·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
help me!
side
front
side from far

Well I solved a major issue which was hand position, now my scores range 30m=330, 50m=282, 70m=243. All on a 60cm target face.

Thanks guys!

·
(aka lug nut)
49,643 Posts
help me!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIn5WnyXME8&hl

side

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWEIT3wVmrM&hl

front

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKc4zs4fDbU&hl

side from far

Well I solved a major issue which was hand position, now my scores range 30m=330, 50m=282, 70m=243. All on a 60cm target face.

Thanks guys!

You should take a look at this video clip of Marcus,
and then learn how to draw the bow,
just like Marcus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glvCVagfEzU&feature=related

If you cannot maintain your elbow
at the same height at the arrow,
to draw the bow back,
and MUST use the "chicken with a broken wing" technique,
then drop the draw weight.

Keep dropping the draw weight,
until you can keep your elbow at the same height as the arrow,
and draw straight back, just like Marcus.

BOW HAND GRIP

You are holding your bow like a baseball bat.

You have a really long stabilizer,
so you have a very very front heavy bow, just like a target recurve shooter.

The idea is NOT to hold the bow like a baseball bat,
if you have a front heavy bow.

The idea is to use a finger sling
or a bow sling around your wrist,
and to have a relaxed hand.

The fingers do NOT go completely around the bow.

Much better to let the bow fall forward.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIeBGcaETYw

Notice how Park Hyun Sung allows her front heavy bow to just swing.

You are using the baseball bat grip (fingers wrapped completely around the bow)
and catching the bow and slowly controlling the bow as it falls foward.

Here is a video clip of a very famous archery coach (Larry Wise)
and he is teaching his student how to put the bow hand on the grip.

http://www.bowhunting.net/bowtube/media/79/Get_A_Grip_-_Larry_Wise/

Dietmar Trillus. Canadian champion shooter.

Fingers do NOT go completely around the grip.

Another example.

Point the thumb at the target you are shooting at.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
You should take a look at this video clip of Marcus,
and then learn how to draw the bow,
just like Marcus.
Heh, I do something similar to watching his release fingers do a little dance (and make a little love, though since I don't shoot at night too much they mostly get down in the day) before the shot. I would swear I do not do it yet video shows me doing it every single time. Though at least I do it the same every time. I've tried for ages to stop it and finally just accepted it and made sure it was consistent. because of that I love that video.

Dietmar Trillus. Canadian champion shooter.

Fingers do NOT go completely around the grip.
I learned the hard way that this is BAD THING - I was having my bow react as if I was torquing it badly yet video showed I obviously was not. Eventually found out that my index finger was catching on the riser causing the bow to jerk around at odd angles.

I would also add that it seems this particular individual does not really have a good shot sequence. It seems as if they have them jumbled up and has to go back and redo parts of it. In my students I find that this can be the cause of a great deal of form issues (though not really the ones you pointed out for him to work on, might as well get a good shot sequence in at this point). Though he specifically asked for form issues and this is more a mental issue I do feel that it needs pointed out.

You don't really need a very complex one at right now, for the most part just a few steps work well. For my students I teach "stance, nock arrow, grip, pre-draw, draw, anchor, aim, release, and follow through" and that is pretty basic (IIRC it is from one of the NFAA or NAA manuals out there, not claiming it as my own or anything). The important thing is to do it the same every time and only do each of those steps at one time. That is, don't be aiming while drawing or don't be setting your grip while pre-drawing.

The only two sections that need a little explaining are the pre-draw and follow through. Pre-draw is when you raise your bow arm and set your bow shoulder down and back and make sure your overall posture is correct and you bring your string elbow up and begin to engage those critical back muscles (which you should use to draw, aim, release, and follow through). Follow through also covers maintaining your focus on the target until the arrow reaches the target and maintaining back tension till *after* the shot is off (otherwise known as your "explosion").

If you watch the videos Nuts&bolts showed you can clearly see that those individuals have a very similar shot sequence. You can also clearly see that their focus is only on that one part of the game and no where else.

Not that what I'm saying is anything ground breaking (my bet is that nuts&bolts knows how to instruct this better than I do), just that I have found it important to express when I see people shooting a bow at around the skill level you showed. At this point the physical and mental stuff start to be intertwined.

Anywho - back to your regularly scheduled posters - I felt like my once in blue moon replying on one of these threads (I even had another one yesterday - heck must have frosted over!).

·
(aka lug nut)
49,643 Posts
You are demonstrating the DANGEROUS HIGH DRAW method

CJSdrftFLAT:

You are located in San Francisco,
so,
you must be shooting at the archery range in Golden Gate Park.

STOP your method of draw the bow, IMMEDIATELY.

This is known as the HIGH DRAW method.

You are also using the "broken chicken wing" method
to draw the bow.

These are 2 clear signs you have the draw weight MUCH TOO HIGH.

I have taken snap shots of your drawing technique,
which is EXTREMELY unsafe. If your release fails,
your arrow will go an extremely long distance,
and will definitely go over the target you are aiming at,
and you could easily hit a member of the public
at the Golden Gate Park.

CJSdrftFLAT

Your bow hand is way above your shoulder.
Your elbow is at arrow nock height.

Marcus has his bow hand much closer to shoulder height.
Marcus has his elbow above the arrow nock height.

CJSdrftFLAT

You have now RAISED your bow hand even higher than
the 1rst picture. You are now in dangerous territory,
if your release fails or your d-loop breaks.

You have now also started to drop your release side elbow low.

CJSdrftFLAT

Your bow hand is way too high.

Release side elbow is way too low.

If your d-loop broke right now,
your arrow could easily go 200 yards at this launch angle.

CJSdrftFLAT

You are now starting to overload your arm strength,
and getting into the "chicken with the broken wing" position.

Please, reduce your draw weight by at least 10 lbs. Put your bow
into the MINIMUM draw weight.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
btw I solved my bow grip problem, it is consistently how it should be. Other than my chicken wing problem, is there anything else that should be brought into my attention... head position, no nose touch on string, one eye closed? I don't touch my nose on the string, I shoot with one eye closed. Should I be doing these things?

Thanks

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
btw I solved my bow grip problem, it is consistently how it should be. Other than my chicken wing problem, is there anything else that should be brought into my attention... head position, no nose touch on string, one eye closed? I don't touch my nose on the string, I shoot with one eye closed. Should I be doing these things?

Thanks
Check for your eye dominance, if you're left eye-dominant, then yes you need to close it, if not don't. It would be a good idea, if your anchor and form allows you to have the nose on the string.

·
(aka lug nut)
49,643 Posts
nutsandbolts you are my hero.
I work in San Francisco,
and I teach for free at an indoor range in Palo Alto, near Hwy 101
and San Antonio Road.

Come on down to the indoor range,
and I can give you free lessons, if you are interested.

You have your video camera on the ground,
so it is very difficult to see much detail.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
nuts&bolts I might have to take you up on your offer.

ok I tried shooting with both eyes open and I can't seem to focus on the target because the pin disappears. Is it a problem with my glasses?

·
Arrow Whisperer
11,105 Posts
Ok, I suggest you only work on one thing at a time.... the grip needs to be the first thing. Once you have that you can throw the arm guard away. You have pics posted showing you how to grip a bow, and the word grip is actually wrong if you are gripping a bow you are holding it wrong. You hand is mearly a point for the bow to sit against.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Why do you shoot with a rubber band on your peep

It slows your bow down and it looks pretty bad with a freestyle set up

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It slows your bow down and it looks pretty bad with a freestyle set up
I have peep alignment issues. Ever since I got the self adjusting peep, I am less frustrated when I shoot.

·
Registered
59 Posts
First of all, let me say that I'm no expert, but...

There are some guys on here giving you some fantastic advice. I would recommend that you concentrate on getting the basic things corrected (like your draw) that nuts and bolts talked about before you worry about very many other things. Heck, I think it would be beneficial to stand very close to the bale and just practice the basic things they told you about. Get those things working correctly and then move on the some of the other things you want to work on.

Again, not trying to say I'm an expert. Just my $.02!

·
Registered
717 Posts
Your release needs some work. You should read some articles on back tension.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts