Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard of some guys making their own arrow saws. I am getting a cutoff saw from Harbor Freight for Christmas and want to make my own setup. I would like to see what you all have come up with. Especially, I would like to know how you made your devices to keep the arrow square when cutting, what type of cutting wheel you use and the proper way to cut the arrow. I am going to get an ASD and arrow spin tester to go along with my setup. Please post your PICS! and details if you don't mind.:)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure what you mean about a fence?? I guess you are talking about a small metal backstop block on the saw that you hold the arrow against. I can do that but I want to be able to roll the arrow into the saw and not chop it off. I guess I can chop it and then use an ASD??

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
You can spend $30-$35 on an ASD, but you can also make your own. A number of ways to do this inexpensively. Here is mine made from a scrap piece of aluminum. I cut the block on my table saw using a carbide tipped blade. The hole sizes are 17/64", 9/32" & 5/16" to match the different size arrows I have. Drill these on a drill press to make the hole square to the bottom surface. To use, simply place a sheet of fine emery cloth, or sand paper, ~240 grit, on a flat surface such as a table saw or drill press table. Insert the arrow and slide block/arrow over paper.

I chamfered the holes at the top & more-so at the bottom to allow some room for the grit to accumulate while squaring the end.

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice Block of Aluminum!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts