Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

Thanks in advance!

Looking for help identifying this Hoyt Olympic style recurve riser and Gold Medalist limbs.

Pics are the best quality I have at this time.

It is supposed to be a 25" riser and Long limbs (70" bow), but I haven't seen it yet.

The riser is supposed to be about 15 years old, while the age of the limbs is unknown.

***Also, as far as the color for anyone who's seen it in person... Is it mint green, teal, more of a regular light green?

Any help with model, age, etc. would be great, thanks!

And if anyone could let me know how these would compare to modern ILF rigs, feel free to chime in!

Thanks again!

Screenshot_20180413-222244.jpg

Screenshot_20180413-223206.png

Screenshot_20180413-223435.png

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The riser is a Hoyt Radian. It was Hoyt's first production machined riser if I'm not mistaken.
ShooterPhil- Thanks!!!

I Googled it, and this AT thread came up. Cutouts, etc., seem to match up nicely. So, a Radian it is.

Not familiar with the Radian... Good/Bad/Ugly?

Years of manufacture?

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I had one of these - in the same color (I called it teal). I also heard that some 'Radians were twisted - I'm not sure about mine. Most later models had lateral limb adjustment, but this one did not. It was considered a pretty stiff riser. The limbs look like early wood/glass. Some did not like the half-grip. I thought it was just fine, though mine had an aftermarket Loesch half grip. (If you don't like it, there is a "how-to" make a full grip file, I believe on the Texas Archery site, though many of those files have been moved or deleted.)

·
Lowered expectations
15,644 Posts
The biggest complaint about the Radian was the grip. You might need to do some sanding, and if you screw it up, getting another one will be an issue.

By the way, closer to 25 years than 15. The limbs are probably about the same age.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had one of these - in the same color (I called it teal). I also heard that some 'Radians were twisted - I'm not sure about mine. Most later models had lateral limb adjustment, but this one did not. It was considered a pretty stiff riser. The limbs look like early wood/glass. Some did not like the half-grip. I thought it was just fine, though mine had an aftermarket Loesch half grip. (If you don't like it, there is a "how-to" make a full grip file, I believe on the Texas Archery site, though many of those files have been moved or deleted.)
Thanks, archeryal!

Yeah, I've been shooting a recurve for a while, and compounds for forever prior, but never owned an ILF rig. I'm not sure if I'd prefer a riser that's stiff or not. I've shot a few Olympic-style bows and liked them, but not enough to form an informed opinion.

Thanks for the info about the grip!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The biggest complaint about the Radian was the grip. You might need to do some sanding, and if you screw it up, getting another one will be an issue.

By the way, closer to 25 years than 15. The limbs are probably about the same age.
Thanks, Stash!

Okay, wow, that is an oldie then!

Yeah, I'm not sure about the grip. I have true medium hands (medium gloves always fit me perfectly). I prefer smaller grips to over-sized ones in general. But, I don't know enough to apply this here.

·
Archery Coach
23,291 Posts
The riser is a Hoyt Radian. It was Hoyt's first production machined riser if I'm not mistaken.
yep, owned two-one was crooked-which was about the going rate-Hoyt's first venture into machined risers didn't take into account stress relief. If you got a straight one it was a great riser save for the sucky grip (which IIRC got James Loesch making grips). the gold medalist limbs were early 90s-the next were the "Carbon Plus limbs I believe (while I don't have the Radians, I do have the limbs as well as the compound target bow that used the radian style riser-dating from around 95)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
***Okay, so I guess the big question would be how would this bow, with or without different limbs, perform compared to any of the SF/WNS Axiom riser and limb combos (obviously probably a big difference between the basic Axiom models and the Forged/Carbon combo)?

The price of this Radian is very attractive, though, and it should provide me with a good level of foundational knowledge about ILF bows before taking the plunge on a new setup.

I'll just be shooting for fun in an informal league, and my form and accuracy are strong.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yep, owned two-one was crooked-which was about the going rate-Hoyt's first venture into machined risers didn't take into account stress relief. If you got a straight one it was a great riser save for the sucky grip (which IIRC got James Loesch making grips). the gold medalist limbs were early 90s-the next were the "Carbon Plus limbs I believe (while I don't have the Radians, I do have the limbs as well as the compound target bow that used the radian style riser-dating from around 95)
Thanks for all the info, Jim. Yeah, it does seem like it's a 50-50 thing. I guess I'll string it and double-check for straightness. If it's straight, I may have a winner on my hands, then?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
If it's reasonably, or totally straight, then you're good. Those babies are stiff, and if they are straight after 20+ years they're good. String up and enjoy!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If it's reasonably, or totally straight, then you're good. Those babies are stiff, and if they are straight after 20+ years they're good. String up and enjoy!
Thanks, calbowdude! I'm assuming (I will of course still check.) that it is straight. Good call - If it's been straight for this long, it's not like the aluminum is going to warp now. If I see a warp, I'm not sure if I'll be able to determine if it's the riser, limbs, or both, so I may pass in that event. I think I will enjoy it and learn a lot from it!

Any idea how much weight +/- the limb bolts on the Radian are capable of affecting draw weight?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Old thread I realize but I just came across it. I have those same limbs in 34 lbs and shoot them every day. I don't have the age specifically but am to believe they are about 30 years old.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts