Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here’s my situation. I’m looking at these 3 bows. I like things about all 3 However one really stood out after 40 shots through each. I shot all 3 set to my specs. 29” 60 pounds. The shop set them up with a whisker biscuit rest a D-loop and nothing else. Without sight, kisser or peep all three I was able to group arrows well and even slap vanes on some by looking down arrow and putting on target. So here we go.
The Vertix
dead in hand after shot, very quite, smooth as silk draw and comfortable valley with solid back wall and decent grip. Upon reaching FD I have to bring it to the target point and level it up with grip wrist and hand, heavy! After 20 shots I was noticing the weight. Wider and bulkier than both the other bows.

Carbon RX1
Small amount of kick out and up after shot release, quite, draw is a little choppy drops hard into a short valley hits hard into stops, wants to launch feel at full draw with any forward movement, grip nice as nice as Vertix, light enough to shoot all day. Acquires target fast like as soon as you draw back it’s settled level and ready to go. I felt like I could sling arrows at target twice as fast as Vertix. Draw cycle definitely not as comfortable as Vertix
Carbon Defiant
Small kick out and up after shot, very quite, draws very smooth very close to Vertix, comfortable valley without ready to go feeling and cushioned into back wall, grip hands down for me the nicest most comfortable grip Iv ever touched, light enough to shoot all day and night, acquires target settles and ready to go at FD but just not as fast as RX1 but faster than Vertix.
My problem? Which to choose? The Vertix and RX1 are still in production the Defiant is not. The only Defiant the shop by me has or can get is in buckskin. Also the Vertix and RX1 are newer with newer technologies made into them. The Defiant is grip centered the RX1 is arrow centered. Not sure which is better for accuracy. As for comfort I feel the Defiant is a mix of the Vertix and RX1. HELP!!!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Also Is the split cable on cam, ZT cams, heavier bottom limb pocket and arrow in center grip location make this way more accurate than the Defiant bow??

·
Just thwackin' it.
7,206 Posts
No one can answer that. For me personally, Hoyt isn't even in my equation because I now loathe hybrid cams.

Nothing says imbalance like having one cable run cam-to-cam and the other cam-to-axle. Binaries tune so much easier IMO.

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Iv had a few binaries.. done with 4 hours of tuning lol. Everyone around me including one that a well know local competition archer is going back to Mathews and Hoyt. Personally I’m not interested in anymore gimmicks I just want an easy to tune dependable good shooting bow and these 3 and maybe a Triax fit the bill.. these 2 brands dominate archery events every year and for a very long time. So I ask for responders to keep information to the subject at hand. Thanks!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What I’m looking for here is thoughts and opinions in the systems and differences advantages disadvantages and from maybe people that have had experiences with these 3 bows. How did they group? How accurate? Did you have to adjust anything? Is one system better than the other?

·
Registered
509 Posts
I like my RX-1 enough to have bought a ProForce. I switched to then after owning a Triax and TRX38 (still have the TRX). I have owned about every brand and flagship the last couple years and I personally go back to Hoyt. I avoided any I needed the special press fingers for.

The only exception I’m currently shooting is a CT5.

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Personally I wouldn’t touch the defiant. Rx1 has some of the same undesirable tuning characteristics but better. Newest Hoyt’s are better but not my favorite. Won’t comment on the vertix cause I haven’t spent much time behind one but I hear good things from people I trust.
If I were you I’d shoot the helix (better riser than Hoyt’s carbon with newest cam) and the vertix and see what you think. Also same price range.

Remember you asked for my opinion. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep this is the type of information I need. So I’m looking at the Carbon riser for the lightness and warmth so in the Carbon riser bows on the market are there any better than these?

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Yep this is the type of information I need. So I’m looking at the Carbon riser for the lightness and warmth so in the Carbon riser bows on the market are there any better than these?
So vertix is heavy and that can’t be argued. Hoyt carbon and aluminum this year are virtually the same weight which also can’t be argued if you actually weigh them both and don’t look at the specs. Carbon is nice for hand warmth.
If you want a actual light carbon bow with a stiff riser gotta look at pse stealth. When I say light I’m talking about close to 1lb less than Hoyt.
I think stealth is good but I sold mine.... With that being said I wasn’t worried about weight and was willing to sacrifice hand warmth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I’m hoping to get info that explains why you choose one over the other.. Iv got into an expensive mess before by just someone saying buy this and not explaining with good reason why. Iv had Bear bows and Diamond bows and Bowtech bows and actually to be honest the Bear Encounter bow I had grouped better than the others and more consistent too. I sold it when I got the speed itch and haven’t been happy since. I shot all 3 of these bows and all grouped well.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I got back into archery early this year. I went to my local shop and tried every bow they had. Came down to the Vertix and the RX1. With the RX1 being last years bow, I could have bought it for the same price as the Vertix. The RX1 held better and felt lighter, draw was fine for me. The Vertix felt heavier, but the draw was smoother, zero handshock, zero noise and it was the 2019 "flagship" bow. Both were setup at 60lbs, the Vertix was 27.5" and the RX1 was 28" on a 2 cam. So, I bought the Vertix and ordered a Traverse for 3D. I put many arrows through them both over the past 6 months. I even shot the Total Archery Challenge with the Traverse. That said, they always felt top heavy and something just didn't jive with me. So, I went back and they still had the RX1. After setting up the RX1 and trying it again, I ended up selling the Vertix to a buddy and trading the Traverse in on the RX1. They thought i was nuts, they much preferred the Mathews bows. The RX1 just fits me. I have it dialed in and it's nearly as quiet and shock-free as the Mathews were. The guys at the shop told me its the quietest RX1 they have experienced. I'm using the RX1 for 3D at the moment and will re-tune with my hunting arrows in the fall. At that time, I'll be ordering either a Proforce or Double XL for my 3D setup. Comes down to personal preference as the Mathews bows were stellar, but the Hoyt just works for me and how I shoot.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I have seen where some have been less than satisfied with the Carbon defiant, mostly with the 2.0 Cam. My personal experience with the Carbon defiant Series bows is limited to the CD 34 and the CD Turbo # 3 cam at 30 " DL.. The CD 34 has clearly been my favored Bow of all times. I have learned to tune these bows myself & feel If you know how to tune these or your pro shop knows how to tune these well, they should satisfy. Yolk tuning is key, Knock high up to a quarter inch is common tune on the CD34 setup.
My list of likes on the CD 34 are as follows

1.) Warm to the touch low temp transfer riser material.
2.) Holds great on target.
3.) String angle works out great for my 30" draw length.
4.) Smooth draw cycle.
5.) Accuracy is as good as any bow I have worked with.
6.) Quiet, dead in the hand feel at the shot.
7.) Did I mention how I love the low thermal transfer?
8.) Suppose the light weight well balanced feel can be listed here as well.

As for dislikes.
1.) ?

Guess I can't think of any.

My experience with bows in general in the last decade is limited to the Carbon Element, CD Turbo & the CD 34 listed in order of least favorite to most favorite. For me the Carbon Element was shorter axle to axle than I would prefer. The CD turbo was a harsher draw cycle then I would prefer, Very managable. Still despite the slower IBO speed of the CD 34 the smooth draw cycle and very very manageable valley, the CD 34 wins this comparison test hands down in my book for a hunting bow. YMMV! Keep in mind I am not knocking any of these bows and just saying I do favor the CD 34 over anything I have tried to the point of feeling no need to try anything else.

Hunting cold weather (sub 20 above Fahrenheit) is common for me which is a primary reason for for me favoring the Carbon riser bows & I just may be considered a Hoyt fan through and through.

At my pay grade the New bows are off my shopping list until they have been marked down to close to 1/3 of new price. This frequently leaves me needing to replace the threads on these used bows inside of 6 months after purchase.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I own a CD in #3 cam. I shot the RX-1 at a shop last year and didn’t like it. Not sure if it was tuned properly or what, but it felt like it wanted to jump out of my hand when I shot.

I like my CD. Definitely my favorite bow. I wasn’t nuts about the carbon riser, but the price was right for me (big markdown) and the carbon is nice to have on cold days (as much as I hate saying that.. I’m getting soft I guess.)

I haven’t shot the Vertix. At the end of the day go with what fits you best and is most comfortable for you to shoot accurately. Personally, I don’t worry about how fast my bow shoots. I’d pick accuracy over speed any day.

Good luck! Enjoy your new bow 👍

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
I have a 60#, 30" draw Vertix. It is heavy, like you say. That helps me hold on target. It is very quiet and dead. I have never had a 30" ATA bow before, and at first I didn't shoot it well. Now after 1000 shots or so, I am shooting it well and loving it more every day. The draw is so nice, I have ordered 65# mods for it. Mathews bows are heavier, and it gets heavy after 40-50 shots. When I hunt, I only need one good shot. I haven't shot the RX1. I really liked the RX3. I really did not like the Carbon Defiant.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Have not shot any of them personally but I know a handful of guys who have shot all 3 and actually everyone had the same to say about the Hoyt bows and that they had a lot of vibration like a noticeable amount that kept them from purchasing them. I know one guy went with the Mathews and another a long time Mathews guy actually went with a Bowtech. In the end its whatever feels best for you.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I got back into archery early this year. I went to my local shop and tried every bow they had. Came down to the Vertix and the RX1. With the RX1 being last years bow, I could have bought it for the same price as the Vertix. The RX1 held better and felt lighter, draw was fine for me. The Vertix felt heavier, but the draw was smoother, zero handshock, zero noise and it was the 2019 "flagship" bow. Both were setup at 60lbs, the Vertix was 27.5" and the RX1 was 28" on a 2 cam. So, I bought the Vertix and ordered a Traverse for 3D. I put many arrows through them both over the past 6 months. I even shot the Total Archery Challenge with the Traverse. That said, they always felt top heavy and something just didn't jive with me. So, I went back and they still had the RX1. After setting up the RX1 and trying it again, I ended up selling the Vertix to a buddy and trading the Traverse in on the RX1. They thought i was nuts, they much preferred the Mathews bows. The RX1 just fits me. I have it dialed in and it's nearly as quiet and shock-free as the Mathews were. The guys at the shop told me its the quietest RX1 they have experienced. I'm using the RX1 for 3D at the moment and will re-tune with my hunting arrows in the fall. At that time, I'll be ordering either a Proforce or Double XL for my 3D setup. Comes down to personal preference as the Mathews bows were stellar, but the Hoyt just works for me and how I shoot.
What did you do to make it the quietest rx1?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts