Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey DIY'ers!!

Need some help! I'm designing and fabricating a camera arm and i need a fluid tripod head that i can mount to it. I have been searching Ebay, there are numerous options but they dont show how they mount on the bottom. I can tear apart a old tripod i have and make it work. But i'm gonna build 3 or 4 of these and i wanna make them uniform.

Any help, advice, links or pictures would be great!! Thanks guys! and gals!!

·
(aka lug nut)
48,474 Posts
Hey DIY'ers!!

Need some help! I'm designing and fabricating a camera arm and i need a fluid tripod head that i can mount to it. I have been searching Ebay, there are numerous options but they dont show how they mount on the bottom. I can tear apart a old tripod i have and make it work. But i'm gonna build 3 or 4 of these and i wanna make them uniform.

Any help, advice, links or pictures would be great!! Thanks guys! and gals!!
Depends on the fluid head.

Either a 1/4-20 tripod mount thread size (smaller, lower weight capacity)
or
3/16-18 tripod mount thread size (medium and larger higher weight capacity).

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

or
I'm using a handycam so its a 1/4-20. Or do you mean the mounting bolt in the bottom of the tripod head are these sizes? I just can not find any pics of how these things mount!!

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
018.jpg there is a cheap tri pod at wally world its like $14 ,I bought one and took the head off and used it on camera arm ,cheap and works good.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
I bought one on ebay years ago. Works fine. Try writing sellers and asking for pics of what you can't see.

·
Catty Shack
12,345 Posts

or
I think he means 3/8"-18. I don't think a fluid head is necessary, over time I've switched everything I have - tripod, bench tripod, window mount, treestand mount - over to ball mounts. I bought a small ball mount on eBay that has a heavy duty spring clamp that I can clamp onto a limb, tree step, or treestand. Although a bit pricey, I really like Bogen/Manfroto ball mounts.

************************************************************************************************

Actually I did a quick search and here is what I have but I paid half of the total price for mine. The clamp is really stout.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PHOTOGRAPHY...312?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a0f861a0

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think he means 3/8"-18. I don't think a fluid head is necessary, over time I've switched everything I have - tripod, bench tripod, window mount, treestand mount - over to ball mounts. I bought a small ball mount on eBay that has a heavy duty spring clamp that I can clamp onto a limb, tree step, or treestand. Although a bit pricey, I really like Bogen/Manfroto ball mounts.

************************************************************************************************

Actually I did a quick search and here is what I have but I paid half of the total price for mine. The clamp is really stout.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PHOTOGRAPHY...312?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a0f861a0

Can you work the ball head with one hand? For example if I'm filming myself and I have my bow in one hand and my other hand needs to move the camera. All the ball mounts i have seen have a positive lock on them. i need something i can move with one hand and that wont move unless i move it. so thats why I'm leaning towards a fluid head.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I got the cheap tri-pod from WW. It does not screw on, it's more of a clamp. It clamps to a piece of round stock. I couldn't find a cheap one that screws on. I just cut end off and screwed it on my tubing.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Nice arm make sure to put some plastic spacers in between the Alum. so to does not sqeeeek when it is clod and dead silent in the woods if you have not done it yet

·
Catty Shack
12,345 Posts
Can you work the ball head with one hand? i need something i can move with one hand and that wont move unless i move it. so thats why I'm leaning towards a fluid head.
No, a ball won't let you use one hand. You still don't need a fluid head - just one that has two axis controlled by one lever. When I set up my camera, it usually pointed in the direction that I want to begin with. And if I decide to shoot something, the last thing I want to do is fiddle around with a camera with my free hand. That's alot of movement that could bite you in the butt.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts