Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The club I belong to is considering putting a Field Range up on their property, so what better reason to get another bow! I managed to get a lightweight recurve from the classifieds so I can play along with the others. Sights, clicker, rest, stabilizer....but I need arrows.

I shoot carbons out of my longbow for hunting but I thought I would give aluminum shafts a try for paper punching, but not real sure where to start. The bow pulls 30#@28", and my draw length is 31.5".

Any suggestions on make, model, shaft size, point weight, fletching size to get me down the path to Target #1?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
20,780 Posts
John -

If your LB DL is 31.5" we might assume your DL on a target bow will be a little longer (guess). That could easily make the bow over 42#, depending on the specific bow - a bit high for a first target bow.

Your biggest issue will be arrow length, and you might be looking at a full length 2013 in P+ with NIBB points and any fletching you like. (3" feathers are a pretty good first pass.)

Still with that DL, unless your form was dead nuts perfect with the LB, the target recurve may be more of a bear than you'd think.

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input Viper! Hopefully my stature will help with the draw weight. I can draw and hold my 52# LB and let it 'float' for quite a while. Luckily the recurve is an ILF so I can always get lighter limbs. Again, thanks for taking the time to help me out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts