Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Mathews V3 31 Victory Rip arrows 440 grains, Catfish Customs Strings CBE engage hybrid single pin
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've hunted and shot for 13/14 years now and I have several bows ranging from the pse axe 6 to the omen full throttle etc also shot hoyt with the 75th edition trykon I believe and ive shot Mathews with my v3 and vertix

I really want to try out either a Prime or Elite. dealers aren't really a problem but I just figured I'd see what you all had to say about either of those 2 companies and past experiences etc.

These would be for hunting in that 31-33 ATA

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
466 Posts
What I look for and like in a bow might be completely different than what you’re interested in. I’d suggest you visit some shops and shoot different bows. Bows are completely subjective to the shooter.

·
Registered
Prime inline 5
40 Posts
I will say I shot the inline 3 and liked it but with the center grip it felt like a smaller bow maybe 31" ata. I am also at 30.5 inch draw and the string angle is a bit extreme for my long draw being that the arrow rides higher on the bow. Shop showed me a inline 5 and I was hooked. Thing feels like a 33ata sits dead in my hand and is a blast to shoot. Couldn't make up my mind between the pse evo or the prime they both felt amazing. Went with the prime because our local prime shop is amazing and free strings for life because I shot my last bow for 16 years and 8 pairs of free strings pays for the bow.

Attachments

·
Registered
Mathews V3 31 Victory Rip arrows 440 grains, Catfish Customs Strings CBE engage hybrid single pin
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will say I shot the inline 3 and liked it but with the center grip it felt like a smaller bow maybe 31" ata. I am also at 30.5 inch draw and the string angle is a bit extreme for my long draw being that the arrow rides higher on the bow. Shop showed me a inline 5 and I was hooked. Thing feels like a 33ata sits dead in my hand and is a blast to shoot. Couldn't make up my mind between the pse evo or the prime they both felt amazing. Went with the prime because our local prime shop is amazing and free strings for life because I shot my last bow for 16 years and 8 pairs of free strings pays for the bow.
I love that camo pattern that looks super sharp

Reactions: Juffman2142

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What I look for and like in a bow might be completely different than what you’re interested in. I’d suggest you visit some shops and shoot different bows. Bows are completely subjective to the shooter.
Yes that is very true. Mostly what I was after is just info on how the companies have treated you when you've needed service a little about how you may have gotten along with their bows etc

·
Registered
78 Posts
Like was said above, the inline 5 is a great bow. I shot them all last year and it was a stand out. Fit and finish is top notch. Bow didn’t need anything out of the box to tune.
I haven’t had any need to contact customer service regarding the bow but the shop says they have never had an issue with prime/g5 and they carry near every brand and dont show bias.
I like to buy a new bow far more often than i should and i have the itch now, but it’s real hard to justify letting this one go any time soon.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Like was said above, the inline 5 is a great bow. I shot them all last year and it was a stand out. Fit and finish is top notch. Bow didn’t need anything out of the box to tune.
I haven’t had any need to contact customer service regarding the bow but the shop says they have never had an issue with prime/g5 and they carry near every brand and dont show bias.
I like to buy a new bow far more often than i should and i have the itch now, but it’s real hard to justify letting this one go any time soon.
I appreciate the info thanks! Yeah idk why I want to switch cause I shot my vertix great and my v3 just as well. It's just that itch I guess and I've always been intrigued by their designs that they use on their bows

·
Registered
443 Posts
I like all the Elite hunting bows starting at the Kure and newer. One thing I’ve noticed is that they always have substantial hand shock and vibration until you get them tuned. Don’t let that deter you when you shoot one off the shelf. Once you get them tuned, the shot feels great. I have a Kure that I like just as much as my Vertix.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I appreciate the info thanks! Yeah idk why I want to switch cause I shot my vertix great and my v3 just as well. It's just that itch I guess and I've always been intrigued by their designs that they use on their bows

I did not like my V3 one bit. The draw cycle and grip just werent for me. I never shot it as well as other bows and actually hunted with my back up PSE last year instead of it. I was concerned the big grip on the prime would cause me problems since i like to shoot off a bare riser but it has been great for me.
The folks at G5 were and still are an engineering and CNC company first and I think that shows in their bows.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Need to shoot them all and get a good feel for each one. You can key in on brand, but make sure it is just not for the brand or because a buddy, AT, or the shop wants you to get it. They all make wonderful products this year and I am sure you will be happy with whatever you pick as long as you let your own needs prevail. Shot Mathews for many years, but this year my Prime Inline 3 spoke to me and I am very happy I let it.

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Elites were always a pain to tune for me. The couple Primes I've owned tuned super easy. Quality of both are at the top.

I am looking to see what Prime comes out with this year and won't consider elite. Just my preference/experience.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I like all the Elite hunting bows starting at the Kure and newer. One thing I’ve noticed is that they always have substantial hand shock and vibration until you get them tuned. Don’t let that deter you when you shoot one off the shelf. Once you get them tuned, the shot feels great. I have a Kure that I like just as much as my Vertix.
That is what FMJJ always points out about the elite bows in his reviews. Other than that there is usually nothing else negative that he states about the bow. I agree with you and mine shoots great after the tuning. :D

·
Registered
259 Posts
I love my V3X. Haven't shot the new Elites or Primes but did like some Elites I shot in the past. Another company worth looking at in my opinion is Athens, they make a great bow too.

·
Registered
Prime inline 5
40 Posts
Need to shoot them all and get a good feel for each one. You can key in on brand, but make sure it is just not for the brand or because a buddy, AT, or the shop wants you to get it. They all make wonderful products this year and I am sure you will be happy with whatever you pick as long as you let your own needs prevail. Shot Mathews for many years, but this year my Prime Inline 3 spoke to me and I am very happy I let it.
Same here have had mathews bows since 06 this year the inline 5 won hands down over the v3x 33

·
Registered
29,134 Posts
I have a friend in the archery industry who has shot a ton of bows, worked on a bunch of bows and has bought and resold a lot of bows. Early this year he bought a Prime Inline 5 and was pretty high on it. Didn't talk to him in a few months and texted him the other day to see how he was doing. He related that he was gearing up to hunt a midwest state he has grown to really like and taking his Elite Ritual 35. It was because of his recommendation that I bought my first R35 and have shot nothing else since the summer of 2020. I asked him why he decided to set the Prime aside and hunt with the Elite and he stated what I already know......the Elite just shoots. Like any particular brand and model, there is a learning curve to getting them tuned up and shooting well for you. Since the R35 was a model closeout and I got them NIB with warranty for nearly half of their flagship pricetag, I was willing to learn the nuances and am glad I did. Now I have a pair of really nice bows that fit well and shoot great......at a two-fer pricetag.....literally paid for two what one flagship would cost. Clearly I am not a "flavor of the month" type, so owning a 2022 model does not define my status.

OP.....shoot some bows and decide what works for you. I really liked Prime when I shot them, but they always felt top heavy to me. Maybe the newer ones have addressed that issue? Prior to '20, the only Elite bow I had shot was the old banana grip and I didn't care for it at all......so I never gave them a fair shake. Now a decade later I am happily shooting Elite bows because I stopped considering the label and focus on the character of the particular bow.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
I have a friend in the archery industry who has shot a ton of bows, worked on a bunch of bows and has bought and resold a lot of bows. Early this year he bought a Prime Inline 5 and was pretty high on it. Didn't talk to him in a few months and texted him the other day to see how he was doing. He related that he was gearing up to hunt a midwest state he has grown to really like and taking his Elite Ritual 35. It was because of his recommendation that I bought my first R35 and have shot nothing else since the summer of 2020. I asked him why he decided to set the Prime aside and hunt with the Elite and he stated what I already know......the Elite just shoots. Like any particular brand and model, there is a learning curve to getting them tuned up and shooting well for you. Since the R35 was a model closeout and I got them NIB with warranty for nearly half of their flagship pricetag, I was willing to learn the nuances and am glad I did. Now I have a pair of really nice bows that fit well and shoot great......at a two-fer pricetag.....literally paid for two what one flagship would cost. Clearly I am not a "flavor of the month" type, so owning a 2022 model does not define my status.

OP.....shoot some bows and decide what works for you. I really liked Prime when I shot them, but they always felt top heavy to me. Maybe the newer ones have addressed that issue? Prior to '20, the only Elite bow I had shot was the old banana grip and I didn't care for it at all......so I never gave them a fair shake. Now a decade later I am happily shooting Elite bows because I stopped considering the label and focus on the character of the particular bow.
Don't get me wrong, I was not saying to just buy a Prime. I was merely stating that as a prior Mathews shooter, I was all geared up to buy one, but did myself a favor this year and shot them all and landed on the Prime. It could have been any other model, but this year the Prime Inline 3 just felt right. The grip and stance of the bow felt perfect for me. Now, it is not perfect and accidentally cutting my string a few weeks ago has not helped me out with Oct 1 coming up, but so far I am enjoying the bow and shoot it just as good, if not better than anything I have owned.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts