Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright here's what I currently have. Under Armour Infrared Base 2.0 under Under Armour Ayton Storm fleece lined bibs & jacket. I stay warm and comfy down to around 40°. What is my best option for when temps drop below 30° and into the teens and even into single digits? Should I use my Base 2.0 as a bottom and get some Merino wool mid layer? I've considered the UA Base 5.0 as well. I'd like to keep the bulk to a minimum but warmth is my #1 priority here.

·
Registered
18,420 Posts
merino for base, wool,primaloft,thinsulate goose down vest...do not think you will stay comfy in cold temps with ayton set!

·
Registered
756 Posts
so my setup for 20-30 degrees is

mid weight base layer (i use omniwool or duofold so whatever brands mid weight option, top and bottom)
light weight wicking hiking socks

over this I wear 200 wt fleece pants, 65/35 poly cotton camo pants, then my cheap bibs

up top i have a 100 weight fleece top, a 200 weight fleece jacket and a cheap camo hunting jacket (same as the bibs).

If its gets much colder than that (say 15 or the wind kicks up) I add a light "hiking" down jacket under the camo jacket.
I also usually use a basic fleece balaclava and a camo hat for face/neck/head.

as it drops much below 10, I find the only real way to cope is a big ol down parka, or a blind with a heater :D

·
wolfey
4,145 Posts
Merino base layer, down vest or jacket, wind proof shell. For the legs I just wear merino base then thick sweatpants then wind proof shell. Neck gaitor and a good beanie is essential. Hand muff with thin gloves is important.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
i will wear as many as 3 "base layers" of varying warmth (merino, Scentlock, and some other thermal layer) when it gets down below freezing. Ive found that rescrticts movement less than adding another jacket/pant layer.

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
Silk as your base
Then good merino wool long johns like Cabela's instinct
Then UA base 4
Then whatever you where on the outside
Followed by good insulated boots with silk socks, merino wool socks
Wool cap
Wool gloves

·
fall at last
3,260 Posts
merino base, primaloft "puffy" insulation layer and windproof/insulating outer layer. Keeps me warm down to the teens.

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
H20fwler,
What is it you like about silk?
First..it's just sexy..

It's the best for wicking moisture away. The guys that work in the arctic use it for a base layer as do the Everest climbers...so my first layer when it gets real cold.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
+1 for silk next to the skin. Then Minus 33 layers up top and bottom. After that something down and then wind proof on the outside. Cover your neck and head very well.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I use merino wool base layers, a goose down vest and primaloft outer layer. Good for the coldest MN days on stand.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If I wear silk I may be tempted to drink high priced bourbon and smoke cigars while on the stand. 😊 I can't scrap it unless I wanna hunt bare assed... 😆

1 - 14 of 14 Posts