Archery Talk Forum banner

Help me buy a ground blind and decoy..

607 Views 13 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  Lien2
Help me buy a ground blind and decoy..
I am going to buy a Deer decoy and a ground blind, I have never bought either so your input is most appreciated.. I will make my decision based on feed back from folks that have bought them.. I will be using it for mostly just bowhunting, so i need room to draw my bow as well as having my son in there with me... Not looking to drop a fortune on a blind if a cheaper one will do, I would rather buy two for the same price as one, just the type of guy I am. :wink:
Thanks for all the input.....:darkbeer:
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Double Bull blind.

They can't be beat. Plenty of room for two in them and their designed for bowhunters.

Don't know about the decoys. Others will have to help you there.
Thanks, gonna go give them a look...........

· Registered
740 Posts
I have a primos ground max blind with the predator camo. I believe it cost about $130 from Cabela's. It is a pretty good blind for the money. It is decent sized and seems to be built fairly well. I just got it for this last springs turkey season so we will see how it holds up.

As far as decoy go I've used a couple I started with one of the 2 dimensional decoys and didn't like it very much. Last summer I bought a Carry lite decoy. I had an awesome year with it. Lots of encounters, every buck that had a bigger rack than the decoy and could see it I had a shot opportunity at! I was extremely impressed. I'm not saying this is the best decoy out there but it definitely worked for me last fall. I think you'll get the same results with any decoy as long as you are scent conscious and play the wind right. Pros of the carry-lite decoy: very light, sturdy(had one buck knock it over nothing broke), looks very good other than the color is too light, but I believe they fixed that for this years model. Cons of the Carry-lite: can be noisy carrying it in in the dark, not the easiest thing to carry to the stand, no movement. I avoided the putting it together by doing it once and then carrying it in put together.

· Registered
390 Posts
Predator Den by Ground Maxx is dollar for dollar the best blind available. It is $120 or $130 at Cabelas. You can buy 3 for the price of a double bull and they are VERY comparable in quality. Nothing about a double bull justifies spending 3x the money.

· Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a primos ground max blind with the predator camo. I believe it cost about $130 from Cabela's. It is a pretty good blind for the money. It is decent sized and seems to be built fairly well. I just got it for this last springs turkey season so we will see how it holds up.

As far as decoy go I've used a couple I started with one of the 2 dimensional decoys and didn't like it very much. Last summer I bought a Carry lite decoy. I had an awesome year with it. Lots of encounters, every buck that had a bigger rack than the decoy and could see it I had a shot opportunity at! I was extremely impressed. I'm not saying this is the best decoy out there but it definitely worked for me last fall. I think you'll get the same results with any decoy as long as you are scent conscious and play the wind right. Pros of the carry-lite decoy: very light, sturdy(had one buck knock it over nothing broke), looks very good other than the color is too light, but I believe they fixed that for this years model. Cons of the Carry-lite: can be noisy carrying it in in the dark, not the easiest thing to carry to the stand, no movement. I avoided the putting it together by doing it once and then carrying it in put together.
Great info, thanks a bunch and good luck to you this season........:darkbeer:

Predator Den by Ground Maxx is dollar for dollar the best blind available. It is $120 or $130 at Cabelas. You can buy 3 for the price of a double bull and they are VERY comparable in quality. Nothing about a double bull justifies spending 3x the money.
I like the idea of getting a couple for less then the price of one.. I have a few spots that the only way to hunt them will be from the ground. Thanks for the info.

· Registered
1,773 Posts
I don't care what anybody tells you on here, there is not another blind on the market, ESPECIALLY not in the under $200 range that is "just as good" as a Double Bull. I've used almost every blind on the market over the last 5 years and now I own nothing but Double Bulls. Buy what you want, but you will replace 2 or 3 blinds by the time you replace 1 Double Bull. I have one that is at least 5 years old and is still in great shape. The longest one that I owned that was not a DB was 2 seasons. It was done after the second season. If you have a store nearby that has multiple blinds on display, just look at the functional features of the DB vs the others, especially in regards to the window system. No cheesy Velcro, zippers, or the ultimate in cheesy magnets. Also operate the windows, the DB windows are absolutely silent, not so on the others. The windows on the blinds with the magnets especially will flap in the wind like crazy.

Sorry, I can't offer any advice on the decoy though as I have never used one. .

· Registered
175 Posts
eastman x5

Bought an Eastman undercover x5 lst year on ebay for $20. Required 1/2 hour of sewing repair that I did myself. Would be tight for 2 archers; if son is young or is not shooting it would work. Mesh windows, easy setup/takedown. I'm looking for another.

· Registered
2,556 Posts
Maybe you got a better one than I got. Mine was trash.

So was my Ground Max Vision Blind. I put up a review on Cabela's website about that one. Good read, go check it out. It will be pretty easy to tell which one is mine.

The DB on the other hand is a quality built blind. I should have stuck with it rather than wasting my time and money on the cheap imitations.

You get what you pay for in a ground blind. If you're ok with a cheap blind that will last a season, maybe two, go getcha one.

· Archery Enthusiast
6,437 Posts
I use the Carry Lite deer decoy and it's great. I also have a Primos Ground Max Predator Den blind and it's very nice and well built. It's my pick for a conservative budget. I would pick the Double Bull Matrix for a free spending budget. I personally have the Preadator Den and it's a great blind and is the best value on the market for a blind. That being said I also have owned a Double Bull Matrix and they are the Best built blind on the market. In my case I don't use a blind enough to justify the difference in price between the Preadtor Den and the Matrix.

· Registered
365 Posts
Check out the Ameristep Doghouse TSC, has plenty of room for two people, big adjustable windows, a zip in floor, bow hooks, and gear pockets. We sell all the major brands, at discount prices I might ad, and the Doghouse TSC's have been the most popular so far. On the deer decoy, it depends on what you want the deer to do. Do you just want to stop them, or do you want them to come in and investigate? If you just want to stop them try one of the Renzo's or Montana Decoys, if you want to bring them in, try a Carrylite. Send me a PM if you're interested in a price for any of these items.

· Registered
11,635 Posts
I use the Scheel's Boondocks blind and it is great! Pops up and comes down in seconds. :wink:
The decoy I have is a Delta and I like that as well. You can take one or both antlers off to make it a doe decoy and the legs, etc. fit in the body cavity when not in use.

Lien2

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.