Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello,

I am new to the sport and I am trying to sight in my bow. it is shooting high so I have moved the pin up bit it seems to still hit the same spot about a a foot above where I am putting the pin. I cannot move the pin much more.
any help would be great

Trev

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Change the nock height. Raise it up a little.
Shawn F.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Despain,

First and foremost, it is important that the bow be set for your draw length. Too long or too short of a draw length can drastically effect your shooting. I recommend having a Pro Shop check your draw length as the starting point.

Standing close to your target, close your eyes, draw the bow with an arrow on the rest and come to full draw (string should be fully extendedl) anchor solidly against your jaw. Open your eyes without moving your head. Is the peep lined up with your eye? The kisser at the corner of your mouth? Is the string touching your nose? If all of the above reference points are not lined up, the bow is not set properly for you.

Your reference points should be any combination of the following:
1. Bow fully drawn and at the wall (can't draw any more).
2. Hand solidly anchored on your jaw.
3. Peep is lined up with your eye without moving your head.
4. String touching your nose.
5. Kisser at the corner of your mouth.

When the bow is properly set for your draw length and to fit you, these things will be the same every time giving you good reference points.

The main thing on the rest is to be sure it is set for center and that the prongs are adjusted properly so you do not have fletching contact which will effect your arrow flight. This too can be checked at your Pro Shop.

Now you are ready to start setting your distances or pins.

Take a piece of cardboard, draw a 1" line on it with a magic marker. Place the cardboard on your target with the line vertical. Move to 20 yards and shoot at the line. Adjust the BODY of your sight left or right until you are hitting the line. Note: If you are hitting right move the sight body right. If you are hitting left, move the sight body left.

Now turn to cardboard so the line is horizontal and move to the closest distance you want your first or top pin to be set at. Shoot at the line, adjusting the top PIN up or down until all arrows are hitting the line. Note: If your arrows are hitting high, move the pin up in small increments. If your arrows are hitting low, move the pin down in small increments.

Repeat the horizontal process for setting your remaining pins at each distance. The distance you want your pins set for depends on the type of shooting you do. Some set their pins for a 10,20,30,40,50 yards. Others set theirs for 15,25,35,45,55 yards. It is totally up to you what distances you choose to set your pins at.

This should get you started on your set up and flinging arrows!

Take Care and Shoot Straight!

·
Registered
109 Posts
peep location

before moving your knok position make sure that your peep sight is in the right place some beginners put it too low or too high.
draw your bow with your eyes closed. settle in to your ancor point making sure that your head posittion is not too high or too low and open your eyes. if your peep is in front of you with out a problem then your fine otherwise move itand repeat the process. some times a friend can be helpfull when doing this.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thqnks all

thanks evey one I followed advice and have been shooting toady and hitting the mark.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts