Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone help me in my search for a long draw length bow? I need at least 32.5" and more than likely 33" for good form and fit. I've searched several manufacturers, Mathews,Bear,Parker,Hoyt,Bowtech. Only Martin, Oneida and Hoyt have bows in the long draw range. I dont like Hoyt at all and the others are a little more $$ than I want to spend. Can someone point me in the right direction? I currently own a Buckmaster (Bear) G2SL at @ 31.5" and its too much strain on my neck and shoulders trying to fit myself to the bow. Is there any way to lengthen the bow I already have?
Someone please :help:

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Well, I really like Martin so that would be my suggestion. I would probably look at the Cougar Elite. I might call Martin though. There are a lot of errors on their web site and in their catalog on some of the available bows. A P3 Elite would probably suit you well, but it is not listed. I would suggest, if you plan on using a peep sight to forget any bow under 40" A2A.

Some of the major reasons I like Martins are:

• They have a wide range of draw length adjustment.
  • They have a 15 lb draw weight adjustment
  • They can be disassembled without the use of a press

·
Registered
42 Posts
I feel your pain martyapo ! :frusty: I'm 6'6" and have a 33" draw. I recently bought the Bow Tech Old Glory in the 32" draw and with the loop it fits really well. I have heard that Martin makes bows that would fit, but I personaly have not tried any.

Tom

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Tom! you're 6 foot 6 and have a 33 inch draw? what the hell's wrong with me?! i'm only 6 feet and my draw's 32... ish. anyways, martyapo, and all you other guys with monkey arms like me, i feel your pain. but i'm sorry martyapo, because i don't really have a suggestion for you...

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Actually, i am 6'-4. Height and arrm length are not the same and my wingspan is only 30ish. I actually shoot 28.5" bow is target and use a 30" for hunting.

The reason is I can activate a back tension release much better at the shorter draw length. I would bet that if any of you would try to open your stance you would have a better hold and a shorter draw. There is no such thing as only one draw length. We actually have a range of draw length. In our case it is about 2 inches or better. The fortunate thing is we can give up a little to increase our accuracy.

The reason you are not able to keep you head up when aiming is not the draw length, its is trying to use too short of an axle to axle bow and a peep sight.

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
we just special ordered a bow from CSS at the shop and sent it to a fellow in canada that had a 33 inch draw...very nice bows also...:)

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to all for the replies. I see I'm not the only one in this boat. I dont understand why more manufacturers dont offer the longer draws, 32'' +. Anyway, thanks again and one more question. Is there anything else I could do to increase the draw on the bow I already have?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Over the years I have done several different things to bows to make them fit or work and have never been satisified. I'm 6'10" with a 34' draw. A few years back I went with a Martin Specter, I don't know if they make it any more but I coudn't be happier. Tighter groups and a bow that fits. I would look to Martin.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Switchback LD is available up to 32" with a d loop, would be a perfect bow for you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts