Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new to the forum but need some input on a recent hunting situation that happened the other day. I'm hunting Axis deer here in Hawaii and had the following happen. On the way to my stand the other night I heard the buck I've been after let out a series of howls. I moved in a found he and another big buck fighting, and fighting though a fence with each other. It was pretty crazy. I ended up getting within 28yrs but didn't have a good shot and dropped to my knees to wait. They ended up moving left and got within 15yrs. I thought they were at 20 so I used my 20 and took the shot. I saw the arrow hit higher than I wanted and it was sticking out both sides as he ran off. The exit side was between the top of the shoulder and neck. He was quartering away when I shot and I didn't account for that at all. I possibly clipped one lung on the entry side but maybe not. I waited an hr but it was going to get dark so I started the search. I ended up finding my arrow as it must have pulled all the way through. There was blood on the last 8" and fletching but nothing on the broached except for some small pieces of blood/meat. I saw which way he went but the area is thick and trails everywhere. There was no blood anywhere to be seen. I searched and searched and never came across anything or even bumped him. This area is so thick and there are trails under brush that these deer slip through. It's thick enough where you could walk right by a dead deer without seeing him but I truly don't think that was the case. Anyway, I backed out and came back in the am. I continued the search and ended up hearing a deer walk off to my right. I ended up finding a spot where this deer was and there was also a really fresh shed antler there with blood on the shed and blood scattered on the ground. I followed some blood in the direction it went and it was decent for about 40 yrs with blood on the ground, and blood on some grass down low and also some up high, and then it disappeared. I never found another drop and never bumped him again. My question is this. Could my deer have bedded down on a fresh shed and then spooked and got his heart pumping and let out some blood? It looked like it was on both sides of the trail, meaning coming out both holes. Or could I have come across another deer that just dropped it's shed and was bleeding this much and bleeding all over it? I'm not sure how much a deer bleeds with a fresh shed. Hope someone with more experience in this department can chime in. I'm perplexed. Hoping this deer is still alive.

Attachments

·
Former Wyoming Boy
8,664 Posts
I've seen some whitetails that have very recently dropped and there is very little blood. But, it's hard to say.
If the axis in that bed did drop right there and maybe shook his head, you might get droplets like that.
From the shot you describe, he might be dead or he might live through it. There's really no way to be certain.
A tracking dog would've been needed on that kind of trail.
You may have to chalk it up to, lesson learned.
Anytime you don't get both lungs, it's going to be a crapshoot.

·
Corripe Cervisiam
20,875 Posts
Lanai or Maui?

That doesn't look like blood from the deer that shed to me....

I can't tell by your description where you hit him. Sounds like it might be above the backbone....the backbone dips down as it moves forward between the shoulder blades [even more than in this diagram I think] [ Deer skeleton.JPG

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Pedicles can bleed quite a bit after they drop,Id say you found a freshy

·
Corripe Cervisiam
20,875 Posts
Southern hemisphere, opposite of our seasons....I'm pretty sure those deer don't drop for months

The Lanai deer hunt is in Feb...I've seen some deer then just go hard horned. I can't imagine they drop this early

·
Former Wyoming Boy
8,664 Posts
Southern hemisphere, opposite of our seasons....I'm pretty sure those deer don't drop for months

The Lanai deer hunt is in Feb...I've seen some deer then just go hard horned. I can't imagine they drop this early
I never thought of that... makes perfect sense.

·
Former Wyoming Boy
8,664 Posts
Did a little reading... sounds like the rut is normally in June, but they can breed any time of year and bucks shed antlers "on their own schedule." So, I'd guess, it could possibly be a fresh shed.

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
I know nothing about when axis deer in that location are SUPPOSED to shed naturally, but I have seen evidence of severe stress causing premature dropping in whitetails, mule deer and elk.
I think the shed is most likely from your deer and the blood is from both the pedicel and the wounds.

Edited to add: Posted before reading last post by da white shoe.

Interesting shedding schedule info there!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey guys, thanks for adding in on this. The deer here are all over the map with their sheds, velvet and being hard horned. Most have been in velvet over the winter but are now getting hard. This antler isn't from the same deer I shot. I watched the one I shot for 10min or so and was close to 33" or and this one is mid 20"s. There was quite a bit more blood than just the drops in the pics. This is a tough one for sure. My shot definitely was high and pretty sure came out through the neck fat above the spine so I don't think it hit any vitals. Going back to that area this evening so maybe I'll bump into him.

·
Fishing Guide
2,346 Posts
Hawaii is pretty far south but it is still in the Northern Hemisphere.

Looks like muscle blood to me, I agree on a non-vital hit.

·
Corripe Cervisiam
20,875 Posts
Hawaii is pretty far south but it is still in the Northern Hemisphere.

^Good catch....I've hunted them a couple times and know they are completely different timing than our deer....and yes I've seen some hard horned while some were in early velvet so they are all over on that. Seems early for them to be dropping now.....

·
Former Wyoming Boy
8,664 Posts
^Good catch....I've hunted them a couple times and know they are completely different timing than our deer....and yes I've seen some hard horned while some were in early velvet so they are all over on that. Seems early for them to be dropping now.....
With the rut heaviest in June, seems a bad time to lose your jousting weapons. ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts