Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a G5 Prime Shift. I'm shooting a QAD Pro Rest and a Spott Hogg Hogg It sight. The arrow rest is well tuned and shooting bullet holes. However, I can not move the sight far enough left to hit dead center in a target. I can not get better than shooting about 2 inches left at 20 yards. I've mounted the sight in as far to the left as possible with the bracket that is included. Am I doing something wrong? I'm certainly no expert. Is there a better sight to use? Thanks for any guidance. Tom PS I shoot 1 eye closed if that matters.

·
Registered
773 Posts
That's pretty unusual for any bow that you'd have to move your sight so far to the left that you run out of room.

The first thing I would do is hand it to a buddy and have him try to sight it in. It could be that you're torquing the grip (because you're not used to it, etc) which is throwing your arrows so far out to one side. I would also have him try to shoot through paper as well, since I've handed the same bow to three different people before and saw them all get six different tears.

Also, what kind of anchoring device are you using? If you're using a kisser button and not centering your string well enough you could be having the same problem. Make sure that when you anchor you have the string lined up as close to the string as you can (I'm not sure of the exact technique because I've never used a kisser button before without a peep sight, but geometrically it would make sense if your string was too far to the right of the pins).

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All good thoughts and thanks. My Mathews Z7 Xtreme shots great with the same sight and it doesn't have to move to the far left. The same is true of my Elite Hunter. The G5 shots sweet and it is shooting bullet holes on the paper tune. I don't think I'm torquing the bow. The riser arrow shelf on this bow is a little unusual and I'm wondering if that is the difference. I don't have anyone else here to shoot it today, but I will take it to the shop and have some one give it a look. It appears I need a spacer between the sight mount and the bow but I know that sounds even more odd. Ha. Thanks for your reply. Best regards, Tom

·
Registered
4,492 Posts
Primes tune right down the middle so for you to be moving your sight that far to the left screams of something not being set up right

·
Registered
4,492 Posts
by the way, you said you shoot with one eye closed, which eye?

·
Registered
623 Posts
Primes tune right down the middle so for you to be moving your sight that far to the left screams of something not being set up right
This is true. Some thing is out of whack. Maybe the shop you got it at can help? My Spot Hogg required very little movement to get it set up. Does your sight have the 3rd axis? Is it square? Good luck dude.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. I'll take it to the shop. I'm right handed and shoot with my left eye closed. I guess I'm surprised with how great it shoots (paper tunes) combined with the fact that I can't get the sight to line up. Maybe I can just compensate in my aiming... Kidding. Thanks again for the help. I thought something must be up... Tom

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ha! Thanks. It's a great bow. Looks like we have almost the same set up. If you can make it work, I should be able to find a way to duplicate that success. Imitation is the ultimate form of flattery. Take care and thanks man! Tom PS I know you guys had a storm event recently. We are having the leftover part of Hurricane Lee come through Birmingham, AL now. Wind and rain and rain and rain and no chance to shoot my bow outside. I'm confined to 18 yard range in the basement.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts