Archery Talk Forum banner
21 - 40 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
26,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
How high you hoping to get? I use 3 lWCG doubles with aiders and am getting 15 or so to the platform out of them. And that is with comfy spacing and me being 5'10.
14-15' is typically good for me. With my Cougar Claw climber I tend to go higher but that isn't on purpose....just feel more naked on the side of a pretty bare trunk. Most of my fixed setups have been 15-16' and ladderstands on my buddy's farm are 17-18'.

·
Scout, Hunt, Kill!!!
4,406 Posts
Three original OOAL Shikars (foldable) with Backwoods Mobile Double Versa Aiders will get you at least 18 feet to platform and pack/climb very well.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I had the novix minis for a couple seasons. Quality is fine. A little tape quieted them down well. I added some backwoods double steps to the top of each step for ease of use. Rather than retro fit another stop to the bottom I found some used beast gear 20” sticks. Still small for packability but a little extra height out of each one. I believe it was about 1.7 ounces more per stick. Because they pack in line with each other they pack at the same width as the novix. If you don’t mind used it may be the way to go to expand your possibilities.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
I bought Beast minis before season and really enjoyed them. That is coming from Hawks.
If I was going to buy now I would save myself $200 and buy a set of Skeltors. About the same weight of the Beasts at half the cost.

·
Registered
26,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I bought Beast minis before season and really enjoyed them. That is coming from Hawks.
If I was going to buy now I would save myself $200 and buy a set of Skeltors. About the same weight of the Beasts at half the cost.
Skeletors are where I started and keep ending up.....espeically after 12ringer noted that his Beast stick standoffs got bent and he had CS issues. If Novix were 20-22", I would likely already have ordered a set though. Still mulling and considering input......

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
For what it's worth, my Skeletors showed up a couple nights ago. Haven't put them on the tree yet, but very impressed out of the box. Their weight claim is spot on, and these sticks are exactly 1lb. lighter than my Muddy Pro's. Their attachment system is now the easiest to use on the market IMO (which is why I liked the Muddy Pro's so much) and they seem to be very well built. They also stack together extremely well. Short of there being some major design flaw that hasn't surfaced yet, these sticks are the real deal, and for the money might be impossible to beat.

·
The one who nocks
2,278 Posts
This year I used the Novix double steps with 20” cable aiders from LWCG on all 4 sticks. I tried the carry as you go aider and Amsteel aiders but the cable aiders were much better. The LWCG aiders are bent out a little which makes it much easier to get your foot in as compared to other aiders. As you can see in the pics I stealth stripped them and used Amsteel daisychains with a trucker’s hitch as my attachment method. I really liked them and thought they packed nicely. For the money they are going to be hard to beat. With the stealth strips they nest together very tightly. Even so, I usually strap them together but I’m not sure I would need to.
Leaf Plant Bicycle tire Automotive tire Grass
Motor vehicle Grass Groundcover Automotive tire Chair
Plant Cross Religious item Grass Groundcover
Plant People in nature Grass Terrestrial plant Groundcover
Wood Rectangle Cross Twig Natural material

·
Registered
491 Posts
I used the XOP Ultra single steps last year without any issues at all. They also packed very well with my Novix Helo. That being said, I’ve decided to get into saddle hunting next season, so I’m looking to upgrade. I’m probably going to get a set of Shikars, but I wouldn’t hesitate to try the Tethrd Skeletors. Some of the more reputable members on Saddlehunter have given them great reviews. Yes, you have to set the sticks properly, but it they had beefier standoffs, they’d weigh more and wouldn’t be as popular. For the money, I don’t think you’ll find a better stick on the market right now. To me, their attachment system is the best one out there. I hate dealing with straps and use amsteel rope mods, or daisy chains. The cleat on the Skeletors makes attaching and removing them a lot easier. That combined with the way they pack makes them a no brainer, for me at that price point.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Let me preface what I'm about to say, I am in no way shape or form putting down the Skeletors, I agree they're probably the best value out there for climbing sticks.

Now that that's out of the way... they are a good example of the power of marketing and branding. Minus the attachment method, they are essentially Leverage sticks. People couldn't give them away ~5 years ago, there were brand new 4 packs of the shorties selling for $49 on Ebay.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Timber Ninja C1. You can get them with built in /tuckable aiders.

·
Registered
26,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)
For what it's worth, my Skeletors showed up a couple nights ago. Haven't put them on the tree yet, but very impressed out of the box. Their weight claim is spot on, and these sticks are exactly 1lb. lighter than my Muddy Pro's. Their attachment system is now the easiest to use on the market IMO (which is why I liked the Muddy Pro's so much) and they seem to be very well built. They also stack together extremely well. Short of there being some major design flaw that hasn't surfaced yet, these sticks are the real deal, and for the money might be impossible to beat.
Could you please do me a favor and get outside in the near future to test the Skeletors for a first hand experienced opinion? Also, respond to the perspective of post #30 on them being a copy of a previous unpopular design. I had never heard of the Leverage sticks and had to google them ....are the Skeletors really copies of that design?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’m running two beast minis—each with a 3-step aider from Custom Amsteel Products.
I get 17-18ft to platform. So simple, fast, stable, and lightweight!
Not to mention, cheaper than buying four sticks to reach same height.

The beast sticks are definitely worth every penny. The tightest tolerances I’ve ever seen!
My mini—fully stealth stripped with a 3 step aider, a 24” rubber gear tie to secure the rolled up aider, and the daisy chain rope—weighs 2.0lbs on my scales.
2 of these with my Novix helo weighs 13-14lbs.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Could you please do me a favor and get outside in the near future to test the Skeletors for a first hand experienced opinion? Also, respond to the perspective of post #30 on them being a copy of a previous unpopular design. I had never heard of the Leverage sticks and had to google them ....are the Skeletors really copies of that design?
Yes. Tethrd acknowledged in their youtube release video that they

You can take their word for it…. They took the basic design and made some nice tweaks, mainly the attachment method.

·
Registered
26,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Yes. Tethrd acknowledged in their youtube release video that they

You can take their word for it…. They took the basic design and made some nice tweaks, mainly the attachment method.
I had watched that video previously, but apparently didn't pay much attention to the Leverage stick reference.....but it sure is there. After looking them up, a bunch of folks used them until better options showed up. It looks like the Skeletors improved on them and the price is certainly competitive. Still in the running for me. I wonder which aider would work with them?

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
I had watched that video previously, but apparently didn't pay much attention to the Leverage stick reference.....but it sure is there. After looking them up, a bunch of folks used them until better options showed up. It looks like the Skeletors improved on them and the price is certainly competitive. Still in the running for me. I wonder which aider would work with them?
Yea the attachment method alone was a huge improvement.

The Amsteel guy has Amsteel aiders for the Skeletor.

·
Registered
26,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Yea the attachment method alone was a huge improvement.

The Amsteel guy has Amsteel aiders for the Skeletor.
The very next video after watching the Thethrd PR piece showed a southern fellow unboxing a set of Skeletors and attaching amsteel aiders. Very similar to the amsteel aider I put on my previous Hawk Helium sticks from EWO. Thanks for your assistance and input.....appreicate it.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Trust me, I'm anxious to get them on a tree. Hopefully this weekend. And I'm not personally familiar with the leverage sticks, but over on the saddlehunter forum, I've seen at least a handful of guys mention this, along with the Tethrd guys themselves. Not sure if this is a good reference, or a bad one. The only negatives I've seen in regard to these new sticks, have basically been from the guys who just hate Tethrd. I have three of their products (phantom, predator and now the skeletors) and I personally have zero complaints out of any product.

21 - 40 of 102 Posts