Archery Talk Forum banner
41 - 60 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
26,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Trust me, I'm anxious to get them on a tree. Hopefully this weekend. And I'm not personally familiar with the leverage sticks, but over on the saddlehunter forum, I've seen at least a handful of guys mention this, along with the Tethrd guys themselves. Not sure if this is a good reference, or a bad one. The only negatives I've seen in regard to these new sticks, have basically been from the guys who just hate Tethrd. I have three of their products (phantom, predator and now the skeletors) and I personally have zero complaints out of any product.
Looking forward to hearing your review. I noticed that most of the negatives about the Skeletors came from folks who were angry with Tethrd as well. Since I am not a saddle hunter, I've not owned any of their products to form a personal opinion.

I did see a thread on Saddle Hunter about a guy who cut down a set of Leverage sticks to make his own mini's and also used amsteel DIY as his tree connection. Ahead of his time it appears...... ;)

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
The very next video after watching the Thethrd PR piece showed a southern fellow unboxing a set of Skeletors and attaching amsteel aiders. Very similar to the amsteel aider I put on my previous Hawk Helium sticks from EWO. Thanks for your assistance and input.....appreicate it.
I watched that video, and need to watch it again. Since the step tucks into the post somewhat when folded up, it seems like it was cause an issue with being able to fold the step up all the way, since there will be some amsteel there preventing it from tucking in completely. I already have (2) 3-step amsteel aiders. I know the amsteel guy is making aiders specifically for the Skeletors, but I'm hoping the ones I have for my Muddy's will work. Not sure what could be different about them preventing them from working.

·
Registered
26,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I watched that video, and need to watch it again. Since the step tucks into the post somewhat when folded up, it seems like it was cause an issue with being able to fold the step up all the way, since there will be some amsteel there preventing it from tucking in completely. I already have (2) 3-step amsteel aiders. I know the amsteel guy is making aiders specifically for the Skeletors, but I'm hoping the ones I have for my Muddy's will work. Not sure what could be different about them preventing them from working.
As you figure things out, please be sure to post your findings. I'm very close to placing an order for a set of Skeletors and giving them a go this year.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I also have beast minis and they are as good as everyone says, but a little on the pricy side. If money was a factor for me I would’ve gone with trophyline minis for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
This is my current mobile setup....Millennium M7 modded with standard LW sticks. Note how far past the 21" platform the sticks extend in regards to getting around in the woods. Mini sticks are close to the width of the M7 stand width and also lighter so they go up easily. I'm starting to consider getting three of the LWCG double step compacts with an aider and that might get me up high enough in most circumstances.
View attachment 7544121
I strap my sticks vertically. Whatever you decide, try to support an American made product. I carry 4 full length lone wolf on my assault stand vertically. No problem walking through the woods.

·
Registered
26,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I strap my sticks vertically. Whatever you decide, try to support an American made product. I carry 4 full length lone wolf on my assault stand vertically. No problem walking through the woods.
I do the same with my LW Assault as it is longer from front to back and they fit well like that. But when I was in the process of buying and modding the Millennium M7 stand, a couple folks on AT who were ahead of me recommended carrying sticks in that configuration so the seat acts as a hammock to help secure them in place. It works, but clearly they also stick out a ways to catch brush. The full length LW sticks will be paired with my Assault again once the mini sticks arrive.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Where legal,consider 'dropping' one stick and carrying a few Cranford screw ins.All sorts of carrying and set up benefits including getting around the 'kinks' in many trees.Old school but unbeatable in many situations.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
This is how I carried my Beast minis on the LWCG .5 stand which is 16.5" wide. Always made sure the standoff's were facing back so they wouldn't grab limbs. The sticks didn't stick out past my waist so no issues of them getting hung up.
The Titan straps are worth the money and holds everything tight.

Attachments

·
Registered
26,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
This is how I carried my Beast minis on the LWCG .5 stand which is 16.5" wide. Always made sure the standoff's were facing back so they wouldn't grab limbs. The sticks didn't stick out past my waist so no issues of them getting hung up.
The Titan straps are worth the money and holds everything tight.
Very similar to my setup and what I have in mind for the minis. Never heard of Titan straps? More info, if you please.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Very similar to my setup and what I have in mind for the minis. Never heard of Titan straps? More info, if you please.
Voile Straps if you want black instead of bright colors

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Voile Straps if you want black instead of bright colors
Yes, another great option.
I bought the Titan because they will give you a third strap for free when you buy two on your first order. To me the orange is easier to see when putting things together after a hunt.

·
Registered
26,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
I just looked them up. What length did you get to secure 4 mini sticks to your stand?

·
Registered
26,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
For the Beast sticks I have one 24" to hold the sticks together then two 30" that straps the sticks to the stand.
Thanks, that is quite helpful. Going to order some for my setup when I get my stick decision made.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
You won't need the straps to hold the sticks together, if you get the Skeletors. They are rock solid when stacked. I do like them for attaching the sticks to the stand though. I currently use NiteIze gear ties.

·
Registered
Realm X, Reckoning
690 Posts
Alaska- Novix mini's are solid. I run them with rope mods- 4 sticks with mods a little over 6 pounds. They pack awesome with the Novix stand and I'd assume the lone wolf stand. Mine are single steps, which I actually prefer to the doubles after using them all season. I don't run any aiders, and I'd assume we are around the same size (6 ft). I'm able to get my stand to 14 feet. Plenty high for the places I hunt. I'll post a pic of my setup when I get home, but whole thing with Novix Helo stand and sticks/backpack straps is 15 pounds. This is the first setup I actually used more than my trusty Summit climber.

·
Registered
26,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Alaska- Novix mini's are solid. I run them with rope mods- 4 sticks with mods a little over 6 pounds. They pack awesome with the Novix stand and I'd assume the lone wolf stand. Mine are single steps, which I actually prefer to the doubles after using them all season. I don't run any aiders, and I'd assume we are around the same size (6 ft). I'm able to get my stand to 14 feet. Plenty high for the places I hunt. I'll post a pic of my setup when I get home, but whole thing with Novix Helo stand and sticks/backpack straps is 15 pounds. This is the first setup I actually used more than my trusty Summit climber.
Thanks for the input, my friend. Yes, I am 6' as well and would be fine getting up to about 14-15'. I was actually thinking about one aider on the bottom stick and then going straight up from that point. I love my Cougar Claw climber, but there are places that hunting a suitable tree is more common than hunting the best location near trails and such.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Cut my old LW sticks down to 24”. Installed double steps, 20in aiders, and daisy chains. They are lighter, pack better, go on gnarly trees better, and get me higher. I’ve played with a bunch of other sticks but nothing performed good enough to justify spending the money. There was a great thread on saddle hunter detailing the mod.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
I'm pretty much set on snagging a set of skeletors for next fall. Anyone looked at putting novix or LW standoffs on them. You'll lose the snazzy stacking lugs, but I've never had any issues with those standoffs getting tweeked and I've treated my LW sticks pretty rough at times.

·
Registered
26,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Cut my old LW sticks down to 24”. Installed double steps, 20in aiders, and daisy chains. They are lighter, pack better, go on gnarly trees better, and get me higher. I’ve played with a bunch of other sticks but nothing performed good enough to justify spending the money. There was a great thread on saddle hunter detailing the mod.

I briefly considered that option.....but have had my LW sticks a while and wanted to keep them intact to use with my LW Assault. It isn't my mobile setup, but is really nice for a weekend set hunting around my buddy's farm. Likely going with the Skeletors.

41 - 60 of 102 Posts