 bucks to fletch 6 arrows
and no charge for drawlength but I would charge about 5 for tying a peep.

Hope this helps

·
Banned
738 Posts
!

Hello,as a customer,if i buy a sight,or rest,or peep,,,bolt on stuff,my proshop usually installs it for free,i usaully do it myself though,but thats how my proshop does me anyway and iam sure all customers too......:darkbeer:

·
Registered
20,088 Posts
the shop I go to charges $2 an arrow to refletch. Good luck.

·
Banned
144 Posts
half-strut said:
I've worked a PawnShop/Sporting goods retail store for the last 12 years. I shot archery but didn't know a whole lot about it when I started. I couldn't wait to learn everything I could about the sport and how everything worked. I helped out every fall doing alot of bow maintainace and arrow fletching. The years have really went by and the guy that ran the archery shop for the last 20 years , I thought of like a brother, and one of the most knowledgable guys I know. He has in recent years been extremely burnt out. So he's recently just up and quit two weeks before KY season opens & TN opens in four weeks. Needless to say I'm covered up. Man I knew there was alot of work there but I didnt realize how much busy work there is with alot of that being stuff you just can't charge for. I've got a guy helping me that's really a great help. but only works part-time. We sell Mathew's bows and do on a yearly average of about 120 new bow set ups. I'm doing the best work possible, and trying to keep everybody happy, because I know if I don't do a great job for them this would be the time they would find somewhere else to take their business since my partner left. I have always installed or setup any item bought from me, but I get alot of guys that buy from wal-mart, bass pro, and other sporting goods stores that don't know how to properly set up a bow. I would like to know from some of the other pro-shop owners or customers are willing to pay for such services as.

refletching arrows
Reserving center serving
tying peeps
installing string loops
changing draw lengths

My pro shop offers free setups on any bow bought from them, even if the accessories are bought elsewhere. Setting up a bow that wasnt bought from you, I dont see why you wouldnt charge for that. Changing DL I would do for free. Peeps and loops would be about a 5$ charge like already stated. Refletching arrows is frustrating and time consuming, I dont know why you wouldnt charge for that. Good luck with your shop, its good to hear that you are doing pretty well, even if its a bit overwelming.

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
half-strut said:

refletching arrows
Reserving center serving
tying peeps
installing string loops
changing draw lengths

I think our shop is $2/arrow refletched....center serving is like $5....peep tying is usually free because they normally buy the peeps at our shop...same goes for other things bought from shop...DL change is free....set-up is normally charged if the accessories are not bought at our shop,otherwise free...sell the string loop material and make profit on that sale but then put it on for free....only takes about 30 seconds to tie on loop...

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
i'd pay

I only take my bows to shops I trust to do certain things. I am willing to pay $10-$20 for a press fee and thats to put it on a press to do anything from: DL change to peeps to putting a new string on plus what ever parts are bought in store. A lot of shops go easy on repeat business and bringing someone else with you for their work will score big points with shop owners also.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
the place I do business with charges on items that were not purchased from his store. If any of the equipment he sells fails he stands behind it 110 %.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
I charge $20.00 to $30.00 to set up a bow not purchased in our shop. I charge 2.00 an arrow for total refletch with Duravanes, (our shop stock fletch), and 3.00 for Blazers or True-Flight feathers. I refuse to install Quick Spins at any price. I usually charge a minimum of $5.00 for anything that involves pressing a bow. If the job is low time, and low risk, I'll often overlook the charge and simply ask that the customer shop with us in the future. I charge 5.00 for D loop while allowing the customer to look over my shoulder while I'm setting it up. I charge 6.00 for a center serving with Diamondback .022, and 8.00 with BCY #62XS .022. Anything bought in our store is installed without charge. Anything bought in our store will be adjusted free of charge within a reasonable period of time. This is something that's totally up to the tech. If it's a good customer with reasonable expectations, we seldom charge for services on equipment sold in our shop. Shop cost is something we have to have to watch carefully. If we have to pay for a parts order; we need to recover the cost of these parts through the customer. We try to prepare customers for a charge whenever shop labor is required. While most charges are minimal; it prevents customers from thinking they're entitled to free service on anything they've purchased from us. My advice to you would be to be sure you're not giving away your services. If you're not charging something; this could be taken to mean that your services aren't worth anything. Nothing could be further from the truth.

·
Registered
6,062 Posts
I am not a shop owner or worker, but when I go to my local Mathews dealer, he has always set me up for free on things that I have bought from him. I bought a q2 used and i accidentally got a burr on the bottom cam. HE pressed it and buffed it out for nothing. I always pay a little extra for the accesories because I know that they are stood behind.

·
Electified Archer
3,275 Posts
Brunners charges:

Refletch arrows $2.00 each arrow
Reserve center serving $10.00
Tying in a peep $5.00
Setting up a bow about $20.00
D-loop $5.00
Changing drawlenth free

1 - 11 of 11 Posts