Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Switchback, Trophy Ridge Mantis SG pendulum sight.

I sight in on on the ground, sight locked down at 25 yards. Bullseye everytime.

Take it up in a tree, release the pendulum, and I am shooting to the right 4 inches.

The pendulum appears to be very tight.

Is there anything besides a problem with my sight that could cause a r/l shooting problem? I could see a problem with up/down a little more easily, but I can't figure out why a right/left problem could develop.

Thanks!

· Registered
755 Posts
Are you making use of a sight level so you know you aren't canting your bow?
Looking at my level is one of my steps in aiming.

· Registered
1,485 Posts
Thinking more about the sight level thing, have you checked your "third axis" on the sight? That will help so the sight pin doesn't drift left/right when tilted up/down.

· Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys for the tips. This is a new sight (I used a keller in the past) and it does, in fact, have a level. But, I don't think that I've ever looked at it. I'll double check that tonight. It could be that I had the same problem with the Keller but the sight bead itself was so big that it generally covered up the whole card (I use playing cards for bullseyes). The trophy ridge has a much smaller sight bead, so that could be part of it. Thanks guys, I'll check it out. I also want to be sure there is no slippage on the shaft of the pendulum...I don't think that there is, but I'll check that too.

· Registered
1,284 Posts
You might check this are you bending at the waist? Draw your bow while your in the tree point the bow straight out in front of you like you draw if you were on the ground, then bend at the waist and aim. If you point your bow downward and draw your anchor changes and it will make you shoot different than you would off the ground, if you do not bend at the waist 1st.

· aka "5 Spot"
9,767 Posts
Well I checked the level on the ground and it looks good...Can't really ensure that the bow is level when aiming down from the platform. Any other thoughts?
You'll need a bow vise or some way to secure your bow in a truly vertical position. Assuming you have a vise, using a torpedo level placed against your string be sure your bow is plumb in both directions. Be mindful that neither end of the level is on the string serving. Now look at the level in your sight. Unless your sight has an adjustment for this you'll have to use some bushing to level it. What I use on my hunting bow for bushing is nothing more than thin cardboard - something like your sight was packaged in. Simply place enough "bushings" between the sight and where it mounts to the riser - place these in the CENTER of the area where the sight touches the riser.

Once you have this set, be very mindful of your sight level when aiming. Start by drawing on what you know is a level surface - if your sight level is off in either direction, you probably have an issue with your grip. If you're confident in your grip, but still draw the bow and it's canted to either side, you may consider using side weights so that a "plumb" draw is automatic. I shoot left handed which means there's more weight on the left side of my bow (sight); however, I actually need more weight on that side. I use a Doinker A-Bomb with a rear mount that is just barely off center. Sometimes I still get into an "argument" with my sight level - I think I'm holding the bow plumb but it is telling me something different. I can assure you, if you have the sight level with the string, it is "correct" and if you don't "listen" to it you will shoot left or right.

Now to aid in shooting either up or down hill it is also important to be certain that your sight is at a true 90 degrees to the string. Place your bow on anything that will hold it steady with the string up. Use a light weight plumb bob and attach it to your nock point. Let the plumb bob hang down and tilt the bow as necessary such that the plumb bob string is hanging directly in line with your arrow rest - now look at the level in your sight. If it is not still in the center then you need to adjust the sight as necessary. Again, some thin cardboard works fine as a bushing for sights that do not have an adjustment. Again, simply place the bushing between the sight and where it mounts to the riser, but instead of center, place the bushing either at the front or back of the contact area.

Rinse and repeat until all is well. :wink:

· Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK guys, great info. I like that discussion of the 3rd axis. I don't have an adjustment for mine I don't think. But that makes some sense. As the pedulum moves away from the bow while I an leaning over, that could exaggerate and 3rd axis issue. Wow...I've never thought of that. Has to be even more pronounced on a pendulum...........

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.